Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A little bit of water and my Krypto completely seized, had to have some WD40 driven down to me to get it open so I could get home. Anyone else ever had this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ED E wrote: »
    A little bit of water and my Krypto completely seized, had to have some WD40 driven down to me to get it open so I could get home. Anyone else ever had this happen?
    mine started to get difficult to unlock a while ago, I just sprayed in some lubricant and it worked like new again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes. Unless you were very accurate with the WD40, you'll want to spend some time cleaning off the excess if you don't want to spend the next few weeks getting WD40 all over your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Never had one seize. But I do let one drop of 3-in-1 fall into the keyhole once a week and let gravity draw it down for a while. Maybe that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

crazy-parenting-fails-parenting-fails-i-mean-its-out-already.jpg

I use this on nuts and bolts and rub it onto my steel frame where the paint is chipped, and in my lock too,
    http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf50.htm
    ACF50AntiCorrosionFo1.jpg

that stuff is also part of my chain cleaning routine. I put the chain in a large basin with cheap bio clothes detergent powder and hot water, shake it about and leave it for 10mins, then rinse it out with warm water a few times.

put it back back on the bike and put some white lightening clean ride on first, then a little acf50 for a silent clean chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

http://www.rapha.cc/made-in-china

Rapha must be taking the piss with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hmmm, could I pull it off, black pink and yellow!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55909

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

now that its made in china are they gonna bring the prices down? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

And with this...
    http://www.rapha.cc/jersey-downsize-offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mine started to get difficult to unlock a while ago, I just sprayed in some lubricant and it worked like new again.
    Yeah, once it was lubricated it opened right up.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Yes. Unless you were very accurate with the WD40, you'll want to spend some time cleaning off the excess if you don't want to spend the next few weeks getting WD40 all over your hands.

Got rag along with the WD40 so only the keyhole got it :)

Bikes going to be stored till january now so along with the clean I'll make sure the lock is properly lubricated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I think the mods are asleep today;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Holyboy wrote: »
    I think the others are at the annual Mods coke and hookers party. I'm awake though ....

Having said that it's vitually inpossible for us to read every post in the forum, and we do rely on other users to report any posts they may be concerned about;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I think the others are at the annual Mods coke and hookers party. I'm awake though ....

Awake!
    That'd be the coke.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Holyboy wrote: »

meh - working, recovering from chiroperactic treament, xmas shopping, left tree outside and its now dripping over the living room

give me a break

must get an hours kip before going out

Got rag along with the WD40 so only the keyhole got it :)

Mine also seized up where the shackle goes into the lock bit, so I had to spray lube into that too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was the youngest's birthday today. I reckon the 7th birthday is the most anticipated of all. He's been looking forward to getting his Hornby train set for 4 or 5 months now...

... and I've been waiting over 40 years:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

Don't forget to buy a few of these and place them at the level crossings...;)

model-bike-kit.jpg

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Don't forget to buy a few of these and place them at the level crossings...;)
    Model ghostbikes?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Beasty wrote: »
    It was the youngest's birthday today. I reckon the 7th birthday is the most anticipated of all. He's been looking forward to getting his Hornby train set for 4 or 5 months now...

... and I've been waiting over 40 years:)

My son was around 6-7 when he got his starter hornby train set, he is now 10 and still loves it and adds to it every Christmas and Birthday as well as saving his €2 pocket money for new items. he has got to the stage now where he needs a dedicated space for it in the house which gives me the excuse to finally put in the long planned man shed in the back garden. and I get as much fun out of the set as he does.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is the type of thing that would happen if Bo & Luke Duke were cyclists......

http://www.bicycling.com/news/advocacy/when-cop-says-stop?page=0,0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just finished the David Millar biog - Racing Through The Dark. Enjoyed it immensely. Now I am not a David Millar fan, in fact I have always thought him a sanctimonious boring ponce. There is nothing in the book to persuade me to change my mind. Nonetheless it is well written and a very interesting story of a man who has led an interesting and sometimes quite a sad life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have been doing a little bit of restoration lately, nothing major, just an unloved old bike. Almost as satisfying as cycling. Chrome bits are now almost good as new, handlebars look beautiful after paint. Still nasty to ride though...Over to you, Sheldon Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

link is down now, meant to have a goo when the email came in at first. diff link here. Same material?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

uberwolf wrote: »
    link is down now, meant to have a goo when the email came in at first. diff link here. Same material?

Same content.

Good place for star-gazing, North Korea:

185844.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

^^^^^^^^^ tomasrojo, any chance you can provide similar for West Dublin this week??
    The abundance of blue Christmas lighting must make Earth look like some sort of slow-moving outer-space ambulance.

^^^^^^^^^ tomasrojo, any chance you can provide similar for West Dublin this week??
    The abundance of blue Christmas lighting must make Earth look like some sort of slow-moving outer-space ambulance.

Don't be sneering at our Chrimbling. It's our culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Have been doing a little bit of restoration lately, nothing major, just an unloved old bike. Almost as satisfying as cycling. Chrome bits are now almost good as new, handlebars look beautiful after paint. Still nasty to ride though...Over to you, Sheldon Brown.

Pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

woo! Got Stone Roses tickets-will be seeing them twice in a week next summer :D

I can't do justice to this.

185870.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just read a good joke on Facebook.

'Didnt know what to get my son for xmas so I got a blank dvd and wrote 'Torres Best Moments' on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Put it in the right context for the cycling forum.

"Didnt know what to get my son for xmas so I got a blank dvd and wrote 'LA's <snip> victories' on it!"

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

^^^ go to engrish.com for more of the same.

in the daft Chrimbo jokes......

I was playing MW3 on the PS3 last night and the wife asked if she could watch something Christmassy on the TV - so I put in FIFA2012 and set the conditions to snow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

colm18 wrote: »
    woo! Got Stone Roses tickets-will be seeing them twice in a week next summer :D

I'd go and see them in the O2 but not outdoors in a large field.
    As a seasoned gig goer my priorities these days are babysitters, parking facilities, quality of red wines available at said gig and comfortable seating. "Rock and indeed..Roll!" :D

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I'd go and see them in the O2 but not outdoors in a large field.
    As a seasoned gig goer my priorities these days are babysitters, parking facilities, quality of red wines available at said gig and comfortable seating. "Rock and indeed..Roll!" :D

+1. I would love to see the Roses, but they are not a large venue outdoor band IMHO. Some bands are, some are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I bought a ticket. I live in chapelizod now, so its not such a big deal to wander over and back to the fridge. I might bury some red wines under a tree a few days beforehand.

• Advertisement

I bought a ticket. I live in chapelizod now, so its not such a big deal to wander over and back to the fridge. I might bury some red wines under a tree a few days beforehand.

I love Chapo. The Villager is one of the best pubs in Dublin. I lived in Chapo when the Pixies played in the park. We had to walk all the way islamdbridge to get in. Ridiculous. The Park is a great place for a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ROK ON wrote: »
    I love Chapo. The Villager is one of the best pubs in Dublin. I lived in Chapo when the Pixies played in the park. We had to walk all the way islamdbridge to get in. Ridiculous. The Park is a great place for a gig.

Yeah I lived there a few years ago. Its good most of my friends live there. The Villager is indeed a great pub. But not that well known so sssshhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

worked for many years in a printers in 'Chapo'. Indeed The Villager is one of those little gems of a pub. The Mullngar house across the road not as nice.
    Spent many an after work there figuring out if I could have a 2nd pint and still be below the limit.

According to Google Maps, it's true - one does not simply walk into Mordor......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I tried it with the starting position as Dublin (I didn't see The Shire part of the story), and it gave me directions to the Irish Film Institute, which is cool in and of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Shortest* day of the year today. Hooray :)

*Technically, today is the same length as every other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Actually, tomorrow will be one second shorter than today so we're not at rock bottom just yet. :(

What has the world come to when the solstice falls on the 22nd? I blame the catholic church - specifically, pope Gregory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

However, there's been a a grand stretch in the evenings since about the 17th...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies if this has been posted before, found it on bikereader:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]accident - A crash, especially when death or injury is involved.
    to go out of control - as in 'the vehicle went out of control'. The driver lost control of the vehicle.
    I didn't see you - 1) I didn't look. 2) I looked but as you are only a cyclist I decided to pull out anyway.
    road tax - Motor vehicle excise duty.
    fast but safe - a driver who habitually speeds and is a danger to other road users.
    killed (by a motor vehicle), as in 'the cyclist was killed by the lorry' - Usually used to deflect responsibility away from the driver of the vehicle and as a way of avoiding saying 'The cyclist was killed by the lorry driver.'
    in collison with, as in 'the cyclist was in collision with the car'. The cyclists was run down by the car driver.
    hurtling, as in 'the cyclist was hurtling along'.The Cyclist was doing 14 MPH.
    racing, as in 'The Cyclist was racing along''. The cyclist was doing 16 MPH.
    madman or 'maniac' as in 'The cyclist was riding like a madman/maniac'. The cyclist was doing 18 MPH.
    dawdling, as in 'The driver was dawdling along'. The diver was only exceeding the legal speed limit by 2-3 MPH.
    obstructive, as in 'The driver was deliberately obstructing me.' The motorist was driving along at 29 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.
    social inadequate - 1) any cyclist, 2) a motor vehicle driver who keeps to the speed limits.
    two wheeled terrorist - any cyclist who in consideration of their own safety takes to a section of footway.
    lycra lout - Any cyclist who rides in an assertive and confident manner or appears to expect other road users to recognise that they have equal rights on the public road.
    innocent motorist - All drivers of motor vehicles, including those who speed or drive without due consideration of others.
    persecuted motorist - A driver who has been prosecuted for breaking road traffic law.
    occasionally drift over the speed limit - 'habitually and wilfully flaunt the speed limit.
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

cdaly_ wrote: »
    However, there's been a a grand stretch in the evenings since about the 17th...

And sunrise will keep getting later until the end of the year. Why's that Ted?

And sunrise will keep getting later until the end of the year. Why's that Ted?
    The summer and winter solstices coincide with the dates of the longest and shortest days respectively but they do not correspond to the dates when the Sun begins to rise later and set earlier in summer or when the Sun begins to rise earlier and set later in winter. For example, in London in 1986 the earliest and latest sunrises are on June 17 and December 31 respectively, the latest and earliest sunsets are on June 25 and December 12, and the solstices themselves occur on June 21 and December 22.

The reason why these three pairs of dates do not coincide lies in the fact that at certain times of the year the interval between the noons (when the Sun is due south) on successive days is slightly greater than twenty- four hours of clock time, and at other times of the year slightly less, the differences cancelling one another out over the whole year. This effect is caused by a combination of the eccentricity (or non-circularity) of the Earth's orbit around the Sun and the inclination of its equator to its orbit plane. Near the summer and winter solstices the interval between successive noons is about thirteen and thirty seconds respectively greater than twenty-four hours and, since this difference is greater than that between successive sunrise and set times, it gives rise to the staggered effect of the earliest sunrise or set, the solstice, and the latest sunrise or set. The effect is more pronounced in December than in June due to the larger daily difference from twenty-four hours. If the interval between successive noons was always exactly twenty-four hours the solstices would then coincide with the earliest and latest sunrises and sunsets.
    http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/nao/aisinfo/ais011.pdf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement