Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I started a thread in the feedback forum about doping speculation. You can find it here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just got the long awaited email to say I've been made redundant. Looks like my mileage will be going up.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Just got the long awaited email to say I've been made redundant. Looks like my mileage will be going up.

:( Sorry to hear it dude. Hope you find something else in the very near future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    :( Sorry to hear it dude. Hope you find something else in the very near future.

Not before Sunday though, I'm looking forward to watching the business end of the TdF, I was supposed to be off last week and this. I also had holidays in May that were cancelled so I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks off. I only barely missed a couple of weeks extra redundancy by a couple of weeks.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Shit buzz, hope you get something else soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Put up a wanted ad in the classifieds section looking for a second hand Boards jersey.

Somehow managed to end up creating a new order. Sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://app.strava.com/activities/67057155

Ten Dam gets a KOM on Mount Ventoux and over 1600 Kudos for today's stage! (or that should be yesterday's)

And he's using a Forerunner 210, how odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hardCopy wrote: »
    Yes, I thought that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My front brakes are squeeling and I'm not carrying a pig under there. It happens when I brake moderately to heavily. What's that likely to be caused by and is the fix a simple enough adjustment?

Cork Cycling Festival is holding a basic bike workshop thing in a few weeks so I hope to pick up a bit of info there to be able to figure this stuff out myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

hardCopy wrote: »

Belkin are sponsored by Pioneer. I don't think their head unit is compatible with Strava, hence the Garmin watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

John

Sorry to hear that. Ive been there and I think you have been there in the past also unfortunately. Not a nice place. Chin up and stay active. I really do think that the economy is bottoming, and while that may sound like pollyanna type nonsense, I hope it will mean that you will find a job easier than you would have if made redundant say three years ago.

Very best of luck.
    If you are in Dublin or down in the Kingdom at any stage give me a bell and we will have a jar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lyaiera wrote: »
    My front brakes are squeeling and I'm not carrying a pig under there. It happens when I brake moderately to heavily. What's that likely to be caused by and is the fix a simple enough adjustment?

Cork Cycling Festival is holding a basic bike workshop thing in a few weeks so I hope to pick up a bit of info there to be able to figure this stuff out myself.
    I had some brake squeal a few weeks ago. Frightened the bejaysus out of me when it happened the first time approaching a right turn in traffic.

Check the rims to make sure there's nothing on them, give them a clean (window cleaner works well apparently). If it persists, get a bit of sandpaper and give your brake pads (not the rim!) a roughing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nice:

o9vPFpq.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bummer that Havoc. Hope something turns up soon.

OTOH, http://www.audaxireland.org...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thargor wrote: »
    Something similar posted about a few months ago (see the video in the second post). They look like they shouldn't be able to stay attached, but they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Starting to fit back into clothing that I got too fat for thanks to cycling..no greater feeling :o

Lyaiera wrote: »

Brakes tend to squeal when the rear of the pad makes contact with the rim before the front. Sand the rear of the pads so that they "toe in" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zyzz wrote: »
    Starting to fit back into clothing that I got too fat for thanks to cycling..no greater feeling :o

Good job buddy! Keep track of as much of your progress as you possibly can, you'll get more chances to see how much you're really achieving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

I interpreted that sentence as saying you "got too fat... thanks to cycling". My massive thighs mean I feel your pain! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Gotta love this- Yoga classes in Cork with discount for cyclists- link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I threw out all my 'skinny' clothes ages ago thinking I'd never be able to go near them again. Now that I'm approaching 'normality' again through cycling I find myself in need of a new wardrobe!

I like to think of this as my Buddy Love phase:

Good job buddy! Keep track of as much of your progress as you possibly can, you'll get more chances to see how much you're really achieving.

One thing I regret was not taking some good 'before' photos so I could compare. I go to an annual black tie award dinner thing with work - it really struck home how different I look when I saw the photos from this year, I look like a different person compared to just 12 months ago (I started cycling a year ago this week). This time last year I rented a size 46 tux for the night - this year I rented a size 40.

I <3 my bike! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good luck with the job hunt Mon Capitaine!

You'll get something else, enjoy the time off while you have it!

I'll join you and ROK ON for that drink, we can get totally rat arsed and talk to some lovely recruiters in Coppers :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'll join you and ROK ON for that drink, we can get totally rat arsed and talk to some lovely recruiters in Coppers :)

Moving into the public sector Dirk? :)

I thought you said pubic sector for a second...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I thought you said pubic sector for a second...

Your pubic sector must have become fully redundant by now eh Dirk?

Lumen wrote: »

He's decentralised it iirc

It's those damn unions, they make it so hard to open negotiations after it all starts to break down.

After polling the members, I'll be slipping my lengthy ballot into the box on friday, we should see both sides come to an agreement by then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

It's a pain in the ass when it's the other way around. All the club gear I bought earlier in the year is now too big for me.

I bought some normal glasses, spent around an hour in Specsavers looking around and ended buying the ones with carbon arms. I need professional help :o

• Advertisement

So originally I dropped my track bike in on Monday to the LBS to have the steerer tube cut and the star nut installed, and asked them to have a look at the bottom bracket, it was the one from my previous bike and wasn't in the best of condition.

So he says he'll ring me the next day, and after no call I rang him near closing time and he tells me he hasn't even touched the bike. So anyways, this morning I get a call saying the bike's ready but he had to install a new bottom bracket, and of course the price is the usual LBS stuff. So I go around, and it turns out he's misread the old BB length of 103mm and put in a 113mm one, so the chainline is out a whopping 10mm and the chain is visibly stretched. He insists that 'it's grand, sure look it's running!', but I refused to take it and tell him it'll have to be at most a 110mm spindle or else I'll end up dead.

Ensue the moans and groans of "I'll have to do it all over again now jaysus." Despite the fact it was his mistake.

So I'm still waiting on the bike. Je ne suis pas content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I bought some normal glasses, spent around an hour in Specsavers looking around and ended buying the ones with carbon arms. I need professional help :o

Pics or GTFO.

Need a new gear cable and brake pads, thoughts on both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think you should get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shimano, Koolstop.

Swissstop for brake pads, shimano for gear cable.

Shimano, Koolstop.

Alligator I-Links, Koolstop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jagwire for cables, Koolstop for pads

Koolstop it is so. The cable doesn't have to be the best..just that it works :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Koolstop it is so. The cable doesn't have to be the best..just that it works :o

But Jagwire has different colour housing to match to your bike or your kit. 30euro from CSS AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Loads of Giro Ditalia officials measuring Belfast city center streets today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

el tel wrote: »
    Loads of Giro Ditalia officials measuring Belfast city center streets today.

Wonder will they go and see the traditional "street theatre" performances later tonight?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

furiousox wrote: »
    Wonder will they go and see the traditional "street theatre" performances later tonight?

I'm sure they think the place is rare! Street Gauntlet or safari more like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

love SRAM shifters

• Advertisement

God damn gear cable snapped, no cycling till I can get another, just as the sun comes out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

God damn gear cable snapped, no cycling till I can get another, just as the sun comes out :(

tumblr_luq8vq1Zdl1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Pretend you have a single speed and churn that huge gear like Hinault.

(PS - happened me on a spin last year. Rode the last 40kms home in 10th and 20th gear).

Raam wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO.

That's the best I can do with the phone..

263087.jpeg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement