Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hi all, Lad in work is looking to get a bike on the btw scheme and lives over the north side. Anyone recommend a good bike shop over that side of town or even city center?

The Bike Hub in Howth or the aforementioned Richie's in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have my dad's old Steel framed Raleigh Outland sitting outside with the chain and cassette stripped, new tubes and brake cables, a bottle of Slime (Dr Sludge actually), tools, grease and oil at the ready and, after 11 days, no sign of my single speed conversion kit and chain tensioner from Wiggle :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anybody else was stopped for jumping red lights in Dublin centre today? Didn't matter that I stopped, checked if the road is clear etc ;) I could even get a proper fine if I refused to walk back to these lights and ride again on green ;)

Guards seem to have some cyclist education action going. Very good.

alkos wrote: »
    Anybody else was stopped for jumping red lights in Dublin centre today? Didn't matter that I stopped, checked if the road is clear etc ;) I could even get a proper fine if I refused to walk back to these lights and ride again on green ;)

No excuse for jumping a red, you'll probably be sitting there for at most a minute longer.

alkos wrote: »

Every time a cyclist jumps a red light a motorist's doubt over their crappy lifestyle choices dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No excuse for jumping a red, you'll probably be sitting there for at most a minute longer.

Sure. I tend not to do it most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bcmf wrote: »
    What an absolute wagon of an evening. Hung around for two and a half hours to pick up a part for the car only to recieve a txt saying 'Sorry.that part is broken'. Really. Well Why the fook didnt you check it when I agreed to meet up and take it off ya on sat.

Got 4 tyres last week.
    Got home and tried to take one of the wheels off to have a look at my handbrake.
    Two hours later. 1 broken wheel brace. 1 broken socket.1 rounded wheelnut and 1 damaged alloy and that was just trying to take one wheel off.
    Tried the other 3 wheels and not a fooking budge out of any of the nuts. and that was with a breaker bar with an extension.
    Gonna bring the broken wheelbrace back to the tyre place, wrap it around his head before I inform him that his airgun is set to a too high of torque.
    what if i got a flat on the side of the m50 with the wife and kids in the car and not be able to take the wheel off?

http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Wheel-Nut-Gun-With-Jack.html

wheel_gun_jack_sml.jpg

got one of these when i put my back out - only had to use it once on someones jeep no bother getting wheels off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Met a family of 4 heading off cycling to the Isle of Man on two bikes this morning. Two bikes, one rear seat, one trailer and about six panniers. Hope they have a good time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

lennymc wrote: »

Just realized your problem is with your nuts :)

My 'nuts' are fine... but the wheel nuts on my car are the problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Wheel-Nut-Gun-With-Jack.html

wheel_gun_jack_sml.jpg

got one of these when i put my back out - only had to use it once on someones jeep no bother getting wheels off

Cheers. Nice one ed. Will put it on the 'stuff to buy thats not cycle related' list
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    ... Isle of Man .... a good time...

Two phrases that dont really go together.

On a scale of 1 to Lance Armstrong, how unacceptable is it for me to wear black socks with grey MTB shoes? If it helps they have a little bit of fluorescent yellow around the top...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

stetyrrell wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to Lance Armstrong, how unacceptable is it for me to wear black socks with grey MTB shoes? If it helps they have a little bit of fluorescent yellow around the top...

I'll need to reread the charter but I'm pretty sure admitting or encouraging people to wear black socks is a banable offence.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a fire at the amusements at Great Gas (Turvey) when I cycled past about an hour ago. Several fire tenders attending and lots of smoke.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll need to reread the charter but I'm pretty sure admitting or encouraging people to wear black socks is a banable offence.
    Hang on - he's only encouraging MTB'ers to do so - surely the "Rules" don't apply to this situation

Speaking of socks - I passed a chap in Clontarf tonight with black socks to just below the knee. Weirdly the rest of his gear was spot on and there was no sign that he was coming from/to football training (e.g. kit bag etc.).

Why???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Speaking of socks - I passed a chap in Clontarf tonight with black socks to just below the knee. Weirdly the rest of his gear was spot on and there was no sign that he was coming from/to football training (e.g. kit bag etc.).

Why???

The main thing is that you passed him. All that matters in the end.
    :D

The main thing is that you passed him. All that matters in the end.
    :D
    Yea, it was one of those will I/won't I situations where the rider in front seems just fractionally slower and when you pass you have to keep up the pressure to avoid embarrassment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Yea, it was one of those will I/won't I situations where the rider in front seems just fractionally slower and when you pass you have to keep up the pressure to avoid embarrassment!

Shorter socks = marginal gains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Hang on - he's only encouraging MTB'ers to do so - surely the "Rules" don't apply to this situation

Making excuses for a cycling fashion heretic :eek:
    Reported.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was informed by a clubmate recently that a rider from another club had commented on my lack of respect for cycling fashion with regard to sock choice.

tumblr_lrmgl94E131qhauh0o1_500_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Why???

Alex Dowset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Sean Kelly interview on D'Arcy on Today fm now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Thinking of getting my teeth whitened so when people see me struggling on the bike its less scary :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Zyzz wrote: »
    Thinking of getting my teeth whitened so when people see me struggling on the bike its less scary :pac:

2046-ct824-3-600.jpg

Single speed conversion kit arrived today.

Stripping down teh bike I discovered:
    1. The dust cap on the left crank disentegrated when I tried to turn it gently with a coin.
    2. Theres an odd sized bolt holding the cranks on, that's too big to let me use a crank puller yet...think I need to borrow a socket set.
    3. There's no such thing as a quick half hour break for bike maintenance.

Caught on which one to get..

10762903-1363251229-150851.jpg

10762741-1368201663-573368.jpg

Think they keep me under the Fred line! :pac:

Caught on which one to get..

10762903-1363251229-150851.jpg

10762741-1368201663-573368.jpg

Think they keep me under the Fred line! :pac:

New lime green Boards jersey would look much nicer ;)

stetyrrell wrote: »
    New lime green Boards jersey would look much nicer ;)

Havent been keeping up to date with that..they went for lime?? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I'm watching the Tour de Wallonie, and Katusha are at the front of the peloton.

Can someone explain to me what the differences are between:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-air-attack-helmet/

and this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-section-mtbbmx-helmet/

other than the paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

150 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'd go for Lotto one. Seems like the less popular option so it would be different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I'm watching the Tour de Wallonie, and Katusha are at the front of the peloton.

Can someone explain to me what the differences are between:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-air-attack-helmet/

and this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-section-mtbbmx-helmet/

other than the paint?

probably similar differences between

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-monza-road-helmet/

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-aeon-road-helmet-2012/

Didn't know what to do with myself tonight..

BZfANMI.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

BZfANMI.jpg?1

do you sell these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

manafana wrote: »
    do you sell these

Same question here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think he does now at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any Belfastites know the best place to rent a bike for a day or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

BZfANMI.jpg?1

Top marks for the picture, but marks deducted for the Livestrong pencils :pac:

manafana wrote: »
    do you sell these

Nope..I just sorta..draw them :pac:
    doozerie wrote: »
    Top marks for the picture, but marks deducted for the Livestrong pencils :pac:

I don't have any livestrong pencils :D My helmet on the other hand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Any Belfastites know the best place to rent a bike for a day or two?

Try McConvey cycles on the Ormeau road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sitting in work, only an hour away from finishing and I can hear this incredibly loud buzzing sound. I get up to investigate, something is not right.

I am correct, the water is back with a vengence, rain so hard it could crush a prime bull through the slats in a shed.

I no longer am as productive or as willing to work faster to get out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sitting in work, only an hour away from finishing and I can hear this incredibly loud buzzing sound. I get up to investigate, something is not right.

I am correct, the water is back with a vengence, rain so hard it could crush a prime bull through the slats in a shed.

I no longer am as productive or as willing to work faster to get out the door.

I was sitting in the pub.

"Should we head on?"
    "Yeah, give me a few minutes to finish this."

*looks outside*

"...reckon we'll stay for another."

Opted for a taxi home and left the bike in town. Got home to find I'd left the skylight open, which is unfortunately located over my bookshelf. :( Think it's only minor damage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

150 quid.

Only 68 quid difference at the mo (but only in small*).

*And while I wouldn't claim to be big-headed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

BZfANMI.jpg?1

Duncan from Blue?

Picked up a 14mm socket wrench this morning.

Most of my day will be dedicated to getting back to being just behind schedule on my dissertation but I have to get these 1990s cranks off for the sake of my sanity!

• Advertisement

el tel wrote: »
    Duncan from Blue?

Marcus Mumford from Mumford and Sons :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Sold my TT bike a few months ago due to lack of use, and picked up a set of cheap clip-on aero bars for the odd occasion that I do a TT now, to compliment my skin suit and pointy helmet....

Went about seeing if they'd fit my fancy-ish handlebars (FSA K-Force Compact Carbon) the other day. The instructions on the clip-ons say to tighten the handlebar clamp to 8-10Nm....bit tight I thought, so I opted for the same torque as the stem (5Nm) to start with to see if that was tight enough.....bars didn't slip, happy out!

Removed them shortly afterwards to find they had made a slight crease/indentation in the carbon on one side, frig! Can't really trust them anymore for racing on, bars replaced with a set of aluminium 3T bars (which are actually more comfortable, and match my 3T stem).

So, I have a 42cm FSA K-Force carbon handlebar, that is potentially fatally damaged that I don't know what to do with. If anybody wants to take it off my hands, it's all yours, but don't hold it against me if they snap in half mid-spin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Guardian's bike blog guide to riding with your kid. I particularly like the half-recumbent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm_gti wrote: »
    So, I have a 42cm FSA K-Force carbon handlebar, that is potentially fatally damaged that I don't know what to do with...

diy-wall-bike-hanger.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Marcus Mumford from Mumford and Sons :pac:

Just goes to show you can't have everything, great artist, awful taste in music.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement