Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Possibly the best thing I have seen on here. One to tell the great grandchildren about in 20 years time.

An inspiration.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was great being there to watch it unfold. Sean was so confident his arms went up well before the line. I was at an angle to to finish line but could see Jimmy with his head down and making inroads. Sean spotted him too late (definitely an "oh sh!t" moment for him) which is why you see his arms rapidly descending in the photo finish

I felt Jimmy had sneaked it and everyone who was at the finishing line burst out laughing, wondering which one of them had got it - less than a tyre's width they were saying, but maybe Jimmy

The camera took a picture every foot or so, hence getting one at the exact point they crossed the line was fortunate - I've never seen such a close finish - less than a cm between them I suspect.

Sean had a laugh along with everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

And an ex-Rás yellow jersey Bray Wheeler in the background!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Why don't they just make cycling shoes the same size as normal shoes? It's infuriating trying to guess sizes. I think my shoes are a half size too small for me, looks like another excuse to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Why don't they just make cycling shoes the same size as normal shoes? It's infuriating trying to guess sizes. I think my shoes are a half size too small for me, looks like another excuse to spend.
    You must have bought online?

My 3 cycling shoes are 45,45 and 46 yet I generally take 43 or 44 in normal shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Brilliant - left early so hadn't heard how the race ended.

Seán Lally is an inspiration.

Also met another chap (81) who was racing today. The guy who I was marshalling with admired his bike and he said that he got it 11 years ago for his 70th thinking he'd get a few years out of them, but that now he needs a new one!

You must have bought online?

My 3 cycling shoes are 45,45 and 46 yet I generally take 43 or 44 in normal shoes.

Bought them off the classifieds here, the problem is that they fit perfectly with the really cheap and thin insoles I was given with them, but once I try and put any sort of decent supported insoles in them it pushes my toes right up against the front of the toe box.

I'm a 46 normally in shoes so finding 47s is a pain because they're either out of stock or never on sale.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_mqhj5ye1v71qacyk6o1_r1_1280.jpg

Nowhere near as epic as the Vino4ever jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Sram red 2012 vs Di2 6770..what would y'all go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Zyzz wrote: »
    Sram red 2012 vs Di2 6770..what would y'all go for?

Campag EPS.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Campag EPS.

tumblr_mqjqmnixk21sppmago1_400.gif

Have you tried it? I had a go of a bike with it and it feels good.

Have you tried it? I had a go of a bike with it and it feels good.

Just looking at the best mech vs electronic system..electronic is so much cooler :o

Just looking at the best mech vs electronic system..electronic is so much cooler :o

This is just from a quick search for prices...

SRAM Red 22 - approx 1,650
    http://www.shinybikes.com/sram-red-22-groupset.html

Ultegra Di2 6770 - approx 1,470
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=45440

Campag Athena EPS - approx 2,400
    http://www.harrysbikes.ie/campagnolo-athena-eps.html

The Campag looks v pricey to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It is very pricey unfortunately.. even if you only buy the mechs, shifters, battery it's still as much as a full groupset.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Much and all as I like Campagnolo groupsets, I wouldn't buy EPS until the new internal battery is on the market. The original battery is far too clunky for the money you're paying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I bought Ultegra Di2 for less than the Campag price and got a bike thrown in as well

There are a few Di2 complete bike options around that price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Athena EPS on Bike24 1759, still not exactly cheap though.

Better start saving so :pac:

Also, got a new set of Aero bars..

577157_516476185090424_250959115_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

smacl wrote: »
    Athena EPS on Bike24 1759, still not exactly cheap though.

Just a quick note on buying EPS online. There is only 1 authorised EPS trained shop in Ireland, Humphries cycles - Finglas. There is a good chance that if you buy the gruppo online that you will end up in Humphries cycles and getting him to install. Any warranty issues and you may end up having to ship it back to where you bought. Its just not a simple plug and play type of set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

A topic that's been covered in bits and bobs in various threads. Ordering from China. Can anyone sum up for me as I don't know the ins and outs what are the customs/import issues?

A topic that's been covered in bits and bobs in various threads. Ordering from China. Can anyone sum up for me as I don't know the ins and outs what are the customs/import issues?

Its hit and miss whether or not you get caught for customs..you wont know until it comes through :cool:

Ok but lets assume I get stung for customs. What are we talking, is it a flat fee, a percentage based off the purchase price or in more Irish style is it a percentage of a value they pick out of their arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ok but lets assume I get stung for customs. What are we talking, is it a flat fee, a percentage based off the purchase price or in more Irish style is it a percentage of a value they pick out of their arse?

You'll be asked for proof of purchase showing the price you paid. You'll pay whatever duty is owed on that amount (4.7% for a bike frame), plus VAT on the total (at 23%) plus whatever 'service charge' they charge you!

So if you got a 600 euro frame (in around what one of the Chinese carbon ones cost) that cost 80 to ship, you could be stung for

31.96 in Duty (4.7% of 680)
    €163.75 VAT (23% of 611.96)
    ? service charge

So you could add a couple hundred quid to the cost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If it's being sent by normal post chances are you 're gonna get away with it. If it's with a courier then it's almost certain you 're going to get hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could get a rough estimate here. I'm sure there's an admin fee on top of that. If it's coming through a courier (DHL etc.) they'd probably add a fee too.

According to the Revenue site, "Bicycles made in China carry an additional (anti dumping) duty of 48.5%." :eek:

eSLmhlH.jpg

Looks like something you'd wear to a fetish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://i.imgur.com/eSLmhlH.jpg

I think that belongs in here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831044

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

And you'd know what people wear to fetish club's how exactly ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Verb: Peddle
    Sell or offer for sale from place to place
    "He had been told to peddle his papers elsewhere"

Verb: Pedal (pedalled, pedalling)
    Ride a bicycle

Junior wrote: »
    And you'd know what people wear to fetish club's how exactly ? :D

By going to a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By going to a few.
    Welp, with that image in my head, that's my libido neutralised for a few weeks anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sad to hear about Colm Murray, one of the most recognisable voices on TV. RIP.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

By going to a few.
    seamus wrote: »
    Welp, with that image in my head, that's my libido neutralised for a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

You can get stuck for a percentage based on the value put on the parcel. This value may be real or imaginary depending on the company you buy from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they may request a receipt for proof of price paid, afaik.

Crazy the difference your bodyweight makes on hill climbing..knocked 20 seconds off my previous time that I posted a month or two ago on a segment in the Phoenix park yesterday..on a dodgy rear tube and a heavy headwind :)

Td9l4mD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Crazy the difference your bodyweight makes on hill climbing..knocked 20 seconds off my previous time that I posted a month or two ago on a segment in the Phoenix park yesterday..on a dodgy rear tube and a heavy headwind :)

Td9l4mD.gif

theirs a hill climb in the park?

manafana wrote: »

You know what I mean :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

manafana wrote: »

is that the speed bump near the zoo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Retired a frame recently because the threads in the bottom bracket were stripped. Not a big problem because I had a spare frame of similar vintage and quality (ie old and a little dodgy). Was just about to start transferring parts when I noticed that the drive-side drop out appeared to be stretched a little compared to the non-drive side.

Have a pic here:
    https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f53297929e&view=att&th=140313dc43bcbda3&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hjrjcfan1&safe=1&zw&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P-p9Sfu81VHTdDkrp54OXBg&sadet=1375216528389&sads=zBfI71jHkG6GWGxP24fTJmzu6-E&sadssc=1

Do you think this is rideable or should I go frame shopping?

Went full 'fakenger' today dropping back all of the samples for the jersey order to Cycleways. Messenger bag stuffed to the hilt, my bike just happened to be fixed gear, and of course I had to make a delivery slip as proof that we returned the samples.

I felt ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Retired a frame recently because the threads in the bottom bracket were stripped. Not a big problem because I had a spare frame of similar vintage and quality (ie old and a little dodgy). Was just about to start transferring parts when I noticed that the drive-side drop out appeared to be stretched a little compared to the non-drive side.

Have a pic here:
    https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f53297929e&view=att&th=140313dc43bcbda3&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hjrjcfan1&safe=1&zw&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P-p9Sfu81VHTdDkrp54OXBg&sadet=1375216528389&sads=zBfI71jHkG6GWGxP24fTJmzu6-E&sadssc=1

Do you think this is rideable or should I go frame shopping?

The link doesn't work - you have probably posted a private email link ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Ok, now there should be a picture - is this fúcked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

One should always go frame shopping at the merest hint of a valid frame shopping excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bloody Guards harassing cyclists again.....

554882_560437344019304_1207778890_n.png

My god it's a while since I've seen a Varta battery. God a mad childhood flashback there for some reason.

Those are my fav kind of tomatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it me, or is the frame fatigued above the dropout. Looks like it's splitting in the part highlighted in the attached.

The frame is less than perfect, I'd replace it.

There's something very unsatisfying about putting a bike together from old parts that are visibly old and battered. It's like putting back on a dirty pair of socks; they work just the same, but just don't feel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Jawgap wrote: »
    The cop is right to be questioning him, he looks like he could be concealing a weapon...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement