Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jawgap wrote: »
    Bloody Guards harassing cyclists again.....

554882_560437344019304_1207778890_n.png

That's not a cyclist, that's a triathlete.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I thought that Pat Kenny going to Newstalk was a hoax but Joe Duffy just confirmed it.

Now who saw that coming!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Those fat cat RTE presenters with their inflated salaries making us all pay exorbitant TV licence fees. Sure they'd never be able to find work elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Those fat cat RTE presenters with their inflated salaries making us all pay exorbitant TV licence fees. Sure they'd never be able to find work elsewhere...

I presume the licence fee will fall by a few quid now?

Also, given Myles Dungan's performance this morning, no great loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Newstalk: Yeah, we got rid of the off-the-ball lads, but we hired Pat Kenny.

Employment policy FAIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Newstalk: Yeah, we got rid of the off-the-ball lads, but we hired Pat Kenny.

Employment policy FAIL.

I only heard about the Off the Ball thing recently, why were they let go? Does this also prove that RTE's argument that they need to pay loads to presenters or they'll be nicked?

Anyone know online retailers that stock Aragon 18? Trying to get a price on the electron pro track frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moving to Belfast in the near future, having a look around at the popular climbs there on Strava.

Always Ryan Sherlock, no matter where you go in Ireland or indeed Northern Ireland he always has the KOMs.

Which leads me to wonder, is the Boards.ie Strava club one of the best on all of Strava? Our membership and catchment area is surely one of the biggest. We don't really have any local rivals like most normal clubs would.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Anyone know online retailers that stock Aragon 18? Trying to get a price on the electron pro track frame

Slane Cycles carry them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Aragon

Did this guy start designing frames too?

WhyiDjg.png

:o

Always Ryan Sherlock, no matter where you go in Ireland or indeed Northern Ireland he always has the KOMs
    He's below 500 on one Dublin segment - he must have had Mel on the crossbar that day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Only half the story Vlad. One of the most exorbitantly paid employees of a state company has finally moved into the sector after several rounds of pay cuts have enabled a private company to be actually in a position where they could offer him a competitive package.

Seriously.

On a related issue I find it hard to take that we subsidise a source of media that is able to earn revenue by also selling advertisements.

If I was employed by a privately owned media company I would be lobbying hard to have the present arrangement sundered.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Only half the story Vlad. One of the most exorbitantly paid employees of a state company has finally moved into the sector after several rounds of pay cuts have enabled a private company to be actually in a position where they could offer him a competitive package
    Apologies for sounding pedantic but most of the big 'stars' of RTE are not employees of RTE. They are self employed and contracted to the station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Apologies for sounding pedantic but most of the big 'stars' of RTE are not employees of RTE. They are self employed and contracted to the station.

Something I believe the revenue are looking at. GPs working as locums used to work like that. Revenue took am interest and forced them to become employees for every day or half day they worked somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Actually quite excited at the thought of Pat Kenny at newstalk. As a current affairs presenter he is the best we have.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Something I believe the revenue are looking at. GPs working as locums used to work like that. Revenue took am interest and forced them to become employees for every day or half day they worked somewhere.
    You'd imagine then that agency nurses would be looked at also. Some hospitals have them practically working the same as employees - up on rosters etc. even though they are not employees of the hospital.
    As a current affairs presenter he is the best we have.
    Although I listen to him regularly, he has interviewing habits which irritate me and he seems to have an obsession with science based matters of which I have little interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Actually quite excited at the thought of Pat Kenny at newstalk. As a current affairs presenter he is the best we have.

Very much so. Lost a lot of credibility with Late Late and deservedly so. But from the old Today Tonight thru to Prime Time he kicks the pants of most current affairs presenters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If RTE leave Myles Dungan to continue where Pat left off then there will actually be a choice of two decent shows which is quite a novelty on the FM dial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

not huge pat fan but have agree for current affairs he is not afraid to probe, heard he did great interview with mcquaid.

Only half the story Vlad. One of the most exorbitantly paid employees of a state company has finally moved into the sector after several rounds of pay cuts have enabled a private company to be actually in a position where they could offer him a competitive package.

Seriously.

On a related issue I find it hard to take that we subsidise a source of media that is able to earn revenue by also selling advertisements.

If I was employed by a privately owned media company I would be lobbying hard to have the present arrangement sundered.

The licence subsidies more than just the TV and radio though, plenty of art projects etc and though I detest paying the fee the quality of programming across Lyric, 2Fm, RTE 1 Radio, RnaG, TG4, RTE 1 and 2 and the websites is superior to any of the other stations and though people may have problems with certain elements of the programming, it's a public service which has to cater to all and I don't think it falls short on that. I also agree about PK who repeatedly surprised me with what he was willing to ask.

In saying all that if they could just be rid of Joe Duffy or at least give him a late night slot like Adrian Kenny (?) I'd be a lot happier.

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    not huge pat fan but have agree for current affairs he is not afraid to probe, heard he did great interview with mcquaid.
    Myles Dungan interviewed PMcQ - not Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Myles Dungan interviewed PMcQ - not Pat.

sorry my bad, i only read the text of the interview and they didnt mention that, just the show name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Where's Tom Dunne gonna wind up given Pat Keeny will have his slot?

Where's Tom Dunne gonna wind up given Pat Keeny will have his slot?

Does anyone care?:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Philip Boucher-Hayes would actually be a decent choice too for PKs slot in RTE. He needs a show at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Hermy wrote: »
    Does anyone care?:D

I like him, so that's one anyway.
    Can't abide PK.

I like him, so that's one anyway.
    Can't abide PK.

Well I like Pat.
    And I think Tom Dunne is incredibly boring.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Well I like Pat.

You'd still be watching your back if he moved in next door :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bashar-alassad-introduces-syrian-bikesharing-progr,33320/
    DAMASCUS—Saying that the initiative will reduce vehicle traffic, improve local air quality, and foster a strong sense of community, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad announced Tuesday that city transportation authorities across the nation will soon launch SyriaCycles... Assad added that he hopes 2013 in Syria will be remembered as the Year of the Bicycle.

You'd still be watching your back if he moved in next door :)

I'd be living in a much bigger house if he did!:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Having seen countries with no public service broadcasting or poorly funded/overly politicised public sector broadcasting, I'd be a big believer in maintaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

A friend of a friend is visiting Dublin soon and wants to get a cycling-and-Dublin themed t-shirt, maybe one with the name of a bike shop or something like that.

I'm guessing that they'll be staying centrally so some place in the city centre would be the best bet. I can't really think of anywhere that would have that sort of thing - any suggestions?

Thanks.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Philip Boucher-Hayes would actually be a decent choice too for PKs slot in RTE. He needs a show at this stage.
    ...except that he has a voice almost as irritating as Keelin Shanley's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Base2Race in Ballymount do Argon. They mainly stock road and tri by the look of it, but it might be worth asking them for a quote.

http://base2race.ie/collections/all/argon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Having seen countries with no public service broadcasting or poorly funded/overly politicised public sector broadcasting, I'd be a big believer in maintaining it.
    RTE's problem is that they are in competition with the BBC - who benefit from a licence fee of approximately the same amount, but with a much bigger population paying it. and that allows them to spend bigger, and crucially, resell a lot of their content.

for a country the size of ireland, RTE - despite their shortcomings - do well.

Base2Race in Ballymount do Argon. They mainly stock road and tri by the look of it, but it might be worth asking them for a quote.

http://base2race.ie/collections/all/argon

Thanks, turns out the frame is super flexy so it's out as an option.

RTE's problem is that they are in competition with the BBC - who benefit from a licence fee of approximately the same amount, but with a much bigger population paying it. and that allows them to spend bigger, and crucially, resell a lot of their content.

for a country the size of ireland, RTE - despite their shortcomings - do well.
    .....but, uniquely, the BBC do not have benefit of advertising revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

A friend of a friend is visiting Dublin soon and wants to get a cycling-and-Dublin themed t-shirt, maybe one with the name of a bike shop or something like that.

I'm guessing that they'll be staying centrally so some place in the city centre would be the best bet. I can't really think of anywhere that would have that sort of thing - any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dan Martins Giant panda t-shirt !

Not really what you are looking for but it might be of interest and it is for a good cause too.

http://www.cycle4life.ie/news-and-events/latest-news/dan-martin-panda-t-shirt-available-online-now#.Ufo_mG3pzEw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Dan Martins Giant panda t-shirt !

Not really what you are looking for but it might be of interest and it is for a good cause too.

http://www.cycle4life.ie/news-and-events/latest-news/dan-martin-panda-t-shirt-available-online-now#.Ufo_mG3pzEw

They're selling them in Elvery sports too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Thanks.

I think I have a couple of left-over t-shirts from the Dublin City Cycle 2009 in the top of the wardrobe, but I'd have to check- I might have binned them in a recent house move. Any particular size?

Pale blue with white graphics, as seen here being expertly modelled by some local yob. They have the word 'Marshal' on the back. Close-up of front graphic here.

Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Thanks.

BikeHub in Howth sell gear with their logo on it. Mind you its lycra so maybe more expensive than a simple tee-shirt

BikeHub in Howth sell gear with their logo on it. Mind you its lycra so maybe more expensive than a simple tee-shirt
    CycleBike (Mary's Abbey) and Cycleways (Parnell St) also sell jerseys with their logo - but as above, don't think it's on t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ted, there's been a Tornado spotted in Galway ! Is this the end of days ?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/362933446835847169/photo/1

Used a new app on my indoor trainer today, Indoor Cycling Coach Lite. Have to say I really enjoyed using it, made the whole thing a lot less boring. The visual aid to get you at the right cadence was extremely useful. Also it's free, which is sweet.

The only downside is that the warm down part at the end is ridiculously long, I could've easily stopped 2/3 minutes earlier with no disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Just downloaded whitney houston's greatest hits..cough legally cough..

What a waste of such a ridiculously amazing voice.

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    Just downloaded whitney houston's greatest hits..cough legally cough..

What a waste of such a ridiculously amazing voice.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug :(

This morning I did something I have never done before: Dispensed street justice on a RLJ-ing tool. Black/Blue/White cube on the Rock road northbound, football shorts, broke several lights at speed through large junctions.

He deserved it!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This morning I did something I have never done before: Dispensed street justice on a RLJ-ing tool. Black/Blue/White cube on the Rock road northbound, football shorts, broke several lights at speed through large junctions.

He deserved it!

Goes nicely with the avatar. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I was in the Blur gig last night, the band performed beautifully, but the sound was horrible. One more venue to add in the list of "sh!tty sounding places".

Goes nicely with the avatar. :)

Not to mention my cape and assortment of sprays:

3+-+Shark+Repellent+Bat-Spray.jpg

I just need to get my hands on some RLJ-repellant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement