Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did you try On Track on Cook Street?

Yeah that's where I started off, Graham wasn't in it was some lad filling in for him so he didn't really know. They'd a chainwhip lockring all in one but it was €30 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I love packing.

Heading across Anatolia and into the Caucuses in three weeks time and I reckon I'll have packed and unpacked and repacked my bike about fifty times between then and now.
    Currently considering the practicalities of leaving my ortliebs behind and just bringing some stuff sacks and paracord meshing for ultimate lightweight and flexibility.

Eurocycles fitted a chainring, cog, lockring and the new chain for a tenner. Was nearly taken aback when he said it, was expecting at least 20 or higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Have basted it with the WD40, going to let it soak a little and try again tomorrow. I don't have handy access to a bench vice at the moment so going to bring out my old friend Mr Lump Hammer to do some gentle persuading.

Use a light hammer rather than a heavy one. Can't remember the exact why of it but it's something about the light hammer setting up higher frequency vibrations that are more likely to free the taper.

Also, I would use the crank puller, wind it in as tight as possible, then hit the head of the puller bolt with the hammer. That adds a much higher impulse force to the mix than just winding in the bolt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Have the randomest want to try out a TT bike..looks cool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

anyone know a good site for bmx parts? tyres, grips, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Found a rather unusual 'this is not a bicycle' situation when I went to get my beater after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Use a light hammer rather than a heavy one. Can't remember the exact why of it but it's something about the light hammer setting up higher frequency vibrations that are more likely to free the taper.

Also, I would use the crank puller, wind it in as tight as possible, then hit the head of the puller bolt with the hammer. That adds a much higher impulse force to the mix than just winding in the bolt...

Thanks for that, the WD40 and my immense strength with the crank puller got it in the end;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

came across one or two components from this bike:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210861
    in my dad's shed today - front and rear mech (suntour XCD, iirc), and shifters, plus an old seat post from a muddy fox courier comp; would they be of any use to anyone? was going to see if rothar were interested if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

lennymc wrote: »
    anyone know a good site for bmx parts? tyres, grips, etc.

Maybe velosolo or tokyo fixed gear? For grips anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Chris Froome Looking at Stems..

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I ate a couple of slices of bread yesterday which tasted a little past their best. I'd looked over the slices carefully before eating them, for signs of, er, aging (there is no mould, there is no mould!) but had found nothing. I optimistically decided to describe them to myself as tasting "a bit dry" on the basis that food that is "a bit dry" isn't particularly vomit inducing.

This morning I plucked another couple of slices from the same sliced pan. The space of time between glancing casually at them and flinging the mould ridden buggers out the door was short, very very short. My mouth has been reminding me ever since of yesterday's culinary experience. It seems that something that tastes "a bit dry" is not unlike something that tastes "very feckin' mouldy". It also seems that nothing is capable of removing a mouldy taste from your mouth, even 24 hours later. Curse you bacteria!

Today's slices of bread will be fine. I'm sure of it. (There is no mould, there is no mould!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just think of it as a dose of penicillin. That's the problem with some of the brown breads you can get, you're not sure if what you're looking at is mould or the various nuts or whatever in it.

ThisRegard wrote:
    Just think of it as a dose of penicillin.

Typical, the stuff that is good for you tastes like crap. The vile tyranny of tastebuds continues unchecked. :(

doozerie wrote: »
    Typical, the stuff that is good for you tastes like crap. The vile tyranny of tastebuds continues unchecked. :(

A friends father once described the Mold on a piece of bread as "the best bit" before fishing the bread from the bin where I had deposited it, buttering it and eating it with great gusto.

Frankly it was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just started a gluten free diet. Started off thinking it was going to be rubbish and thinking of all the food an drink I'd have to give up. I've never eaten so well in my life. Scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. Tuna salad for lunch instead of sandwiches. It's great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Junior wrote: »
    Chris Froome Looking at Stems..

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

I think he would be faster is he didn't look at stems all the time.

• Advertisement

A friends father once described the Mold on a piece of bread as "the best bit" before fishing the bread from the bin where I had deposited it, buttering it and eating it with great gusto.

Frankly it was disgusting.

I think it's a father thing. My father used to eat some awful muck and probably still does. (Ma)lingering memories include: cold cabbage congealing between two slices of buttered bread, a slice (literally) of cold porridge on bread, cold tapioca on bread... I could go on but I may just have to throw up if I dredge up any more such memories that I've buried away in the dark recesses of my mind over the years.

Based on yesterday's incident it seems I may be unwittingly heading down the same fatherly route myself.

(My father used to pride himself on his robust constitution, his description of seemingly being able to shovel any auld shyte into himself and survive, but the gloss was taken off that claim one day when he opened a cupboard to reveal a lifetime's supply of Gaviscon hiding in there - you could probably ingest pure acid and survive if you pumped enough of that stuff into your system immediately afterwards).

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think he would be faster is he didn't look at stems all the time.

Maybe he is so fast because he is forever chasing his stem, unable to quite catch up with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I think it's a father thing.

I remember my dad giving me bread and dripping and telling me it was just like pate. It wasn't and I still can't believe he gets so excited when the butcher has it in.

I remember my dad giving me bread and dripping and telling me it was just like pate. It wasn't and I still can't believe he gets so excited when the butcher has it in.

In primary school a mate used to wipe the pan clean with a slice of white bread and wolf it down. Now this was in the days before we all got healthy and used olive oil to fry with, it would be full of semi-solid frytex or other similar animal fat based grease, and black bits of everything that was cooked in the pan the previous days. Jaysus, even thinking about it I'm gagging.

To this day I blame him for me insisting my frys are grills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In primary school a mate used to wipe the pan clean with a slice of white bread and wolf it down. Now this was in the days before we all got healthy and used olive oil to fry with, it would be full of semi-solid frytex or other similar animal fat based grease, and black bits of everything that was cooked in the pan the previous days. Jaysus, even thinking about it I'm gagging.

I do this but don't bother with the bread. Wouldn't touch Frytex. Lard or coconut oil only.

Rear hub's bearings decided to pack it in on the Quays, currently stranded in town waiting for Rothar to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lived with a guy in college who would reuse the same fat in the frying pan over and over and over, just leave it sitting there to congeal an reheat. I never really ate meat so presumed this was the done thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Rear hub's bearings decided to pack it in on the Quays, currently stranded in town waiting for Rothar to replace them.

LOL, oh dear! The sacrifices you're making for the boards jersey order won't be forgotten ;)

A missed opportunity there, if you'd used courdelion's dad's dripping to pack your bearings you could have settled down to a "tasty" snack of (recycled - ha!) lard on a slice of bread right now as you waited for your bike hub to be de-larded. That's how my father's generation would have rolled, quite literally.

…ah heyor, I've reminded myself now of that disgusting dry/lard feeling you'd get on the roof of your mouth after eating stuff that was fried in dripping. Barf! I'm definitely one of the high cholesterol generation - I reckon my parents thought "high" cholesterol was an aim rather than a medical condition, a case of overachieving gone horribly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I almost offered to pop over to keep you company...but then I realised my dissertation procrastination problem is getting out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I reckon my parents thought "high" cholesterol was an aim rather than a medical condition, a case of overachieving gone horribly wrong.
    Your parents were right, you live longer if you have a higher cholesterol. Especially if you are a woman.

• Advertisement

I almost offered to pop over to keep you company...but then I realised my dissertation procrastination problem is getting out of hand.

I know the feeling, I still have 4 half-filled job application forms on my desk at home.

Results day tomorrow, I have a feeling that this repair is the universe trying to tell me something in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Andy ".....fish n chips thare luv"

996579_10200434235394659_1113520186_n.jpg

Really didn't appreciate Rothar telling my my wheel would be sorted by 5 o'clock as I had a shift at 6, yet when I arrived at 5 I was told he was still working on it. Fast forward to half 5 and the mechanic appears to tell me he had only started working on it and it'd be tomorrow evening before I could collect it.

2 and a half hours wasted waiting, 12.50 in a taxi home as you can't take a bike on Dublin Bus, and a wheel that's still busted.

I am not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Really didn't appreciate Rothar telling my my wheel would be sorted by 5 o'clock as I had a shift at 6, yet when I arrived at 5 I was told he was still working on it. Fast forward to half 5 and the mechanic appears to tell me he had only started working on it and it'd be tomorrow evening before I could collect it.

2 and a half hours wasted waiting, 12.50 in a taxi home as you can't take a bike on Dublin Bus, and a wheel that's still busted.

I am not happy.
    Did they not offer a lend of a wheel? A few times I've had wheel problems, I've been offered a wheel by the shop I usually deal with.

Did they not offer a lend of a wheel? A few times I've had wheel problems, I've been offered a wheel by the shop I usually deal with.

Nope, just told me to drop the bike back in if I get a chance tomorrow

Nope, just told me to drop the bike back in if I get a chance tomorrow

Which branch of Rothar was it?

Which branch of Rothar was it?

Fade Street. Figured I'd give them a try because On Track were swamped with repairs.

Fade Street. Figured I'd give them a try because On Track were swamped with repairs.

Was wondering becuase I had a very disappointing experience in the one in Phibsboro but fade street have always been helpful and friendly with ideas and advice although they have never actually done any work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nice to see the british feting christine ohurugu (what a one year ban for missing three drugs test no no she's one of britains greatest)

a cloud over that one for sure imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nice to see the british feting christine ohurugu (what a one year ban for missing three drugs test no no she's one of britains greatest)

It's only Johnny Foreigner who dopes, thats obvious. Whats a few missed tests anyway, we all know there's not benefit to sprinting or endurance racing from using banned drugs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's only Johnny Foreigner who dopes, thats obvious. Whats a few missed tests anyway, we all know there's not benefit to sprinting or endurance racing from using banned drugs..

It's not like it's being totally glossed over. Three independent commissions concluded that she was just forgetful and it wasn't due to her trying to conceal drug use. She was banned for a year for it so didn't get away scot free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's not like it's being totally glossed over. Three independent commissions concluded that she was just forgetful and it wasn't due to her trying to conceal drug use. She was banned for a year for it so didn't get away scot free.

Just forgetful, shure thats fine then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Back from a lovely two weeks in Spain, floating in a lagoon, having the odd Vino Tinto and doing a few sessions on the bike.

Got overtaken by Valverde on one spin. Jumped onto his group for a glorious 30 seconds. That was the highlight.

The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch. Winter bike fund has taken a big hit. They better put my name on the Team Jersey as a sponsor now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just forgetful, shure thats fine then...
    Never realised that she had actually had a lifetime ban from the Olympics imposed by the BOC and had to get it overturned via the CAS (as did Dwain Chambers), so at least at the BOC level they didn't gloss over it

370 points in my leaving cert, fairly certain I'll have to build another bike for commuting to college now ;)

370 points in my leaving cert, fairly certain I'll have to build another bike for commuting to college now ;)

Fair play!:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Congratulations, Stephen :)

daragh_ wrote: »
    The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch.

How did they spot it, did you point it out or was it an after the fact thing were they billed you after you dropped it off ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daragh_ wrote: »
    The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch. Winter bike fund has taken a big hit. They better put my name on the Team Jersey as a sponsor now.
    Always get them to check the cars over on return whenever I can. Still got stung for £1,200 last year (over 2 cars hired by me and the wife at the same time) by Avis. I reckoned they were getting us to pay for pre-existing damage (I am absolutely certain there was no damage to my car while I had it - I drove it to our property, left it on the drive for a coupls of days and then drove back)

I asked them to provide proof of damage - they said they had photos - after another 6 months they had failed to provide any evidence and refunded in full

Had another incident with Hertz where I spotted a nail in the tyre. They would never have seen it whan I checked back in but I told them about it to avoid the risk of someone having a blowout (and it was almost certainly there when I picked the car up) - they still charged me 200 quid for a new tyre - I reckon it cost them no more than a tenner to fix

I suspect they make a lot more money ripping customers off with their insurance (Typically €15 or so a day - an annualised premium of over 5 grand) or charging customers for "damage" that they do from hiring teh cars. The car hire industry across Europe really shoudl be subject toi some kind of investigation

Anyway, someone told me about www.carhireexcess.ie where you can get annual pan-European cover for €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How did they spot it, did you point it out or was it an after the fact thing were they billed you after you dropped it off ?

They pointed it out to me when I dropped the car back. I had pics of the car from when I picked it up and the scratch seemed new, so I couldn't dispute it. Also was in a rush to get the kids through check-in so didn't have time to argue.

Hadn't seen it it that morning and had been super extra careful the whole time.
    The annoying bit is being at the mercy of their system and not being able to get my own quote for a repair. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement