Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Damnit, found a bike I really wanted, then it went on sale, reduced by 35%, decided to bite the bullet on it this morning. Now it is SOLD OUT. Damn you procrastination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Brother got his bike stolen..scum :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Had a funny encounter this morning on the way to work. Some karma at work I guess.

Was cycling along and kept over taking this guy. I would get to the next set of
    lights and he would red light jump, I would over take him etc. etc. This happened all the way from the Windy Arbour Luas stop to Baggott street bridge. It was bugging the bejaysus out of me but he would pay no attention to me were I to have said anything, so I just ignored it.

At the junction of Baggott street bridge I thought I had lost him. I was just about to take off (when the lights turned green) when my friend cycled off the path to my left and swerved into my line. I ran into his back wheel. I snapped and said something along the lines of " so it's bad enough that I have to see u jumping every red light, now you cycle off the path and cause me to almost come off my bike". Petty I know.

I got what I deserved, a curt "F*** off and mind your own business".

I was speechless as he cycled off and broke the lights (again) on the other side of the bridge. Then to my delight I see a Garda cyclist pursuing him up Baggott street and stopping him.

As I cycled past I laughed loud and heartily......... The whole street probably thought I was a bit nuts.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

^ Way too many of those around, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Slightly paranoid... Everyone else got an email from TinyExplosions with bank account details for the CO2 Group Buy, yeah? The lack of mention here has me a little concerned for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Slightly paranoid... Everyone else got an email from TinyExplosions with bank account details for the CO2 Group Buy, yeah? The lack of mention here has me a little concerned for some reason.

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Peter Sagan's SRM data from USA Pro Challenge (Stage 1)
    512W in the last 250m, peak at 1200W
    /should we hook him up to the national grid ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have noticed that those (general joes) who most stoically defended Armstrong for the last number of years seem to be those who are most ardently accusing SKY of doping... swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have noticed that those (general joes) who most stoically defended Armstrong for the last number of years seem to be those who are most ardently accusing SKY of doping... swings and roundabouts
    What's your point?

Lumen wrote: »
    What's your point?

I don't have one, could be multiple reasons for it, simply an observation.

We could argue about it for fun if you like though, I've no work on this morning so a bit bored. You pick a reason and I'll pick the opposing and we can relive wasted teen years of Debate Club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Peter Sagan's SRM data from USA Pro Challenge (Stage 1)
    512W in the last 250m, peak at 1200W
    /should we hook him up to the national grid ?!

power meter - 500 euro
    broadband connection - 50 euro
    realising you put out more power than peter sagan in a sprint* - priceless

*ok, hes done it after a tough race and 98 km with 1250 metres climbing or something, but still....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

lennymc wrote: »
    power meter - 500 euro
    broadband connection - 50 euro

*ok, hes done it after a tough race and 200 km with a shed load of climbing or something, but still....

It was 98km, and regardless of terrain his average power was 247w. His average power for the last 10km (~15-20 minutes?) was 355w, and his peak was 1200w....either someone didn't do the maths properly, or he's just using his power a lot more wisely than the rest of us! :o

colm_gti wrote: »
    It was 98km, and regardless of terrain his average power was 247w. His average power for the last 10km (~15-20 minutes?) was 355w, and his peak was 1200w....either someone didn't do the maths properly, or he's just using his power a lot more wisely than the rest of us! :o

hes just sandbagging...

I did read that the average power output for a tour rider is about 230 or something similar to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Could that not have had something to do with the altitude? They were starting at something like 2400m and then climbed some more. I did see a guy with cotton wool in his nose to stop a nose bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I lost it @ 27 seconds when the girl is caught suppressing a scream of blinding pain

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hes just sandbagging...

I did read that the average power output for a tour rider is about 230 or something similar to that.
    That's my understanding - it's the length of time they do it for day after day that takes the toll

Having said that I do recall the Eurosport commentry team mentioning a couple of years ago that one guy had managed to sit in the peloton on a flat stage of the TdF and averaged under 100w for the whole stage

Beasty wrote: »
    Having said that I do recall the Eurosport commentry team mentioning a couple of years ago that one guy had managed to sit in the peloton on a flat stage of the TdF and averaged under 100w for the whole stage

hes my hero, whoever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

hes my hero, whoever he is.

Me too, the Anti-Jens.

• Advertisement

Me too, the Anti-Jens.

"I agree with you legs" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

pics or gt..........no wait.........do 2 * laps of the SeanKelly160km this weekend ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »

Some people have nothing better to do lol but have you seen the picture of the guy that was wearing flip flops on his bike and crashed..?

Which boardsie was this?!!? :D

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=480_1377104474

Maybe a stupid question.

Can an MTB stem be used on a road bike?

They do seem to look the same and my bars need a 25.4mm clamp and with the MTB stems there is more choice (the road branded ones with that clamp just look ugly). Just want to try a 110mm stem, the current 100mm seems a bit short, when climbing out of saddle the knees strike the bars sometimes.

Was looking at this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fsa-xc-150-lx-stem/rp-prod59606

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No problemo. MTB ones may be beefier, but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

doozerie wrote: »
    @rollingscone, Cruagh Rd is a tricky descent at the best of times,. Some of the bends are quite tight, the camber is all over the place, visibility (of oncoming traffic) is rubbish, and the surface is poor in places too. It's a road where momentum can throw you all over the place as a result, while using the brakes on some of those bends in particular is prone to making the bike slide, so it can be tough to find the right balance at times of braking versus not.

Worn tyres are certainly one risk, but consider your brake pads too as pads that give progressive braking will feel a lot more reassuring on a descent like that than pads which are a bit grabby. If descending is an issue for you generally then it's also worth considering a bike fit - if a bike fits you right it feels a lot more comfortable on descents.

And Doozerie the bike Shaman called it. On my spin out to Bray this evening my brakes started to squeal like a back bencher at budget time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Can an MTB stem be used on a road bike?

They do seem to look the same and my bars need a 25.4mm clamp and with the MTB stems there is more choice (the road branded ones with that clamp just look ugly).

Are you sure your road bars are really 25.4mm? I'm only aware of 26mm used on mostly older road bars and 25.4mm used on some older MTB bars. 0.6mm is obviously not much difference and it's tempting to think that you could use the differing parts interchangeably but I wouldn't try it myself given the pressure that gets applied to that particular interface.

I had to buy a 26mm road stem myself a few months back and they were tricky enough to find. I bought a Planet-X one in the end because they were available in the size I wanted and relatively cheap. The Planet-X stem was the wrong diameter at the steering column end (it was 1 1/8" and I needed a 1") but I bought a shim for that and it has been fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I did not know Richie Sadlier has a history in BMX

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

@doozerie, I'm quite sure the bars are 25.4mm, it was written on the bars somewhere. There used to be Ritchey stems on CRC with that clamp but now only one 100mm remains there and I have that one already.

• Advertisement

@doozerie, I'm quite sure the bars are 25.4mm, it was written on the bars somewhere. There used to be Ritchey stems on CRC with that clamp but now only one 100mm remains there and I have that one already.

Sure enough, 25.4mm road bars are common enough apparently, and in fact there are other variations which I didn't know existed too:
    The ISO standard for the stem clamping area of a handlebar is 25.4 mm (1"), which is used on mountain bikes and many Japanese-made road handlebars. However, the Italian unofficial standard is 26.0 mm, which is the most common clamp size for road bars. There are also intermediate sizes such as 25.8 mm to try to achieve compatibility with either an ISO or Italian stem, and the old Cinelli-specific size of 26.4 mm.

The cycling industry and "standards" are not the best of friends, yet again. The same page suggests that interchanging parts is fine, and I've since seen the same thing suggested by other sources, though I'd still be reluctant to do it myself (I've had road bars rotate in the stem while riding once before, and while I didn't crash it certainly made me determined never to risk the same thing happening again i.e. it made me a little paranoid):
    In practice, many modern stems with removable faceplates are quite accommodating of slight differences in handlebar clamp size, but the older type of stem with a single pinch bolt must be accurately matched.

I just did a quick search and found the following: one from ebay, one from Germany which may be the wrong angle and is kinda ugly too, and some from the US.

One that I considered for my MTB last year was a Syntace Force 99, or a Syntace Force 139 - both have a good reputation I believe, but they are not cheap stems with the online price ranging from about 60euro to over 100euro from what I can remember. They are also 4-bolt, which some manufacturers (e.g. Easton) used to advise against using with their carbon bars (the fear is that you'll tighten the bolts too much and crack the bars), and I have a vague memory of seeing a recommendation from Oval that you not use 4-bolt stems with their alloy bars too (I think Oval use thinner walls on their 26mm bars to reduce weight) - something to check for for your own handlebars maybe, although I'm sure that many people use 4-bolt stems with carbon bars without problems.

@ hmmziss - i think i may have a few mtb stems of varying lengths at home - i can bring them in some day next week and you can try them out to see what size suits you if you want?

@ hmmziss - i think i may have a few mtb stems of varying lengths at home - i can bring them in some day next week and you can try them out to see what size suits you if you want?

Wow, that's great stuff, thanks Lenny. If you have one that's 110mm with a 25.4mm clamp I'd very much like to try it out. Btw. I'll will bring the bottom bracket along, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Blood Bros Vol III

http://nialler9.com/blood-bros-volume-3-80s-action-hero-soundtrack/

Some serious work is gonna get done today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Just back from the Maiden Voyage of my new Road bike. 16 KM, not bad for someone with 0 fitness :P

Would Strava be the best app to record cycles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

marko93 wrote: »
    Just back from the Maiden Voyage of my new Road bike. 16 KM, not bad for someone with 0 fitness :P

Would Strava be the best app to record cycles?

Yes, strava is pretty much best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Yes, strava is pretty much best.

Thanks! I'll set it up so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

1 and 3 aren't applicable, for number one you should pass on the right, don't undertake on the left. And number 3, it's perfectly fine to cycle two abreast on Irish roads, it's not illegal like it is in some states in America.

AstraMonti wrote: »

Viewing that site was the first time I've ever seen a 36er, but it turns out they've been around for a while. Long enough to have bred, apparently :) :

268500.jpg

• Advertisement

Popped my 'Crashing in a race' cherry tonight. Was a lovely route for the last race of the season, shame I only managed to enjoy 4.5k of it.
    Got dropped on the neutralized descent down Devils Elbow, started catching up on the climb out but didn't make it and tried to chase on the descent (towards Glencree). Was slowing down for a corner and the bike started wobbling violently, tried to take the corner anyway but it skidded under me and splat I went.

Lesson learnt, don't chase on a descent where you don't know the corners. I probably applied the brakes too sharply and that sent the bike wobbling all over the place. Could have had a perfectly pleasant spin but no, had to chase (muppet). :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

A race that goes down devils elbow?! Holey moley...

A race that goes down devils elbow?! Holey moley...

The descent was neutralized, the start was given at the bottom of it.

Anyone know where's the safest place to park a bike in the IFSC? I'll be using two Kryptonite u-locks, a mini evo and a series 2 standard, so I'm not too worried about lads trying to pull them off the racks, it's more the grinders and croppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Anyone know where's the safest place to park a bike in the IFSC? I'll be using two Kryptonite u-locks, a mini evo and a series 2 standard, so I'm not too worried about lads trying to pull them off the racks, it's more the grinders and croppers.

Theres a rack to the left of the main entrance to the National College of Ireland. Its fine during the day anyway.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Theres a rack to the left of the main entrance to the National College of Ireland. Its fine during the day anyway.

Perfect, should do the job.

Popped my 'Crashing in a race' cherry tonight. Was a lovely route for the last race of the season, shame I only managed to enjoy 4.5k of it.
    Got dropped on the neutralized descent down Devils Elbow, started catching up on the climb out but didn't make it and tried to chase on the descent (towards Glencree). Was slowing down for a corner and the bike started wobbling violently, tried to take the corner anyway but it skidded under me and splat I went.

Lesson learnt, don't chase on a descent where you don't know the corners. I probably applied the brakes too sharply and that sent the bike wobbling all over the place. Could have had a perfectly pleasant spin but no, had to chase (muppet). :mad:

What race was this? Forgive me as the place names aren't too well know to me, but were you descending from Johnny Fox's or climbing towards it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Presumably, if he descended the Devils Elbow he could only have been coming from the Glencullen-Kiltiernan Road (Johnny Foxes) or straight through the crossroads from the Ballyedmonduff side.

Presumably, if he descended the Devils Elbow he could only have been coming from the Glencullen-Kiltiernan Road (Johnny Foxes) or straight through the crossroads from the Ballyedmonduff side.

Obviously, yep, sorry, I tend to think of the descent from Fox's and the climb out as all being Devil's. d'oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it was the Orwell league, neutralized all the way to Glencullen, down the Devil's elbow, and then let loose at the bottom, climbing back towards Glencree and then looped back around through viewpoint and tibradden to Johnny Foxes.

I didn't realise it would be handicapped, I might have given it a shot...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement