Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I hope we all have a healthy & happy 2012. Hopefully the Mayans will not be correct about 2012, but if they are then perhaps we might live our lives as if it is our last year as a species.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all and hope we all have many more years of cycling to look forward to ....

406762_10150458770133317_560318316_8703783_1795468731_n.jpg
    Jeez - that means another 39 New Year Objectives of "I must not let Rob beat me in a TT"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just spent an hour on the turbo, and came in to catch the last minute of injury time in the City match

Happy New Year everybody:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of medical matters (well, Dr. McGrane's potential lifespan), The Life Scientific on BBC Radio 4 has been a first-class programme about Science and Medicine. It's Jim Al-Khalili interviewing scientists who are eminent in scientific life in Britain.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015sqc7

In relation to this forum:
    Tim Hunt is interviewed in one episode. He discovered a protein he called cyclin that regulates cell division and for that he won the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2001. He tells Jim Al-Khalili that he came up with the name for the protein by taking the name of his then great passion, and knocking off one letter.

• Advertisement

enhanced-buzz-11522-1316461176-18.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

15 minutes into my first spin of the year and my rear mech snapped off.

Pants.

Hrm, looking very windy tomorrow.
    UPDATE _ Monday 2 January 2012 _ 8:30 p.m.

No changes to ALERTS (see previous post) ... storm is developing as expected and very sharp pressure falls at M6 buoy together with backing winds indicate potential power of this storm ... will post updates on details as they develop ... expect winds to increase rapidly 2300-0100h and peak on west coast around 0300-0500h while peaks on south coast may come in the rapid increase phase as energy races forward, but for east coast would expect two peaks, one around 0400h (SSW) and one around 0800h to mid-day as strong westerlies arrive.

All other forecasts can be found in the previous post. I hope the damage is limited and that you come through unscathed. However, I do feel there is potential for moderate if not severe damage in some exposed areas. In this calm before the storm, take a minute to assess location of vehicles or other valuable property with relation to any trees or nearby structures that could impact on said vehicles or property. There might be a safer parking spot nearby. Strongest wind gusts will probably be almost due westerly but consider the range SW to WNW. (Objects will fall or fly to NE through ESE).

Might add my name to the wimp list tomorrow morning, will decide then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Wind is howling around the house her in the North County. Gym tomorrow me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually a grand morning to cycle in. Wind died down a lot this morning. Fecker wouldn't let me sleep till about 2am though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Started a cycle from north dublin to kilmainham to go ice skating, wind wasn't too bad to start, 10 minutes in the wind picked up a lot and strong gusts with rain then turning into hail. Wasn't even wearing the waterproofs which was a bad call, turned back around and wimped out. No ice-skating for me tonight:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Damn, not looking forward to going from Swords to Chapelizod. Though, I have a boiled ham in the fridge that should be motivation enough. Coupla spuds and I'll be set. Some left over christmas pud too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Damn, I completely forgot about the Frank O'Farrell thing, hope they put it up swiftly on the player. If anyone hasn't seen the United thingy on in half an hour, it's well worth a goo.

Anywhere where this can be viewed? Not on RTE Player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Of all the races Liverpool obviously treat equally and respecfully, they still discriminate against the title race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Paddy is the proprietor of a bar in Dublin. He realises that virtually all of his customers are unemployed alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronise his bar.

To solve this problem, he comes up with a new marketing plan that allows his customers to drink now, but pay later. Paddy keeps track of the drinks consumed in a ledger (thereby granting the customers loans).

Word gets around about Paddy's "drink now, pay later" marketing strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into Paddy's bar. Soon he has the largest sales volume for any bar in Dublin.

By providing his customers freedom from immediate payment demands, Paddy gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, he substantially increases his prices for whiskey and beer, the most consumed beverages. Consequently, Paddy's gross sales volume increases massively.

A young and dynamic twat at a big German bank recognises that these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and offers Paddy a massive loan. He sees no reason for any undue concern because he has the debts of the unemployed alcoholics as collateral!
    At the bank's headquarters, expert traders figure a way to make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINKBONDS. These "securities" then are bundled and traded on the international securities market.

Naive investors don't really understand that the securities being sold to them as German "AAA Secured Bonds" really are debts of unemployed Irish alcoholics. Nevertheless, the bond prices continuously climb and the securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the Europe's leading brokerage houses.

One day, even though the bond prices still are climbing, a risk manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Paddy's bar. He so informs Paddy.

Paddy then demands payment from his alcoholic patrons. But, being unemployed alcoholics, they cannot pay back their drinking debts.

Since Paddy cannot fulfil his loan obligations he is forced into bankruptcy. The bar closes and Paddy's 11 employees lose their jobs.

Overnight, DRINKBOND prices drop by 90%.

The collapsed bond asset value destroys the bank's liquidity and prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic activity in the EU.

The suppliers of Paddy's bar had granted his generous payment extensions and had invested their firms' pension funds in the BOND securities. They find they are now faced with having to write off his bad debt, losing over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds.
    His whiskey supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a family business that had endured for three generations. His beer supplier is taken over by Diagio, who immediately close the local plant and lays off 150 workers.

Fortunately though, the German bank, the brokerage houses and their respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multibillion dollar no-strings attached cash infusion from the Irish government.

The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied on employed, middle-class, non-drinkers who have never been in Paddy's bar.

Now, do you understand......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

So where does NAMA fit into this :confused: assuming that they now own the bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

For all things NAMA:

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/

One economist's view, ten more years of pain:

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/ten-more-years-of-irish-austerity-warns-economist-0019073-1

and Man Utd got trashed tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

RobFowl wrote: »
    Paddy is the proprietor of a bar in Dublin. He realises that virtually all of his customers are unemployed alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronise his bar.

To solve this problem, he comes up with a new marketing plan that allows his customers to drink now, but pay later. Paddy keeps track of the drinks consumed in a ledger (thereby granting the customers loans).

Word gets around about Paddy's "drink now, pay later" marketing strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into Paddy's bar. Soon he has the largest sales volume for any bar in Dublin.

By providing his customers freedom from immediate payment demands, Paddy gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, he substantially increases his prices for whiskey and beer, the most consumed beverages. Consequently, Paddy's gross sales volume increases massively.

A young and dynamic twat at a big German bank recognises that these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and offers Paddy a massive loan. He sees no reason for any undue concern because he has the debts of the unemployed alcoholics as collateral!
    At the bank's headquarters, expert traders figure a way to make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINKBONDS. These "securities" then are bundled and traded on the international securities market.

Naive investors don't really understand that the securities being sold to them as German "AAA Secured Bonds" really are debts of unemployed Irish alcoholics. Nevertheless, the bond prices continuously climb and the securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the Europe's leading brokerage houses.

One day, even though the bond prices still are climbing, a risk manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Paddy's bar. He so informs Paddy.

Paddy then demands payment from his alcoholic patrons. But, being unemployed alcoholics, they cannot pay back their drinking debts.

Since Paddy cannot fulfil his loan obligations he is forced into bankruptcy. The bar closes and Paddy's 11 employees lose their jobs.

Overnight, DRINKBOND prices drop by 90%.

The collapsed bond asset value destroys the bank's liquidity and prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic activity in the EU.

The suppliers of Paddy's bar had granted his generous payment extensions and had invested their firms' pension funds in the BOND securities. They find they are now faced with having to write off his bad debt, losing over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds.
    His whiskey supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a family business that had endured for three generations. His beer supplier is taken over by Diagio, who immediately close the local plant and lays off 150 workers.

Fortunately though, the German bank, the brokerage houses and their respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multibillion dollar no-strings attached cash infusion from the Irish government.

The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied on employed, middle-class, non-drinkers who have never been in Paddy's bar.

Now, do you understand......

Shouldn't the twats from the German Bank and the naive investors pay their share !!! :(!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

https://twitter.com/#!/mcewenrobbie/status/154864461017120768

Robbie McEwenmcewenrobbie
    not well, hope its food poisoning & not a virus. made a last lap attack but didn't have the power. @Mark_Renshaw sorry about vomitting on u.

• Advertisement

An old one from AH but a great one.
    kwalshe wrote: »
    was aged about 10 and in nutgrove sc and checking a new fancy cycling cap (like the ones sean kelly used to wear ) they had, it was real slick and low profile.
    I struggled to put that b@stard on for 10 mins until the shop owner came over and told me it was a saddle cover

Fair play to Wiggle. Ordered these last week. They're a pair of 20L panniers, which I ordered specifically because I didn't want to be hauling a single huge pannier around all the time, but also wanted an extra bag in case I needed to bring in more stuff one day.

Order arrived yesterday, only one pannier. Double-checked everything to make sure I did order two panniers, yep, the packer probably didn't realise it was supposed to be a pair of bags. Fired off an email to them, they came back and just asked for a photo of the pannier to ensure that they would pick the correct one. Sent that off to them and just got an email notifying me that the bag was being overnighted (well overweekended I suppose) via DHL.

Pretty impressive turnaround.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Does half of Boards shop in Marks and Sparks? I met both Doctor Bob and morana in there at lunchtime today (and before the rumours start, no they weren't shopping together).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Does half of Boards shop in Marks and Sparks? I met both Doctor Bob and morana in there at lunchtime today (and before the rumours start, no they weren't shopping together).

Cycling isn't a poor mans sport;)

Olympic re-sale of returned tickets started today - lots of problems with the system, but I've managed to get hold of a ticket for the Kierin qualification and Women's Omnium 3k pursuit:D

Can't be in 2 places at once, so I now need to offload the Mens 3m Diving semi-final ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Can't be in 2 places at once, so I now need to offload the Mens 3m Diving semi-final ticket

Easy on there lads! No shoving. Form an orderly queue please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    so I now need to offload the Mens 3m Diving semi-final ticket

An I thought being a Man U fan you'd love to see more diving ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I was mooching around Flickr looking at bike pictures (the way you do…) and saw this:

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/81705/187431.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I wouldn't usually shop there, but I do sometimes like to slum it with the regular joes- as a public servant, it's good to know how my charges masters live. Of course, had I known I'd have to interact with them, I might have stuck with Fallon & Byrne.

(And to add insult to injury, they didn't even have any organic hummus left! Oh the horror.)
    Crow92 wrote: »
    Cycling isn't a poor mans sport

Sport? With my Dutch tank, the only sport I do is weightlifting. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was mooching around Flickr looking at bike pictures (the way you do…) and saw this:

Is it advertising so you can see the bike?

10% off wiggle - not sure if there's a spending limit, but it worked for me for an over £50 amount there (before I applied a voucher :)).

Code is:
    10-off

funny_sport-5.jpg

Cycled to work again today, another €8.50 saved :)

Club spin today. Only 80k spin, but I suffered. Hit Enniskerry and my legs decided, "Nope, we're done", and I couldn't tell them to shut up, so it was a slow drag home.

The previous spins in the same group I'd been on had been relatively easy for me, so I was convinced I'd lost a lot of fitness over Xmas. Uploaded the ride to strava. PR's all over the place. So they were going faster than usual. That's heartening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Did 102km myself today in perfect conditions - 15degs Celsius, no wind this morning on the way out to Macroom from Cork and a nice little tail wind on the way back.

Putting in the kms over Christmas for the Strava 500 has bumped up my fitness a fair bit, now must keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dubba wrote: »
    Did 102km myself today in perfect conditions - 15degs Celsius, no wind this morning on the way out to Macroom from Cork and a nice little tail wind on the way back.

Putting in the kms over Christmas for the Strava 500 has bumped up my fitness a fair bit, now must keep it up.

walked up the road a couple of miles (still trying to clear a back problem :( )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    Club spin today. Only 80k spin, but I suffered. Hit Enniskerry and my legs decided, "Nope, we're done", and I couldn't tell them to shut up, so it was a slow drag home.

The previous spins in the same group I'd been on had been relatively easy for me, so I was convinced I'd lost a lot of fitness over Xmas. Uploaded the ride to strava. PR's all over the place. So they were going faster than usual. That's heartening :)

I was meant to be leading that spin and got dropped as well.

I was meant to be leading that spin and got dropped as well.
    You actually passed me fixing a puncture somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Nice day for a spin but the wind was a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Nice day for a spin but the wind was a bitch.

Tell me about it. Crawled up the Wicklow Gap from Laragh and sighed watching all the cyclists descend the opposite direction with a glorious tail-wind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Club spin takes a longer route with a couple of decent hills for January and February. Forgot that and headed out early for some sneaky miles before the meet-up. 5 and a quarter hours and 140km is not really what the doctor ordered for early January but I'm sure it will stand to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any cheap turbos going atm?

You actually passed me fixing a puncture somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Nice day for a spin but the wind was a bitch.

Ah right. You were with Pat's group then, just ahead of us. Hell of a place to flat.

Devil's Glen finished me off. I was crawling up it. My excuse is a hard session the day before, but really at this point of the year I should be hanging in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My excuse is a hard session the day before, but really at this point of the year I should be hanging in there.

That sounds like my weekend spins, but our spins had less hills :o

must try harder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I crawled up to Glencree on the ThinkBike Spin yesterday and then went home. Haven't felt so crap on a bike for ages. Blaming the 4 days of Flu over Xmas. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

chatroulette-trolling-im-not-that-desperate.jpg

Almost forgot about this. Coming back through Terenure on the way back from yesterday's spin, I spotted a guy with a dog in the basket on the back of his bike. The dog had his head stuck out to the side, feeling the wind on its face, just like a dog in a car sticks its head out the window.

Two recent quotes from Charlie Brooker that I found funny:
    There's a new Dark Knight film out this year. Calling Batman "the Dark Knight" is like calling Papa Smurf "the Blue Patriarch": you're not fooling anyone.
    The King's Speech is like Rocky for stammerers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Two recent quotes from Charlie Brooker that I found funny:

i prefered
    Helena Bonham Carter as the empire's first QUILF

My all-time favourite, though this was some time ago, was when he described John Kerry as having the demeanour of a haunted tree.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement