Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I gave a mate a loan of my Rockhopper back in aug, I got it back the other night and just went out to put it back together and ................ rust

The evening he called to collect it it was up on my stand being washed and oiled it was as pretty as the day I bought it. When I picked it up from him it was dark but he is a tidy guy so I didnt even think of checking it. Chucked it into the car, got home and chucked it in the bike shed.

The rear group: rust
    chain: rust
    front: rust
    Shocks:rust and ceased
    frame is filthy and anything that could be rusted is........ I'm devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

friendship: rust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Beasty wrote: »
    To avoid breaking site rules I have had to remove the image of the person the Guards are seeking in connection with their enquires

i thought his face was stolen :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

i thought his face was stolen :confused:
    The last thing I'd want to steal is bcmf's image!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cyclepassion12-May.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Holy moses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

NickWray wrote: »
    Holy moses.

Yes, Moses was holy, it says so in the bible.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

attachment.php?attachmentid=272319&d=1326712449

Looks fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »

Looks fast!

Would you be saying that if I was pictured on it? No, didn't think so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Looks fast!

Looks fast even at a standstill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

bettiniphoto_0094973_1_full_600.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

She has a saddle for a hat. That Philip Treacy's a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Seatpost slipped all the way down suddenly on my cycle home this evening...Very very odd feeling.

I hope I don't freeze to death on the way home this evening, be the hokey tis cowld.

So did you make it back ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I thought it was actually very mild this evening, maybe there's something wrong with my body or summit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It was a lovely evening for it. I extended my commute home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It was a lovely evening for it. I extended my commute home.
    Yes, I love this weather. Had a very nice cycle this evening.

Shorts and sun block?

• Advertisement

Shorts and sun block?

I like bracing weather. Once you get your layers right, you can spin along at a nice pace and not break a sweat. And sounds at night seem to have a nicer quality when it's cold (something to do with lower humidity maybe?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Got me a cadence sensor from Garmin last night and set it up.

what's the point of the spoke sensor, does it just record distance or does it factor in anywhere to calcs. I presume it may be for computers without GPS to calc distances based on wheel size and revolutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

what's the point of the spoke sensor, does it just record distance or does it factor in anywhere to calcs. I presume it may be for computers without GPS to calc distances based on wheel size and revolutions?

I use a Garmin without a speed sensor. It works fine. One less bit of clutter on the bike.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It also takes over calculating the speed if there is no GPS signal - for example on indoor tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I presume it may be for computers without GPS to calc distances based on wheel size and revolutions?
    It's actually both, it works just like the magnet for a cateye, the unit corrects the speed and distance of the gps when signal is bad or slow.
    Without it all distances and speed are gps based. I use that on the mtb when under trees and slow speed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That was awkward.

I am in work and I am ordering through the phone some wheels and the magic question appears.. "What color nipples do you want? I have black,white and red. " So.. i naturally reply "Hm.. black or white nipples? No white is not going to work, I ll go with the black nipples." By the time I realised what I said, I had few eyes around looking at me funny.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That was awkward.

I am in work and I am ordering through the phone some wheels and the magic question appears.. "What color nipples do you want? I have black,white and red. " So.. i naturally reply "Hm.. black or white nipples? No white is not going to work, I ll go with the black nipples." By the time I realised what I said, I had few eyes around looking at me funny.. :o

25i2gw0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Just went in freewheeling (i think) on Pearse street because I had given up on trying to adjust my derailleur and the guy there adjusted the two of them on the spot. Wouldnt take anything for the job either. No affiliation just thought it was decent of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Like chilli and chocolate, it shouldn't work but does....

I really need to stop looking at bicycle tool websites, I'm going to end up broke!
    Does any one know of any discussion groups or any thing? Because I really have a problem:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Holyboy wrote: »
    I really need to stop looking at bicycle tool websites, I'm going to end up broke!
    Does any one know of any discussion groups or any thing? Because I really have a problem:o

Talk to me about the tools :P do you have the morningstar freehub tool and morningstar j-tool?

Crow92 wrote: »
    Talk to me about the tools :P do you have the morningstar freehub tool and morningstar j-tool?

Not yet, I have drooled over them enough though, some day I will have ALL the tools, might need a bigger shop first though! Phil Wood spoke cutting and threading tool is on the list but $3,900 is a big spend:eek:
    Do I build enough wheels to warrant it, yes(that's obviously a maybe!)

Not yet, I have drooled over them enough though, some day I will have ALL the tools, might need a bigger shop first though! Phil Wood spoke cutting and threading tool is on the list but $3,900 is a big spend:eek:
    Do I build enough wheels to warrant it, yes(that's obviously a maybe!)

I assume you'd need to pay customs/vat on them aswell??... hmmm... How is the repair business going?? Busy this side of the year?

• Advertisement

I assume you'd need to pay customs/vat on them aswell??... hmmm... How is the repair business going?? Busy this side of the year?

Vat yes, customs depending where they come from, Ireland is a nightmare for getting anything out of the ordinary.
    Repair business is very busy indeed, new years resolutions and the good weather are helping, always looking for strange stuff though even if it leaves me at a loss, the boring stuff makes the money but it's no fun:rolleyes:

Vat yes, customs depending where they come from, Ireland is a nightmare for getting anything out of the ordinary.
    Repair business is very busy indeed, new years resolutions and the good weather are helping, always looking for strange stuff though even if it leaves me at a loss, the boring stuff makes the money but it's no fun:rolleyes:

How is your skills at removing rusted seatposts? lol.

Bought a giro200 bike frame 3 months ago that turned out has basically fused shut. probably gonna throw it over to rothar at some stage.

have you ever thought of making (welding) steel framed bikes?

Is the former for cleaning out and regreasing the freehub? I got one for Christmas. Email correspondence with Paul Morningstar is very entertaining.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Is the former for cleaning out and regreasing the freehub? I got one for Christmas. Email correspondence with Paul Morningstar is very entertaining.

Yea it is, the latter afaik is for removing the rubber cover on the freehub.

What were so entertaining bout the emails?:D

Bought a giro200 bike frame 3 months ago that turned out has basically fused shut. probably gonna throw it over to rothar at some stage.

Making custom frames is on my to do list and has been for about five years, but to do it right will take time, I'm not a bodger!!(And would never weld one;))
    I have NEVER failed to remove a seatpost, even if it takes months of trying, it'll come out some how!

• Advertisement

Yea it is, the latter afaik is for removing the rubber cover on the freehub.

What were so entertaining bout the emails?:D

I think he spent his youth in the sixties, and retains a freewheeling informality in his prose style.

I ordered the reusable dust cap last spring, and he very kindly included an offcut of deckchair material that I might use as a tyre boot. He claimed in the note he tucked into the parcel that the deckchair had recently been sat on by J. Lo.

My wife then ordered by the entire freehub buddy for Christmas, and since her name is Bernadette he got into an extended email conversation about Bernadette Devlin, and how progressive-thinking persons in the sixties were fans of what she was doing.

Making custom frames is on my to do list and has been for about five years, but to do it right will take time, I'm not a bodger!!(And would never weld one;))
    I have NEVER failed to remove a seatpost, even if it takes months of trying, it'll come out some how!

I'll mention you to a friend of mine. He has an incredibly obstinate one.

Ha I'd be half tempted to through it at you to see what your made of :P it actually took you months a trying before to remove one?

Actually, a good project would be to make one of those bamboo bikes.that'd be class.

How big is your shop? I really must pop by to look at it sometime (I've said that before). I've honestly felt slightly dis-satisfied with every bike shop I've been in. (not suggestesting yours will be :P)

Ha I'd be half tempted to through it at you to see what your made of :P it actually took you months a trying before to remove one?

Actually, a good project would be to make one of those bamboo bikes.that'd be class.

How big is your shop? I really must pop by to look at it sometime (I've said that before). I've honestly felt slightly dis-satisfied with every bike shop I've been in. (not suggestesting yours will be :P)

It can take time for a brilliant mind to kick into action, four months to remove a Miche BB......but no one else could do it:D
    I accept your challenge, bring it on I say!
    My cave is tiny, some what the same as a box room in a three bed suburban house but I'm stuck with it for now, still waiting for TR to pop in and say hello, I see Bromptons and trailers all day every day and always wonder, is that him??:pac:

I do sometimes go that way. Dammit, I should pop in and say hello!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

still waiting for TR to pop in and say hello, I see Bromptons and trailers all day every day and always wonder, is that him??:pac:

You'd be better off waiting until darkness falls- he's the one with airplanes trying to land on his back.:)

I may soon have a bottom bracket for your attention (eccentric, aluminium, stubborn). What's that they say about an irresistible force meeting an immovable object? Well, something's gotta give, something's gotta give, something's gotta give...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Hey holyboy

we've actually got a really tough seatpost in rothar at the minute. The owner attempted to remove the seat post but broke it about 1cm above the seat post clamp. Any thoughts? Where is your shop based?

188846.png

What?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What?

I hate you for making me think about that for even a millisecond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

so the bum is ok?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement