Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

saxo_tinkoff_jersey_600.jpeg

i dont know what i tinkoff that top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Too much yellow. Got no respec'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Hmm, two banks funding real estate on the same jersey. What could possibly go wrong? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Mix-ups like that happen to the best of them
    When I worked in a lab in California, we were under strict instructions to use metric for all measurements, I assume to avoid this sort of expensive gaffe. I think the only non-metric allowed was psi for gas pressure (I was working with gas chromatography).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

doozerie wrote: »
    Bike lockers now available in parts of Dublin. Interesting idea, though I wonder whether you'd have trouble with storing a bike with a full length rear mudguard.

bike.jpg

Edit: Oops, already covered in this thread

Did you photoshop out the Hi-Viz and helmet? The other thread has a bib and helmet in the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Mix-ups like that happen to the best of them
    When I worked in a lab in California, we were under strict instructions to use metric for all measurements, I assume to avoid this sort of expensive gaffe. I think the only non-metric allowed was psi for gas pressure (I was working with gas chromatography).

Ain't that fancy for farting?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Let the head rule the heart and went to bed on Friday night without bidding on this.
    Never again, I say, I say...NEVER AGAIN! :mad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-BMC-Team-Machine-SLR01-Carbon-Road-Frameset-53cm-/230810567423?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item35bd61c2ff

A $4000 frame for $1525 :(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

2011 BMC Road Racer SL01 on adverts for €800 if your interested

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/bmc-full-carbon-road-bike-frameset/1704455

Too big, but thanks for the heads up.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭tonycombat

cyclingsamara001-53.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Holyboy wrote: »
    Should I get my self a road bike and start cycling?

All views appreciated :D

DO IT.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esp for Beasty and Lumen !

National+TT.JPG

Nationals+RR.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The machine that goes 'ping'?

On a more serious note, way back when I was dumb enough to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft we were all told the horror story of the French parachutist who jumped in Ireland using borrowed kit and thought the altimeter was reading meters when it was reading in feet.

It didn't end well, but we took it that it was just a scary story to make sure we paid attention, given you'd deploy your canopy when needle hit the yellow on the colour-coded dial anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Team Sky has released a song ahead of its participation in this year's Tour de France, starting on Saturday (June 30).

According to the squad, the track has been created to "help inspire, excite and motivate Team Sky riders ahead of the Tour".

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/533598/sky-releases-official-team-song-ahead-of-tour-de-france.html

oh god (love the comment though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

AstraMonti wrote: »
    http://boingboing.net/2009/03/19/verizon-doesnt-under.html

This is amazingly hilarious. The guys on the phone can not understand the difference between 0,002 cents and 0,002 dollars.

During a training session on how to record results and round numbers in a large pharmaceutical I got into an argument with the trainer.

"That's not how you round numbers"
    "Well, thats what it says here"
    "OK round 5.44444444449 to one decimal place"
    "5.5"
    "It's 5.4"
    "Not according to the SOP"

(Noone quote the massive maths error I made on here last year)

anyone thinking a nice understated approach would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

i_never_would_have_passed_kindergarten.png

hardCopy wrote:
    Did you photoshop out the Hi-Viz and helmet? The other thread has a bib and helmet in the pic.

They are in the picture*, but hi-viz and helmets are actually so hideous that they are invisible to the average human eye. You need a common-sense lobotomy in order to be able to actually make them visible and the more common sense you remove the more blindingly visible they become - employees of the provisional marketing wings of the RSA, the AA, etc., are obliged to undergo this lobotomy operation as part of their terms of employment, though many other people seem to undergo it voluntarily too.

*No, they are not in the picture, I just pasted a different picture from the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was working at putting together some IKEA sh1t today when I heard what sounded like a burst pipe in another room. I followed the noise to one of my bikes and discovered that it had decided to spontaneously puncture. I didn't have the bike out today so no idea what caused it. There's a new Conti GP4000 on it with only about 250km. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the tyre. I'll open it up in the morning and have a look. Grrr!! I hate gremlins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

http://www.transportforireland.ie/cycling/

Good bike section here, written very well with some good facts about cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I love how it says 'if' you wear a helmet, make sure it fits rather than 'always wear a helmet or you'll get pregnant and die'. High vis is also only mentioned in the cycling at night section rather than it being something you should wear every waking hour. It's positively sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I really like Nature Valley bars, both on and off the bike, but this is so true:

tumblr_lraeeaMZCS1qa82u1o1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Everywhere is right, found some in the 2 year olds bed yesterday, how they got there I've no idea.

ThisRegard wrote:
    Everywhere is right, found some in the 2 year olds bed yesterday, how they got there I've no idea.

When your 2yr-old is secretly carb loading you know you are in for a rough time ahead. Batten down the hatches!

She's getting pretty good at her nutrition intake alright, even when on the move. We went to the Phoenix Park Sunday for a gander at the bike thing that was on, half way around she and the dogs fell behind so I turned around to see what she was up to. She was taking these small organic kiddie biscuits from her pockets and eating then. I had wondered where they went to that morning as I found the empty packet on the ground and the dogs were hoovering up the crumbs so assumed she had given them to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

These are our daughter's favourite biscuits. If anyone knows where to find them in Dublin, it'd be great. Great for conversations from the back of the trailer, "A lion! Rarrr!" Om nom nom.

016392.jpg

would i look like a fred ......

002-860x572.jpg

with that, would you care?

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    with that, would you care?

shame its out of stock, oh and i cant afford it :D

If you tried to ride it in that state, then yes you would. Take it off the workstand first, put some wheels, a groupset, etc., on it and no-one would dare call you a fred for fear you'd burn rubber and leave them floundering.

shame its out of stock, oh and i cant afford it :D
    i know the feeling :)

On the way into work today got a puncture. No biggie, tried to pump and go but wasn't happening, so tried to change it. Stupidly realised I brought the wrong tube (35mm instead of 23mm), tried to fit it to see if it'd get me in but it wouldn't go into the tyre. Dropped into MacDonald's Cycles on Wexford Street (Dublin), picked up two tubes, and the lad even put it back into the tyre for me. Took him around one minute which was impressive, but doing the work without payment for labour (even if it just took a minute) earned a lot of goodwill from me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went out for a spin at the weekend, felt old as I held onto the brakes on every descent and never fully let myself open up.

Just checked my garmin, while it lasted, fastest recorded speed was 84.6kmph, guess I ain't that afraid of a bit of speed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Timmah!

+1 for MacDonals on Wexford st.
    In the past month they have given me some cage nuts, a pad spacer for a disk brake and two spanners free of charge.
    I know these aren't costly items and they must have loads lying around but I was still surprised to be handed them foc.
    I'll be back.

Dónal wrote: »
    On the way into work today got a puncture. No biggie, tried to pump and go but wasn't happening, so tried to change it. Stupidly realised I brought the wrong tube (35mm instead of 23mm), tried to fit it to see if it'd get me in but it wouldn't go into the tyre. Dropped into MacDonald's Cycles on Wexford Street (Dublin), picked up two tubes, and the lad even put it back into the tyre for me. Took him around one minute which was impressive, but doing the work without payment for labour (even if it just took a minute) earned a lot of goodwill from me.

hardCopy wrote: »

How about photoshopping out the bike?

210565.jpg

210566.jpg

etc.
    http://www.faithistorment.com/2012/05/floating-photos-by-zhao-huasen.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

How about photoshopping out the bike?
    Reminds me of a video installation where one viewer was edited out of the room as they walked around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

ThisRegard wrote: »

Must have been out on your bike. Kick some ass!

• Advertisement

As long as it's used and put back in such a way that I'd never realise it was taken.
    Planning on getting one of these the weekend actually, although I'd wonder how much use we'll get out of it with the weather we're having, a Bobike maxi Tour
    en_bobike_maxi_tour_urban-black.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

RT66 wrote: »
    I was working at putting together some IKEA sh1t today when I heard what sounded like a burst pipe in another room. I followed the noise to one of my bikes and discovered that it had decided to spontaneously puncture. I didn't have the bike out today so no idea what caused it. There's a new Conti GP4000 on it with only about 250km. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the tyre. I'll open it up in the morning and have a look. Grrr!! I hate gremlins.

Mystery solved, and of course idiocy was at the heart of it.
    I was mending punctures last week while watching Game of Thrones. I applied glue to the area around the puncture and decided I needed to apply more as the patch was bigger than the sticky area. So I applied more, but wasn't really paying attention coz some blonde bint was causing a distraction. Then I couldn't see the puncture any more but it had to be in the middle of the sticky bit so that's where I put the patch.
    It wasn't in the middle. I patched an area around 5mm away from the puncture. I did the TdeB and a couple of commutes with glue holding the tube together. When the room the bike was in heated up during the day, the glue softened and the puncture opened up again. The patch looked on helplessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

tonycombat wrote: »
    I luv this woman, who ever she is

In my opinion, she's certainly the best looking of this trio.

210605.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

New jersey, not that different to the old jersey:

Garmin_Sharp_jersey_12-1.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

New Orica - Green Edge kit

AwYH-L4CAAA5bHe.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Maybe we should create a generic pro-discussion thread where we could put all these ^^ stuff about gear/teams/riders/etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Timmah! wrote: »
    +1 for MacDonals on Wexford st.
    In the past month they have given me some cage nuts, a pad spacer for a disk brake and two spanners free of charge.
    I know these aren't costly items and they must have loads lying around but I was still surprised to be handed them foc.
    I'll be back.
    they looked after me a couple of times too. free bearings for an old bottom bracket one time, wouldnt take any money.

I'd put them in my top 3 bike shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

These are our daughter's favourite biscuits. If anyone knows where to find them in Dublin, it'd be great. Great for conversations from the back of the trailer, "A lion! Rarrr!" Om nom nom.

016392.jpg

Never seen those ones but have got these from M&S a few times, Kids seem to like them but I don't think there is a biscuit or cookies as she calls them my 2year old would not demolish a pack of if she got the chance. By the way thanks for the recipe for the chocolate thumb print cookies last year like making them with peanut butter myself nom nom.

20120328-083942.jpg?w=510

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

animal crackers

05024121617300.png

These are similar also, can get them in Tesco and I think Dunnes, and now online apparently on the Organix website.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    05024121617300.png

These are similar also, can get them in Tesco and I think Dunnes, and now online apparently on the Organix website.

They can lead to terrible misunderstandings though:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement