Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a wobbly bridge in cork?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was told that there is something called "the wobbly bridge " in cork city ? is this true, if so where is it? Google map link would be great .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, the Shaky Bridge. Doesn't wobble side to side, but if you jump on it it makes some great noises.

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/I/5596995829362338817-5596996149970558946/shaky-bridge-cork/en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

its by fitzgeralds park

Ferry Walk, Cork, Co. Cork, Ireland

type that into google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

There is The "Shakey! Bridge crossing the river next to Fitzgerald Park , which is a cable suspension footbridge linking Sundays Well to the Park and Mardyke Sports Ground

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Daly's bridge

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Daly's Bridge
    Droichead Uí Dhálaigh200px-ShakeyBridgeCorkIreland.jpg
    Looking north across bridgeOther name(s)Shakey BridgeCarriesPedestriansCrossesRiver LeeLocaleCorkDesignSuspension bridgeMaterialWrought ironTotal length~50mWidth~1.4mConstructed byDavid Rowell & Co.Opened1927Coordinates17px-WMA_button2b.png51°53′48″N 8°29′57″W / 51.89655°N 8.49922°W / 51.89655; -8.49922Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png51°53′48″N 8°29′57″W / 51.89655°N 8.49922°W / 51.89655; -8.49922Daly's bridge is a pedestrian bridge spanning the River Lee in Cork, Ireland. Known locally as the Shakey Bridge, it joins Sunday's Well road on the northside, to Fitzgerald's Park on the south.[1]
    Completed in 1926 and opened in 1927,[2] it is the only suspension bridge in Cork city and was constructed by the London based David Rowell & Company.[3]
    Constructed primarily of wrought iron, the bridge spans 160 feet,[4] and the timber planked walkway is four and a half feet wide.[1]
    The bridge takes its official name from Cork businessman James Daly, who contributed to the cost of the bridge. It's colloquial name (the "Shakey Bridge" or "Shaky Bridge") derives from the movement of the platform when running or jumping on the bridge.[1]
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Daly%27s_bridge&action=edit&section=1"][COLOR=#0645ad]edit[/COLOR][/URL See also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

wow, quick reply, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Kinvara i think you need to work on your copy and pasting skills :P

Yeah as the rest have said its accessible from just outside the back corner(side next to mardyke arena) of Fitzgeralds park. Have been on it quite a few times in the last few weeks and the thing could really do with a paint job and a bit of doing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's great fun to bring tourists onto the bridge and then start jumping up and down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

TBH it doesnt really shake that much anymore. in the " old days " when I was a kid it was really wobbly . The bridge was strengthened up and re done .. health and safety I expect !

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

its a great spot to see dog poop, old cans of beer, old 2 litres, wackers fishing while they drink as your bringing the kids to fitzy's playground!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I walk over it every day and if there's more than one person crossing over in the same direction at roughly the same pace it definitely causes harmonic oscillation of the bridge, noticeable but not very dramatic. Wasn't there one in London built by Norman Foster called the Millenium Bridge I think that was really wobbly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TBH it doesnt really shake that much anymore. in the " old days " when I was a kid it was really wobbly . The bridge was strengthened up and re done .. health and safety I expect !

Or maybe you noticed it more then because you were smaller and younger.
    Don't know myself. I haven't gone over it in about 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

that did cross my mind ludo !! could be :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,903 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ncur wrote: »
    I walk over it every day and if there's more than one person crossing over in the same direction at roughly the same pace it definitely causes harmonic oscillation of the bridge, noticeable but not very dramatic. Wasn't there one in London built by Norman Foster called the Millenium Bridge I think that was really wobbly?

yeah.... it makes noises;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

Yes it is much more solid now than it used to be. I remember as a kid being absolutely petrified walking over it with my parents with my hands clamped onto the sides. The closest thing I could compare it to was the scene from Indiana Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7kHsZGk6E

Lol obviously that's a bit of an exaggeration but it was definitely nothing like it is today. As you walked the whole thing swayed side to side. It's structural behaviour since they refurbished it does not warrant calling it "the shakey bridge" anymore.

Advertisement