Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear dérailleur cable sticking

• 15-10-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

I've had problems shifting the rear derailleur to higher gears during the week. It seemed very reluctant to move up. On inspection today, I find that the cable seems to be sticking, somewhere around the section of covered cable near the saddle. As I shift upwards, I get slack cable along the crossbar, and no movement in the cable from the saddle down to the dérailleur. I've attached a photo of the slack in the cable at the crossbar, being held in my grubby fingertips.

Any ideas what I need to do to make sure there is enough tension in the cable at the dérailleur to shift up the gears?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lubrication.
    1. Change into your lowest gear on the back.
    2. Then, without pedalling, shift back to highest gear.
    3. This will leave the cable slack and you'll be able to pull the sleeve out of its socket in the frame.
    4. Move the outer along the cable.
    5. Wipe and re-lube the inner.
    6. Then refit the outer.
    7. Repeat for each stretch of outer sleeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

what cdaly says or change the cable and casing as the cables and casing are coming the end of their useful life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Lubrication.
    1. Change into your lowest gear on the back.
    2. Then, without pedalling, shift back to highest gear.
    3. This will leave the cable slack and you'll be able to pull the sleeve out of its socket in the frame.
    4. Move the outer along the cable.
    5. Wipe and re-lube the inner.
    6. Then refit the outer.
    7. Repeat for each stretch of outer sleeve.

Thanks - this did the biz all right. It was a bit of a rusty colour, so I'm not sure how much longer it will last, but it is definitely an improvement. I was still a bit cautious about how to get the cables out of the stops. It might seem obvious, but I wasn't sure if I should just pull them, or if something had to be unscrewed or what. This vid helped

Advertisement