Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastic kits(airfix etc)

Options
  • 15-10-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

hi everyone
    im thinking of getting back into the plastic kit scene ,airfix revell and the like,now i built a fair few as an early teen but none to a high standard,so im just looking for any hints, tips, experience from any more experienced modellers here.stuff like.
    do you paint your components before assembly,
    how not to blob the glue on,
    tips for good camo painting and so on
    all answers welcome and most appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Try here the IPMS Ireland forum

http://www.ipmsireland.com/forum/

I recently decide to give it a go again. Busy with a Wingnut 1/32 Bristol Fighter. Think I've gone in the deep end.

There are other good forums like Britmodeller and Aeroscale among others. Loads of tip and inspirational models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

xflyer wrote: »

I recently decide to give it a go again. Busy with a Wingnut 1/32 Bristol Fighter. Think I've gone in the deep end.

There are other good forums like Britmodeller and Aeroscale among others. Loads of tip and inspirational models.

Thanks xflyer very helpful.. Lots of reading ahead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

Working on a 1/35th scale tiger tank at the minute.
    Kit made by acadamey with internal details.
    I've had the kit about two years or more but only started it a few weeks back.
    I'll throw pics up over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

xflyer wrote: »

Thanks for the link, I've been looking at this for a while planning on starting with an airfix 1:72 hurricane in aer corps colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, I've been looking at this for a while planning on starting with an airfix 1:72 hurricane in aer corps colours.

I was looking through a few sites recently and people into modeling didn't seem too impressed with airfix kits.

Thinking of doing a few kits myself but will start off with a couple of cheap fast assembly kits to get used to the glueing and painting side of things before trying something a bit more of a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm only starting out with airfix aswell, using the cheap starter kits to develop some basic model making skills like gluing, painting, decal application atc. The starter kits are good value because if you mess up, your only out a tenner & its a cheap lesson learned.

Please excuse the state of this, but its a first attempt. A 1945 era P-51, €10.99 jobbie. By the time I was finished, I was just about getting the hang of the painting...but as you can see here it's nowhere near as smooth as it should be.

I'll do a few more of these, before moving onto basic airbrushing as its good experience nonetheless. I got the hang of water slide decal application, though aligning them needs more refinement. For the next kit, I'll be looking at properly preparing the plastics to make the paint application better, proper sprue trimming & sanding etc

SA702581.jpg

SA702584.jpg

SA702585.jpg

SA702586.jpg

SA702587.jpg

SA702589.jpg

SA702596.jpg

SA702598.jpg

SA702599.jpg

SA702601.jpg

It's rough I know, but for a tenner or so I've learned loads & should see an improvement for the next kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Where did you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

SLIM19198 wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

Toymaster in Dublin city center, Smyths also has the Spitfire Mk1A in the same range with supplied paints etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I built a lot of them years ago , a neighbour gave me tip ...find a photograph of the model you're building and compare for details.....he used paint on oilstains ,marks/stains from exhaust pipes , sand down the underside of the wheels to make them look like weight was bearing down on them.

On larger models he would try to make the aircraft look as if they patched up after being shot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think thinning paint and using 2 or 3 thin coats (It WONT cover the plastic in just one) is a very important tip.Many kits need a good wash in mild luke warm soapy water to get wax used in the moulds off too to ensure paint stick .IPMS Ireland website well worth a look .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mattjack wrote: »
    I built a lot of them years ago , a neighbour gave me tip ...find a photograph of the model you're building and compare for details.....he used paint on oilstains ,marks/stains from exhaust pipes , sand down the underside of the wheels to make them look like weight was bearing down on them.

On larger models he would try to make the aircraft look as if they patched up after being shot up.

I used to heat the plastic and depress it slightly for better effect.

I must try remember to scan some old photos of my models when I was showing them here and in the UK.. I'd some published in Military Modelling Magazine too.

Its a hobby I'd love to get back into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I must try remember to scan some old photos of my models when I was showing them here and in the UK.. I'd some published in Military Modelling Magazine too.

would love to see those photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

SLIM19198 wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

the shops listed below all of which stock Airfix model kits

Art & Hobby
    Dundrum Town Centre , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012962944

Art & Hobby
    Blackrock Shopping Centre , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012834326

Banba Toymaster
    Mary Street, Dublin , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018727100

Marks Models
    14 Hawkins Street, Dublin 2 , Republic of Ireland
    T: 016715809

Marks Models
    339 Dun Laoighre Shopping Centre, Co Dublin , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012845855

Marks Models
    Unit 7 Block G, Greenogue Business Park, Rathcoole , Republic of Ireland
    T: 014124829

Nimble Fingers
    1 Stillorgan Road, Stillorgan, Co Dublin, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012880788

Premier Arts & Crafts
    Blacklion Shopping Centre, Greystones , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012862130

Pride & Joy
    19-21 Donaghmede, Shopping Centre, Dublin, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018476107

Nimble Fingers
    1 Stillorgan Road, Stillorgan, Co Dublin, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012880788

Premier Arts & Crafts
    Blacklion Shopping Centre, Greystones , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012862130

Pride & Joy
    19-21 Donaghmede, Shopping Centre, Dublin, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018476107

Smyths
    Jervis Street, Dublin , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018782878

Smyths
    Unit 424, Blanchardstown Centre, Dublin 15 , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018223260

Smyths
    Tallaght Retail Centre, Begard Road, Dublin 24 , Republic of Ireland
    T: 014598610

Smyths - Carrickmines
    Unit 1, The Park, Carrickmines, Co Dublin , Republic of Ireland
    T: 012998240

Smyths - Clondalkin
    Fonthill Retail Park, Font Hill Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 , Republic of Ireland
    T: 016304451

Smyths - Swords
    Unit 10, Airside Retail Park, Swords, Dublin , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018903911

The Art & Hobby Shop
    Unit 13b, Omni Park S/c, Santry, Dublin 9, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018624500

The Art & Hobby Shop
    Unit 4, Jervis S/c, Jervis St, Dublin 1, Eire , Republic of Ireland
    T: 018745312

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I tried my hand at one of these Airfix starter kits over the last few days and have been well and truly bitten by the bug. Really enjoyed building this model and learned a lot in the process. There are some annoying little faults like the top and bottom sections of the starboard wing aren't aligned correctly. The canopy doesn't quite meet the fuselage on the port side. Canopy frame isn't painted (yet). Despite these faults, I'm happy enough with it for a first attempt.

Spitfire Mk1a, No. 92 Squadron, RAF Manston, December 1940.

6743695851_59c529be4d_z.jpg

6743693835_81a64bfa15_z.jpg

6743691457_8bc589f86d_z.jpg

6743689123_0317c3169c_z.jpg

6743686601_bb16f47a2e_z.jpg

6743684441_74ddcf5193_z.jpg

6743681879_4a09f4cfb0_z.jpg

6743678975_7b22bdcd24_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

mate get yourself onto ipms ireland website...you'll love it and its very useful

Advertisement