Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Advice needed

Options
  • 15-10-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Here's the story :
    I'm 16, in 6th year in the Irish College in Waterford City
    I want to do the Law and Accounting course when I leave school
    But, of course, my parents and I are worried about the money side of things
    What I want to know is what I'll have to pay for to start me off
    Any helpful input appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do you have any idea if you're eligible for the third level grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AntoinC95

Couldn't tell you, to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

see what your parents income is and check the thresholds to see if ur entitled to a full/partial grant

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Speak to your guidance councilor about whether or not you would qualify for the student grant. College fees were €2000 this year without the grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

What I want to know is what I'll have to pay for to start me off
    Basically it's the €2000 registration fee which must be paid. If you get a full maintenance grant from your local authority, they'll pay it automatically from the grant money. The grant is €3120 for this year and is paid in 3 installments, the first of which was paid last Wednesday. This can be applied for every year of being in college.

Then there's accommodation, which I'm guessing will be important if you're living in Waterford. You can expect accommodation to cost anywhere from €3000-€4500 the year - both on and off campus. On-campus works out more expensive I'd say, after feeding yourself properly (i.e. not pizza every night :pac:) and paying for bills.

You may also find yourself eligable for the HEAR scheme which I managed to get and is of good benefit to get settled in. There's also a grant side to that, which last year was around €800, but I'm not sure what it will be this year as it has hasn't been given yet.

At least you're getting in there early. When it comes to money it's better get things sorted ASAP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

AntoinC95 wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you, to be honest

Why bother to reply so?

Details of the grant can be found here:

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

kpac wrote: »
    Basically it's the €2000 registration fee which must be paid. If you get a full maintenance grant from your local authority, they'll pay it automatically from the grant money. The grant is €3120 for this year and is paid in 3 installments, the first of which was paid last Wednesday. This can be applied for every year of being in college.
    )

The grant level obviously depends on the circumstances of each individual. Some might just get the registration paid while others get extra money like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

registration is 2000
    accomodation is 60 euro per week off campus, this is half the price of the cheapest campus accom.

on top of that then you will need about 100 euro per week!

as a good guide, pay your registration, and then 800-1000 per month including renting and bills and drinking!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

AntoinC95 wrote: »
    Here's the story :
    I'm 16, in 6th year in the Irish College in Waterford City

Won't be doing much drinking at 16/17.... not fun for any bars that are sticklers for ID.

Funny nobody asks me for ID anymore :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

hey, I'm in 4th year and law and am from Waterford also. One thing I would recommend is to apply for the Credit Union college bursary that is advertised around Waterford. Closing date is generally around Easter, so make sure to keep a look out for it. Two of my friends got it the last few years. I think it's around €2000 so it won't solve your money worries, but it might at least make things a little more comfortable and ease some of the troubles.

As for other advice, the rest of the thread is great advice, find out if you're eligible for the grant, do your best to get a job for the summer and save save save. Beyond that, perhaps you could work part time if you're set on studying in Limerick, it would really reduce the pressure on your parents.

If you're more interested in the accounting side of things, WIT has one of the best accounting courses in the country, with the maximum number of exemptions in the professional exams, so don't think that you *have* to move away from home to give yourself a good chance at 3rd level.

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

registration is 2000
    accomodation is 60 euro per week off campus, this is half the price of the cheapest campus accom.

as a good guide, pay your registration, and then 800-1000 per month including renting and bills and drinking!:cool:

off campus is 60 per week excluding internet,tv, heating, bin collection and esb.
    Its still abit cheaper but its certainly not half the price.
    groody and brookfield are down to 75-80 a week which is a big drop towards last years 90-99

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

You won't get much change out of €25k - €30k over the course of 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

You could always try the credit union.;)

registration is 2000

100 a week? What? I've gotten by on 20 a week. If you're not stupid with your money you can spend very little and still be well fed and able to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Cydoniac wrote: »
    100 a week? What? I've gotten by on 20 a week. If you're not stupid with your money you can spend very little and still be well fed and able to go out.
    That's what I was thinking.

Does the 20 cover you for your food or do you bring it with you?
    I spend about 30 on food. supermarket and the odd roll in spar.
    bus up and down is 25euro. so im at 55 before i do anything.

garv123 wrote: »
    Does the 20 cover you for your food or do you bring it with you?
    I spend about 30 on food. supermarket and the odd roll in spar.
    bus up and down is 25euro. so im at 55 before i do anything.
    20 covers me foodwise but if I bring stuff from home usually don't need to spend more than 10. Try to bring my own lunches most of the time, sometimes buy something when out. Bus costs me 17 but I don't go home every week. I'm not the most frugal out there but I couldn't see myself spending more than 50 in a week unless there were bills or extras I needed to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Shenanigans.

Absolutely no way you could feed yourself 3 proper meals a day and afford to go out one night on €20.

Cost it for me if you want to prove it!

Without starving yourself or bringing most of your food/beer from home its not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I presume you brought food from home with you if that's the case?

Seriously, I struggle to get by on anything less than €70-80p/w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

20 covers me foodwise but if I bring stuff from home usually don't need to spend more than 10. Try to bring my own lunches most of the time, sometimes buy something when out. Bus costs me 17 but I don't go home every week. I'm not the most frugal out there but I couldn't see myself spending more than 50 in a week unless there were bills or extras I needed to pay for.

you obviously live on koka noodles if you live on 20 euro a week on food. You're obviously underestimating the money you spend and not fully disclosing the amount of food you bring from home.

If you're living on 20 euro a week for food you're probably have a horrible diet with very little protein or good quality fats.

• Advertisement

you obviously live on koka noodles if you live on 20 euro a week on food. You're obviously underestimating the money you spend and not fully disclosing the amount of food you bring from home.

If you're living on 20 euro a week for food you're probably have a horrible diet with very little protein or good quality fats.

butchers above in parkway shopping centre, a tenner gets you a pound of mince, 3 chicken fillets, 4 chicken burgers and 4 beef burgers. decent healthy food for the price. of course you have to add the likes of milk pasta spuds bread and other small bits to it but thats a great price for a 10er and healthy.

also the butchers in plassey park by spar you can get a bag of small seasoned spuds and 3 big chicken fillets and a marinate on them for 4.24 which gets you 2 meals. Dont buy ****e and eating isnt too expensive. I never bring food from home so i keep my eye out for decent food offers :D

Advertisement