Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable sizes

Options
  • 15-10-2011 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all, just looking for some advice. Im about to start wiring a new shed for a farmer. This shed is 15 bays long and is pretty vast. For now all he wants lighting so probably go down the route of high bay lighting but in the future he will be looking at doing a lot of other work in the shed needing more power. Hes also thinking of putting in a huge milking parlour close to this shed. Heres where I need some advice. To get power to the new shed Im looking at a run of around 150m. At the moment the farm is fed on a single phase supply but he wants to make provisions for 3 phase in the future. My question is what cable size am I looking at needing for this. Would using 25mm be overkill or god forbid not big enough!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

New supply probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fjh79

Hes not putting in a new supply now as the plan is to go 3ph in a few years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

To size the cable properly you need to start by knowing what size the load is. In this case the load will be large enough and the milking parlor will have a vacuum pump, bulk tank, refrigeration unit etc. For these reasons without even doing a calculation I can tell you I would be quite confident that a 25 sq. cable will be too small. 150m is a long way!

As suggested a new supply would probably be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

where is the nearest 3 phase? it it on the pole for current supply or down the lane.

On sizing, the local Ag advisor or IFA lads have all this stuff.

150 milking cows = X terawatt-hours:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cost a fortune

if it's a temporary arrangement over 150mts

calculate your demand anyhow

• Advertisement
Advertisement