Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple monitor development PC

Options
  • 15-10-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Folks,

I am looking to build a PC primarily for software development and web design, that will run windows 7 (software including the Adobe suite, Visual studio etc) and linux (everything else). It will also be used to watch sport and the occasional movie (but no gaming). Other requirements are a quiet PC, that will eventually use multiple monitors and will not be overclocked (explaining the case, CPU and mobo selections).After spending a lot of time going through previous posts, I have put the following together;
      Intel Core i5-2400 3.10GHz LGA1155 6MB - €167.37
      Crucial M4 128GB SSD- €167
      ASRock H61DE/S3, Sockel 1155, ATX - €64,25
      Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Mid-Tower USB 3.0 Case - €88.03
      XFX ATI Radeon 5670 775MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI - €52.04
      8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 - €34,67
      Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W - €52,00
      Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, SATA II - €51,31
      LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R - €16,87
      LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA - €16,94
      Dell 23" Wide U2311H IPS 8MS HD DVI LCD Monitor- €280 (including delivery Amazon)
    It comes in around my budget which is 1k.The prices are a mix from several sites(HWS,DABS and amazon), as HWS will only accept paypal for purchases up to €300.

I really don't know what monitor to go for but the dell U2311H seems a good option (although a bit pricey for a monitor and no HDMI). The plan is to add a second monitor in the new year. Any thoughts on the monitor or cheaper alternatives (the full adjustability is a must, IPS is not but hey:))? Any other recommendations, what parts are overkill or what parts should be improved, would be much appreciated?

Cheer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's just two monitors, I'd get rid of the graphics card.
    The spare money could get you a Z68 board and a 2500K - OK, I know that you said that you wouldn't be overclocking, but it gives you a few extra features as well as the option to overclock. You could bump up the performance for little difference in noise and heat between a 2400 and it is likely to give your system a longer lasting value. The 2500K also has better integrated graphics.

Regardless of whether you are going for a 2400 or 2500K, there will be similar noise from the stock cooler, so investing in a heatsink would be worthwhile (although that case is very quiet and should block out a lot of noise).

You could downgrade to the 450W as this is plenty whether you need a graphics card or not.

Edit: About the mix of sites... is it that you don't want to pay by bank transfer? Have you got a credit card? You could order from scan.co.uk which are usually quite cheap overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 El Hamos

Thanks for the reply, Monotype.

It will only be 2 monitors, so maybe I will go with the 2500k and a z68. I'll throw in a decent cooler, as that chip will have to be overclocked. Any thoughts on the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's the U2312HM which is a bit cheaper but less features, but what about the U2412M?
    €295 delivered from komplett.
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/80003372/Dell_24_U2412M_LED_8ms_DP_VGA_DVI/U2412M/default.aspx

For heatsinks, the mugen 3 is quiet and powerful but a little troublesome to install.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49134
    The freezer 13 pro should be a bit easier while staying considerably quieter than Intel's one.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49255

Advertisement