Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rescue dogs.

• 15-10-2011 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

The dogs in public places thread on AH(which i find both sad and funny), sparked this question) I am considering getting a rescue dog(please don't praise me because I have not decided yet), and have a question I am concerned about. Over here, if you rescue a dog, but the owner is found within six months of you adopting the dog, you have to return it. Has that ever happened to you? Is it one of the most heart breaking situations ever? Should I be concerned about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dogs coming through rescue will have done their time in the pound, which means that they can become yours. I would not worry about having to return the dog because their "old" owner has been found as the rescue would have already checked this out. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I would imagine it's very very rare.

Dogs can be returned to rescues for other reasons, but usually only in exceptional circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whispered wrote: »
    Dogs can be returned to rescues for other reasons, but usually only in exceptional circumstances.

Unless he/she really/really does not get on with our cats, I cant see me sending him/her back, unless as you say in exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Best of luck with it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unless the dog has gone through the pound system, or has been signed over to a rescue by the owner, the original owner actually has 366 days to reclaim their dog in ireland. It can and does happen.
    For this reason, I only rehome dogs that have either come through the pound, or been officially signed over by the owner. This protects me, protects the adopters, and most importantly, protects the dog. Personally, I wouldn't deal with a rescue unless they'd fulfilled either eventuality with the dogs they're rehoming.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never thought of that, but if you get a dog from a rescue what happens doesn't the rescue legally own the dog before you adopt it? Esp. when with some you have to sign a form etc.

I wouldn't let it put you off getting a dog, some dogs are in rescue for a looong time through no fault of their own they just haven't been picked yet. There's bound to be a dog for you.

Maybe it does happen but how often I don't know, ensuring the rescue or pound has checked for a microchip etc. first will give you peace of mind.

There's also dogs and puppies that are placed in to rescue by their owners they are signed over to the rescue so I presume that means legally the owners have no right to have the dog back after that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Once the dog has done his five days in the pound,
    Or,
    Once the dog has been signed or handed over to the rescue by the legal owner,
    The owner has no legal recourse to take the dog back.
    Do not assume a rescue group are rehoming a dog from either of these two categories. The dog may not actually be theirs to rehome, so anything you sign when adopting such a dog is meaningless.
    This is why I wouldn't deal with a rescue who is sloppy about ensuring their dogs can be legally rehomed. Good rescues have ensured they're acting legally.
    It has happened that owners have shown up and demanded their dog back where the dog was rehomed outside of the two requirements above. Not often, but it has happened. A travesty for all concerned.

Advertisement