Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defrost / refreeze

Options
  • 15-10-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to take some frozen raspberries, defrost them, blend them, remove the seeds then refreeze them. I'd estimate they'd be out of the freezer for < 10 minutes. Is that safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't see any problem with that. But we don't generally do not give advice on food safety in this forum as we cannot be sure of the conditions of the food, facilities, etc. That really is down to the poster's sense of smell, the appearance of the food & good ol' common sense.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dubgal101

ok, so im a chef and generally speaking you should most definatly cook your defrosted food before re-freezing, you do this because you dont know what the food has been near, something could have dripped on them, even in the freezer cross contamination can happen. even if you wash them there is a posibility of bacteria or germs in the water or on your container etc.
    it sounds like your making a coulis anyway so it makes no difference to the flavour to simmer it for a couple of minutes with some icing or castor sugar(as sometimes berries are rather bitter) and sqeeze of lemon juice just to brighten the flavour.
    cooking should also produce a smoother consistency.
    I hope that helped some.

Advertisement