Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding seeds

Options
  • 15-10-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

Am wondering about using seeds from home grown veg to grow more, I'm not sure if the seeds purchased in places like Lidl are hybrids, if they are then will their fruit produce seeds that grow?

Also, say tomatoes or peppers bought from the supermarket, will the seeds from those grow if planted?

Not sure if I'm explaining what I mean properly, but hopefully you get the jist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the problem with F1 or hybrid varieties, is that since the parent plant is a cross breed...the off spring usually displays more of one parent than the other, so the new plant will not be 'true to type', usually since f1's are bred for yields, distinct flavors and quicker ripening, the offspring will usually revert to much lower yields...in other words you may end up with all plant and no harvest.

usually the information will be on the seed packet and in almost all cases hybrid varieties will be more expensive....it is the cash cow for seed producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

dardevle wrote: »

the problem with F1 or hybrid varieties, is that since the parent plant is a cross breed...the off spring usually displays more of one parent than the other, so the new plant will not be 'true to type', usually since f1's are bred for yields, distinct flavors and quicker ripening, the offspring will usually revert to much lower yields...in other words you may end up with all plant and no harvest.

usually the information will be on the seed packet and in almost all cases hybrid varieties will be more expensive....it is the cash cow for seed producers.

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming then that it's possible to buy non hybrid type seeds that would produce and the next generation of seeds would also produce? is this what's know as heirloom seeds? I don't fully understand it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming then that it's possible to buy non hybrid type seeds that would produce and the next generation of seeds would also produce? is this what's know as heirloom seeds? I don't fully understand it to be honest.

This year I sowed non hybrid peppers, California Wonder, from Lidl. I also sowed seeds from bought peppers at the same time and found that there was no difference in the amounts that were produced.

Mo60 wrote: »
    This year I sowed non hybrid peppers, California Wonder, from Lidl. I also sowed seeds from bought peppers at the same time and found that there was no difference in the amounts that were produced.

Nice one, I was hoping to have ongoing yields over the next few years, doesn't seem like a bad idea the way things could go, I don't fancy having to keep paying €3 for a pack of 6 tomatoes in Superquinn, sure even 6 loose ones are about €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Portugal, Ireland, Cech Rep & Croatia i think.

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

:confused:

I think previous poster is saying that they might not be suitable for growing here.

I saved the seed from the bought peppers as an experiment. As you are just starting to grow from seed I would suggest you just buy a few packets of seed. Basic vegetable seeds are cheap to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Howjoe1 wrote: »

.... i think these are the seeds for the Euro 2012 qualifier playoffs,

an entirely different ballgame:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

become a member of irish seed savers (google them) they have non hybrid seed varieties and they encourage people to save there own seeds they have a pepper seed that my sister grows in greenhouse that does really well also some good tamato seeds for growing outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah I would go for seed savers and also join your local GYI as they have good seed swaps with other members and free talks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement