Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refurbing a gt agressor

• 15-10-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, got my hands on a gt agressor during the summer, was in pretty bad nick but iv been tipping away at it when i have the chance, giving it a fresh lick of paint soon and new crank bearings :).
    I plan on using it on the ballyhora trails and a few forestry roads local to me so mainly for cross country stuff.
    I want to upgrade the front forks as the ones on it have seen better days and also i plan on changing the wheels to something more robust. Havnt much of a budget really about 300 quid, just looking for recomendations or maybe someone has some spare stuff lying around they want to get rid of ?

Anyway thanks for reading and all the best

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

I think the items you mean are these no-name wheels and the RST CAPA 80mm fork.

Personally I never fancied the RST forks I've ridden (though I haven't tried the one on auction). I'm not sure it's the bargain it seems either as you can sometimes get done for the duty and VAT on these things. Small packages often get through but the larger items can get done. Not always but when it happens it can ruin an otherwise tasty deal and yes, I was that soldier.

Try this Rockshox Psylo U-Turn as an alternative perhaps. They are REALLY old but I rode them a few times on Ticknock when they were newish (a good while ago) and they were nice, they'd blow through their travel too fast for me with my weight at the time (I'd probably bottom them out just climbing on now) but if you're "big boned" you can get heftier springs put in (don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing). They'll probably go for more than a tenner but postage should be reasonable and you won't get done for tax. They are a good brand too and might even be worth repairing when thing go wrong. I use Fox now but the experts here seem to hate them (don't get full travel etc.) so I'll avoid recommending them.
    I am NOT one of the proper MTB guys here so this is not an opinion based on years of experience as an trail expert or professional bike mechanic! I'm sure they'll wade in later.

Personally I'd go for disc wheels though some people used to swear by those funny old ones that road bikes use, rim jobs I think they called them. Never liked them myself. There's no mention in the ad of the rim, spoke or hub brand and while many of the ones I've tried (Shimano, Hope) have been fine I believe that some are worse than useless. I'm suggesting that a lack of brand names might make you wonder as to the quality. You say you're looking for wheels that are more "robust". What makes you think theses ones will be robust? Even on a tight budget look for something that's either well known as being strong or at least has some good reviews. I know that decent disc wheels are pricy but, for me, they're worth it. If you must stick with the other brake style I believe that good rims are even more important.

I have gotten loads of good stuff on fleabay and was only done twice (a coffee machine and a car radio) so keep looking. Try the adverts on this board, if you can wait you might find something that suits although probably not a bargain as the lads tend to know what they're selling. If you really have the time you could try the UK forums like this. Some of the guys won't post to Ireland 'cos they're... well let's just say insular, most of the time they'll post here if you ask nicely and nice bits come up occasionally.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Thanks for the reply. Ya looking back at the wheels there pure poop. Iv seen a set on chain reaction that look fairly good and are not that badly priced even if I do get charged by customs. And the forks seem to be ok too and with the option of getting them rebuilt with stronger springs they seem ideal for me as a beginner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

if it were me and its just for Ballyhoura, I'd buy a nice rigid fork and go single speed. You drop a good bit of weight off the bike and its all you need up there. keep it simple.

Advertisement