Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power amp for restaurant??

• 15-10-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I have 6 x 8 ohm speakers (35watt rms max output 80watt)

I have no clue what type of power amp to use.

Basically i want my pc connected to power amp and then speakers coming from power amp.

Can people give some advice of what i should be getting?

My budget is 100euro and the room where speakers are going is not that big.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

If its a stereo amp i should be getting can i stick 3 speakers into each output? Or should i be getting some kind of mono amplifier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, firstly you will be hard found to get a good commercial power amplifier for 100 euro. Secondly three by 8ohm speakers in parallel will give you an impedance of 2.66ohms, most budget amps will only drive down to 4 ohms.

thanks for your reply tommy. So what would be best for me? How do i connect 6 X 8Ω speakers? My guess is that i need 4 separate outputs yes? Each with 4Ω so i can connect two speakers on three channels.

I can spend more if necessary so recommendations would be great. Maybe a link to exactly what i need.

thanks again,

matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Does each speaker cable come back to the location where the amp will live ? There are connection combinations that would work but levels would be different across the speakers.

A better approach would be a 100V line PA Amplifier and 100V transformers on each speaker. Getting this for anything less than about 300 quid would be nigh on impossible I think.

Cheapest amplifier with 100V I could find locally was this. These amps will be heavy because of the transformers so buying from abroad beware of postage costs. Also this amp is only 40Watts, might just about do for low level background music.

Each speaker will require a corresponding 100V transformer like this.

Ken

each speaker has two cables. That mixer/amp looks great but are you sure 40watt would be enough? Also with having a transformer for each line is there really not an easier solution?

Is there power amps that have 4 sets of speaker outputs (as in black and red) with each one 4 ohms? This would mean i could use three of those channels with two speakers on each one since combining two 8ohms makes 4 ohm?

Also would the audio be stereo or is there a switch on amps i can use to make mono. I dont really know about the whole stereo sound with these things, i just want even background music.

Thanks in advance:D

• Advertisement

would this wiring work out.

On one channell i have two 8ohms in parelell giving (8ohms)

On the second i have four 8 ohms speakers in a series- paralell wiring giving (8ohms)

Would there be anything wrong with this?

What would the disadvantages be having two speakers on one chanell and 4 on the other?

or maybe i can have the six speakers on that series wiring diagram on one channel that can hadle 12ohms and 500watts Is there a power amp i can get that would just have one channel?

bogwalrus wrote: »
    would this wiring work out.

On one channell i have two 8ohms in parelell giving (8ohms)

On the second i have four 8 ohms speakers in a series- paralell wiring giving (8ohms)

Would there be anything wrong with this?

What would the disadvantages be having two speakers on one chanell and 4 on the other?

Two 8's in Parallel gives you 4Ohm. On the second channel depending on how you series parallel you will end up with 8ohm giving a sound imbalance between the two channells.

I see in your other post your are saying a 500watt amp, why on earth would you need a 500watt single channel amp for background music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For a hundred quid perhaps a midi system on a shelf might be more suitable ? Seriously though, you'll no get much for that sum.

My suggestion above is probably the best you'll get but you will need to up that budget. The 100V speakers could be tapped at about 3 - 5 watts, maybe run 2 speakers from each trafo to bring the cost down a bit. You'll find that you won't approach the max output of the amp, it's background music you're looking for after all ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    For a hundred quid perhaps a midi system on a shelf might be more suitable ? Seriously though, you'll no get much for that sum.

My suggestion above is probably the best you'll get but you will need to up that budget. The 100V speakers could be tapped at about 3 - 5 watts, maybe run 2 speakers from each trafo to bring the cost down a bit. You'll find that you won't approach the max output of the amp, it's background music you're looking for after all ?

Ken

Definately the best way to go, get 6 transformers and tap them at 6watt each withh give you a total of 36watts therefor just about giving enough headroom on a 40watt amp, which should be ample for background.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,

Yeah just background music.

I thought i needed a 500watt amp cause my speakers are max 85 watt each.

I will be in maplin today and pick up some transformers and hopefully get my hands on that mixer amp.

Is it straight forward enough to connect transformers etc?

Thanks guys:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi bogwalrus,
    I think that I may know a cost effective solution for you to run all your speakers from an stereo amplifier that is designed to run 8 speakers.

Take a look at the Teac AG980 Amplifier,
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=2&sub=16&productid=855

It is £199.95 at Richer Sounds Belfast, they delivery to all Ireland, they are also first class for advice & service. You will find them here on boards.ie under the heading Biz –> talk to –> RicherSounds.ie
    I wish you the best of luck & success with your restaurant.
    All my best,
    Pepsie

that is quite simply Fantastic. Thanks very much. at the moment i have connected my Dennon 200w stereo amp which has a 4-16ohm range. I'm not driving it cause my speakers are 2.6 but to be honest it works fine at the level i have it set. I will definitely be getting my hands on the teac. Perfect:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

You are very welcome bogwalrus.
    I hope it all works out for you & I wish you every success with your restaurant. Good for you on starting a new business & we need a lot more self starters like you too.
    All my best, Pepsie

Advertisement