Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Tyres in Sligo

Options
  • 15-10-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Well if this winter is anything like the last two, thinking it might be well worth investing in some.

Anyone brought any yet? Any recomendations where to get some in Sligo or which ones to go for?

Trying to 'steer' away from the budget brands, and definalty not going for remolds. Would like ones for the steel rims so that I can but them back on future winters as well.

Had a look around a couple of places in South Donegal this morning, prices from €60-75 per corner for size 14's.

Cheers in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not likely to get much cheaper than that tbh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not likely to get much cheaper than that tbh.......

I did see cheeper, €45 per corner, after rewording my question on them several times, found out they were remolds.

Currently have all weather/multi season ones, wouldn't be confident with them if weather turned bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

irish-stew wrote: »
    Well if this winter is anything like the last two, thinking it might be well worth investing in some.

Anyone brought any yet? Any recomendations where to get some in Sligo or which ones to go for?

Trying to 'steer' away from the budget brands, and definalty not going for remolds. Would like ones for the steel rims so that I can but them back on future winters as well.

Had a look around a couple of places in South Donegal this morning, prices from €60-75 per corner for size 14's.

Cheers in advance guys

Tire Chains would be cheaper. Any Tire that costs above EUR60.00 is not worth buying because you are being screwed by whoever is trying to sell it to you.

Skopzz wrote: »
    Tire Chains would be cheaper. Any Tire that costs above EUR60.00 is not worth buying because you are being screwed by whoever is trying to sell it to you.

Tyre chains are only any good if there is actually snow. Plus are they actully legal here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

We got ours last year from the Polish garage outside Ballysadare last year. Cant remember the price now but was reasonable and included fitting. Great tyres no problems with them getting up the steep hills outside Ballymote. Perfect for using this year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    We got ours last year from the Polish garage outside Ballysadare last year.

Can you remember the name of that garage? Roads out my way become virtually impassable, I manage but it's been getting harder the last two winters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Skopzz wrote: »
    What an ill informed post.

I got mine from eiretyres.com and fitted them myself to 2 spare wheels I had. They are Nokians and you could really feel the difference in the rubber putting them on the wheels. The compound of the tyre was a lot softer than any tyre I have ever fitted before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Can you remember the name of that garage? Roads out my way become virtually impassable, I manage but it's been getting harder the last two winters.

West coast garage abbeytown,ballina road
    Ballisodare
    <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    West coast garage abbeytown,ballina road
    Ballisodare
    <SNIP>

Cheers for that.

Slidey wrote: »
    What an ill informed post.

I got mine from eiretyres.com and fitted them myself to 2 spare wheels I had. They are Nokians and you could really feel the difference in the rubber putting them on the wheels. The compound of the tyre was a lot softer than any tyre I have ever fitted before.

Can you remember the product code or which type of Nokians they were Slidney. Did the fitters charge much to fit them for you?

Seen Goodroads roads my self for €60. But wearly of the Chinise Tyre Tag my self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have access to a tyre machine so fitted them myself. I would imagine most places should fit them with you bringing away any tyres for 10 - 15 euro a wheel.

The tyres are not nearby, but I'll see if I can find the codes tomorrow. From looking at the site the prices have gone up a nice bit in the last 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Cheers in advance guys

I got 5 tyres (14's) in Ballymote, fitted and tracked for 125 euro, they are used tyres brought in from europe, If I didn't know they were seconds I would have sworn they were new. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

I did see cheeper, €45 per corner, after rewording my question on them several times, found out they were remolds.

Currently have all weather/multi season ones, wouldn't be confident with them if weather turned bad though.

Apparently the all season ones are pretty good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Cheers in advance guys
    Mc Gettricks outside collooney ,think he stocks winter tyres
    Only open evenings and weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I've been trying to decide weather to splash out on winter tyres or not. In the end I've gone for an all season tyre from Hankook which has the snowflake symbol and has got pretty good reviews. I'm getting mine from Regan tyres in Rathcormack. He has to order them in though. He did have Hankook winter tryes there on Saturday so might be worth a look if your still searching for some. They are priced at €95 a corner.
    I've no connection with these guys, just passing on the info :)

rhonin wrote: »
    I've been trying to decide weather to splash out on winter tyres or not. In the end I've gone for an all season tyre from Hankook which has the snowflake symbol and has got pretty good reviews. I'm getting mine from Regan tyres in Rathcormack. He has to order them in though. He did have Hankook winter tryes there on Saturday so might be worth a look if your still searching for some. They are priced at €95 a corner.
    I've no connection with these guys, just passing on the info :)

Is it the all season thats 95 euro or the winters ones 95?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Both.

rhonin wrote: »

Both.
    Seems good

Advertisement