Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel issues abroad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Exactly, Izzy, locks break all the time. It's just one of those things. Locks and such get used to much that they just fail, usually without warning. Same as your locks at home. Sometimes mechanical things break through use.

It's the hotels reaction to the issue that's usually remembered. In this case, it was reacted to poorly. The proper response would have been, as you said, to either offer a second room to sleep in, or in the case of being full, room in another hotel, at the hotels expense.

Guernica, sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending to you, that "Don't just run to Tripadvisor" was more of a response to the people advising you to do so, without getting a response from the hotel management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did the person who told you to "sleep in the bar" know it was going to be 6 hours before the lock Smith came or did he maybe think it would be sorted soon and you can "rest in the bar" for an hour or less, if so I would find that acceptable.
    If they knew it would take hours to sort out then the only acceptable action would be to get you a room in another hotel.
    Were you talking to a manager on duty the next morning or just reception staff? It could possibily be that management are completely unaware and would be delighted to rectify the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Where did the OP say the hotel was not at fault? .

"And I concede that it was just bad luck and hotel was not at fault for the lock breaking"

And at 2.30am / 3000am in the morning MOST continental hotels only have a night porter on and they dn;t have access to giving rooms out.

Still the OP does not say what actually happened to the lock.

With exception of giving refund for the night in question I still fail to see what on earth extra the hotl could have / should ahve done.

The lock broke
    It was not the fault of the hotel (as per OP comment)
    A locksmith was called immediately
    The OP was asked to wait in lounge
    Blankets were provided.
    Refreshments were offered.
    Hotel was full so no other rooms available
    3am in morning - not feasible to get room in another hotel

Please please please tell me what else the hotel could have done except for giving a refund for the night in question (as I said in my forst post!!!)?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

Senna wrote: »
    Did the person who told you to "sleep in the bar" know it was going to be 6 hours before the lock Smith came or did he maybe think it would be sorted soon and you can "rest in the bar" for an hour or less, if so I would find that acceptable. If they knew it would take hours to sort out then the only acceptable action would be to get you a room in another hotel.

Hi, we were waiting around for a while while he tried opening the door, then he said go sit in the bar for a while and then about 4am he came in with blankets and said we should sleep there. Maybe he didn't know exactly how long it would take but I think he knew it would be the next morning. And whether he knew or not the net result is that we had to sleep in the bar so would like some money back.

Senna wrote: »
    Were you talking to a manager on duty the next morning or just reception staff? It could possibily be that management are completely unaware and would be delighted to rectify the problem.

We were talking to reception staff, they provided me with the manager's name so I can send in a formal complaint so hopefully that will yield results. Maybe should have asked for manager at the time but we had to leave to go for our flight and the guy I was dealing with was very unresponsive. so decided to put in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

maxer68 wrote: »
    Please please please tell me what else the hotel could have done except for giving a refund for the night in question (as I said in my forst post!!!)?????

What Melendez said. This is ALL I WANT.
    maxer68 wrote: »
    Still the OP does not say what actually happened to the lock.

Um, yes I did , well I said that the lock broke for an UNEXPLAINED reason. Therefore I cannot tell you what happened to the lock as nobody told me.

"It was an old fashioned key lock, with a normal key. We put the key in the lock and it wouldn't turn. We went to reception for help, the guy on reception came up and he couldn't open it either, I think he tried another key too, possibly the spare key. He then said there was nothing he could do by himself and to go and sleep in the bar.

He came back in the morning and said the lock had been changed and that it was just an unexplained reason why the lock broke."

Advertisement