Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish - an cúrsa roghnach

• 15-10-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Is there anyone on here who does this as I have a number of questions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I have taught it in the past, but stopped because we have to have a whole school approach now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

thanks for reply. I am a bit disillusioned with the stories on the course. They did oisin in tir na nog when they were 4 in primary school so pointless reading it again. The chapter from humberlac is the single biggest waste of time I have ever encountered while caca milis is actually disgusting and not a bit entertaining. An spailpin fanach is just not a nice poem. I am sick of killing the language and would like to try new approach and do a few stories and poems that they might enjoy and actually relate to. Have you any suggestions? also, how does it work with copyright if you come up with stories and poems.,,if you photocopy them do you have to get author's permission? And how can examiners correct the answers if they have never read the story or poem the student is writing about?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I used to teach An Cearrbhach as the Béaloideas story, it was nice and different from the usual crap they do in primary school. I used Yu Ming for the gearrscannán, sliocht as Samhradh Samhradh for the sliocht as úrscéal and Ecstacy for the gearrscéal. I tried a few different sliocht as dírbheathaisnéis, but to be honest, none of them ever really 'worked' for me. All of these stories were in books that I had from the old course, back when they had to do prós roghnach, so I just photocopied from them, well within the 5% limit allowed. If you have any of those books around, there are plenty of other stories which might be more relevant to your students.

Poety-wise, you can get away with covering 3 poems, dán a scríobh bean, dán a scríobh fear and a dán sean-aimseartha (or something to that effect). That was a big plus for the cúrsa roghnach for me. I would read about 6-7 poems with them, for 'enjoyment' and let them pick which ones we would actually study.

Whatever you use must be published, and chances are the correctors are well up to date on the most common stories anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

mick kk wrote: »
    thanks for reply. I am a bit disillusioned with the stories on the course. They did oisin in tir na nog when they were 4 in primary school so pointless reading it again. The chapter from humberlac is the single biggest waste of time I have ever encountered while caca milis is actually disgusting and not a bit entertaining. An spailpin fanach is just not a nice poem. I am sick of killing the language and would like to try new approach and do a few stories and poems that they might enjoy and actually relate to. Have you any suggestions? also, how does it work with copyright if you come up with stories and poems.,,if you photocopy them do you have to get author's permission? And how can examiners correct the answers if they have never read the story or poem the student is writing about?
    Thanks

I hope that your views on the prose/poetry don't come across in class!
    They did Oisín i dTír na nóg in primary school= all the better, they will be familiar with it.
    Hurlamaboc is not the worst of the stories. I did a power point on each poem/story and did a handout with notes/keywords. I have a weakish ordinary level class and we got through them no bother. I made them interesting. Yes, they are not riveting reads but they never are on the prescribed course.
    Good luck getting 5 poems and 5 prose pieces that students can enjoy/relate to! :confused:
    All of the text books have notes, practice questions and exercises on the prescribed course. Are you going to make up all of your own notes/sample answers/exercises? That is a serious amount of work.Good luck with that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

thanks for your replies. Yes, i do the powerpoints as well and use images to get them to summarise the stories as well as comiclife. I used a few videoclips aswell.....grandfathers story from the film into the west for oisin, the field for an lasair choille, desperate housewives for humberlac etc.
    Its just, the kids themselves, while they know the story of oisin in tir na nog, there is no purpose in reading it again...its like watching a film you don;t really like that you have seen a thousand times....why would you want to..and the irish in the version on the course is pretty off-putting.
    The students themselves were absolutely furious when we finished an gnathrud..why was he shot? who shot him? I know its one chapter of a novel but again, like watching a film, you wouldn't just watch a random scene in the whole thing and then turn it off and say to yourself, that was great.

I don't know if I will put my own stories together or not. Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement