Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What motherboard will run this!?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

What motherboard will run this memory!? It's the 4GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800.

It runs at 1600mhz. I've bought and sent back 2-3 different motherboards to HWVS and to no avail can I find a AM3 motherboard which will run that memory.

crazy ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

kahf1_02 wrote: »
    I've bought and sent back 2-3 different motherboards

Er, would it not have been easier to just do this research before buying them?:confused:

Anyway, this and this seem to suggest that it should work with any AM3 board but needs to be manually configured in the BIOS first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are you sure it's not the memory that's bad? Remember that AMD CPUs have got the memory controller integrated and nearly all the chipsets are made by AMD too so there's little variation across all the boards in that aspect. Memory compatibility has been very good in AM3.

I'd test that memory in a working system before ordering any more boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭kahf1_02

I did do my research. And it seems 1600mhz won't run on AM3 boards. I think I'll just get new lower memory ... what do you think?

@Jehuty42 those links are for "tom's hardware" . Can anyone recommend a good AM3 board ? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

And it seems 1600mhz won't run on AM3 boards.

It does. It won't do it out of the box, you have to configure it in the BIOS.
    @Jehuty42 those links are for "tom's hardware" . Can anyone recommend a good AM3 board ? cheers.

Yes, I know they are. If you read thr links, they are posts on a discussion forum about how to get 1600mhz RAM working with AM3. The general consensus is that it does work, you just have to manually configure it in the BIOS.

Of course, the RAM itself could be faulty.

I've used 1600MHz RAM several times in boards which didn't officially support it. Different RAM and different boards. The RAM is rated to run up to 1600MHz, so it should run at 1333MHz if you don't overclock.

What happened when you used the RAM in the various boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ive got the exact same ram running perfectly @ 1600mhz in an MSI 770-G45 which is a dated chipset at this stage. it just needs to be configured in the BIOS which takes 10 seconds.

either the Ram is faulty or you don't know what you're doing, no offence. I'd assume its the ram and you can test it with a USB bootable version of memtest.

No offence taken. I quiet comfortable working with PC's I've built several PC's before.

The motherboard I had didn't have overclocking or any memory settings in fact. Thus it ran at a default speed of 1333mhz ... but that produced voltage surges.

Which led me to believe the motherboard was cheap and underpreforming. So any recomedations on a good AM3 BOARD?!

Budget and where are you buying?

40-70 euro. hardwareversand.de

This looks like about the best one apart from it only having two RAM slots. HWV seem to have cut back on their AM3 boards. I have a similar board with 1600MHz RAM.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50847

According to the manual, you can set RAM ratios, voltages and timings (page 24+).

• Advertisement
Advertisement