Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos: Broken Laptop: No receipt

Options
  • 15-10-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Well I guess the title says it all.
    Bought an Acer laptop in Argos, towards the end of last year, and last week it ceased working. Thought it may have been a dodgy lead or battery but used my friends laptop. Swapped the leads and batteries. Mine failed to start with his, but his successfully started with mine, eliminating that problem. Googled and found a power reset solution (take out battery and lead and press on for 30 sec) that didn't work. Decided to bring it back to Argos. I located the box but could not find the receipt. Recently moved house so I gave up hope of finding it. Paid cash so no credit card back up. Brought it to Argos, told them I lost the receipt but the customer support guy went through the various checks anyway. He tried to locate it on the database but as I didn't have the receipt he said he couldn't help me. For the record I was no way aggressive with the support guy as I know he can only do so much. Any advice? Just bring it to Tech shop? Contact Acer (who I hear are nighmarish to deal with)?
    Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You need proof of purchase. Otherwise you could have bought the laptop anywhere. In any case when you cant prove purchase your not going to have any luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

agree with the above ,all you can do is asking for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Without proof of purchase, you can't expect Argos to help. As pointed out, you could have bought the laptop anywhere else.

I think that at this stage, you have to contact Acer tech support. The laptop is still under a year old (hopefully) so they should be able to help you under the manufacturer's warranty.

It's absolutely crucial to keep receipts. Your consumer rights are much stronger than any warranty offered by a manufacturer, so keeping a receipt provides you with more backup.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

TheInquisitor, Melendez, crystallove and dudara, thanks for taking the time to post. I'll contact Acer and hopefully they'll sort me out. I wouldn't mind but I have a heap of other receipts for loads of older stuff. Learned my lesson, never paying with cash anymore, at least I'll have credit card back up.

erkifino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

contact the manufacturer and explain to them that you cannot find the receipt. I'm sure they will ask you for the laptops serial number and they can track where it was purchased from and any other info on it so you should be ok. they will probably send a ups van out to collect it for repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dudara wrote: »
    Without proof of purchase, you can't expect Argos to help. As pointed out, you could have bought the laptop anywhere else....

While that is true. some shops will print you out a replacement receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BostonB wrote: »
    While that is true. some shops will print you out a replacement receipt.

Would I be correct in saying though, if they can find the original receipt and you can prove it was you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dudara wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying though, if they can find the original receipt and you can prove it was you?

Usually they can look up the serial number of the product, or a credit card. of course paying cash negates the later. Some products the warranty is on the product ID, and manufacturing date not the buyer and when they bought it.

Still if you pay cash and leave no details, theres not much they can do, if there warranty isn't set up the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Acer will ask for the serial number , which they will then look up its date.if they see that its 'in date' they will repair for you.

Be aware that their system can show up some weird dates, usually manufacturing dates. they might also ask for a proof of purchase. no harm trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Just thought I'd drop in an update in case someday somebody finds themselves in the same situation.

Contacted Acer through a phone number on their website. I explained what happened. They requested a few details (SSNID, where and when I purchased it) Anyway, there was no hassle at all. I had to arrange a pick up with UPS (on Acer's account) and they're currently sorting it out. :D

Thanks for your input peoples!:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

If you paid with a card, surely there is a record somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Andy!! wrote: »
    If you paid with a card, surely there is a record somewhere?

erkifino wrote: »
    Paid cash so no credit card back up.

OP stated they paid in cash

Advertisement