Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjustable Stem's: Advice

• 15-10-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone offer advice on adjustable stems?- there are some availalbe on Wiggle.com . I have a new road bike with a Ritchey Pro 120mm - Im having back trouble so need to get as upright as possible for the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=adjustable+stem

How do I know which will fit my bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I don't think an adjustable stem has any place on a road bike,unless it's a Look ergo stem!
    There's lots of threads on here about bike fitting and back problems, maybe have a read of those, it may not actually be your stem that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Holyboy wrote: »
    I don't think an adjustable stem has any place on a road bike,
    Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Holyboy wrote: »
    I don't think an adjustable stem has any place on a road bike,unless it's a Look ergo stem!

I had one of those. It was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

have you turned your current stem upside down. road bike stes are usually +- 6 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Billy Greenbush

Yes I have flipped the stem already. I just booked a bike fit next week so I will see how that goes and take his advice before making any further adjustments or buying one a stem

As for adjustable stem's not belonging on road bikes I think that's just purist nonsense to be honest, if it helps me to still cycle while recovering from a back injury then it belongs on my road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

If does turn out that you need a raised stem then 3T do a 17 degree version as opposed to the normal 6 degree. Its only available for the newer oversized 31.something bars.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Those adjustable stems have an annoying habit of creaking, so if you do get one, assemble it with silicon grease to reduce that annoyance.
    These are a better option, imho:
    18251.jpg

Thanks guys - maybe a hybrid or MTB would have been a better buy with a dodgy back.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Thanks guys - maybe a hybrid or MTB would have been a better buy with a dodgy back.
    Perhaps a recumbent, even?

Lots of people with dodgy backs ride road bikes.

Whatever sort of bike you choose, once you start trying to ride it fast you're going to end up with a lot of force being transmitted from one side of your body to the other. I guess it has to go through your back one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Lots of various stem lengths, angles, and clamp sizes available in this Planet X/On-One model for reasonable prices, when and if you need one. 60mm -120mm and up to +/- 40 degrees too for oversized or standard clamp size.

I would go for something like this over an adjustable if you know what you need, simply because I had a bad experience with an adjustable before including flex and squeaks.

Lots of various stem lengths, angles, and clamp sizes available in this Planet X/On-One model for reasonable prices, when and if you need one. 60mm -120mm and up to +/- 40 degrees too for oversized or standard clamp size.

I would go for something like this over an adjustable if you know what you need, simply because I had a bad experience with an adjustable before including flex and squeaks.

They look good Ballyhoura- for the moment I need to be as upright as possible so I guess an 80mm at 35 dergrees ?

Thanks

Back comfort is not just a case of uprightness. Fore-aft balance is really important. The further back your arse is the more it counterbalances your torso, and the less static load is on your lower back.

OTOH, moving the saddle further back closes your hip angle, which may aggravate back issues caused by tight hamstrings unless you raise the bars to compensate. And your stem will need to be shorter, obviously.

An ergostem is handy because you can change both length and height, although I'm not sure they even exist any more in retail.

Lumen wrote: »
    Back comfort is not just a case of uprightness. Fore-aft balance is really important. The further back your arse is the more it counterbalances your torso, and the less static load is on your lower back.

OTOH, moving the saddle further back closes your hip angle, which may aggravate back issues caused by tight hamstrings unless you raise the bars to compensate. And your stem will need to be shorter, obviously.

An ergostem is handy because you can change both length and height, although I'm not sure they even exist any more in retail.

Thanks Lumen hopefully a professional bike fit will get me into a comfy position with or without a new stem, be interesting to see what he says.

A pal of mine who has been racing for years recently got one done and it eliminated his lower back pain for him

- I found ergo stems available on the internet in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    Back comfort is not just a case of uprightness. Fore-aft balance is really important.

I concur, I was a long time trying to get more upright and bringing the bars closer in an effort to improve comfort. I'm now way more spread out and aero (still not very aero) and much more comfortable now that my weight is distributed better.

Advertisement