Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Estates, demand for a book?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Firstly, apologies if I have placed this in the wrong area!

Secondly, I am just wondering do people think that there would be a demand for a book on ghost estates in Ireland? I'm not talking a very technical book talking about economic factors etc., I'm thinking more along the lines of a book with case studies of ghost estates around the country with some anecdotal stories of boom time Ireland and how the estates came to be with some good photography etc.

At the moment I am an out of work town planner with a penchant for ghost estates and a lot of free time!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

You'd have to leave half the book empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Maybe a photo book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I was thinking a photo book as well. Not sure I'd enjoy reading the ins and outs about builders and contracters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I think it's a good idea but it would be quite challenging to get it right. I'd definitely pick it off the shelf for a look anyway.

I was back in Ireland a few months ago and was given a little tour of some ghost, or half-ghost estates and I found the stories behind them fascinating, eg. Joe developer went bust when half of a site was complete and Jim contractor who hadn't been paid came back and took down the roofing.

I think it'd be difficult to fill a whole book though unless you have some great knowledge & stories of developers, contractors, banks & negotiations that went on. Also you might need to be careful you don't end up with gossip type stories.

This book was published about 5 years ago & is a collection of short accounts written by SME size entrepreneurs. It hasn't got much to do with ghost estates or the construction industry but I think it might have the same kind of local tone & feel you're looking for, might be worth a look.
    http://www.mercierpress.ie/That'll_Never_Work/92/

You might get some decent feedback from the Biz -> Business -> Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum. I find there is some good thinking in that forum.

Advertisement