Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving Jars?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hiya, can anyone tell me where I can find preserving jars in Dublin? Looking for small jars with 2 piece screw tops. I've got a ton of apples that are screaming to be made into jam/apple butter...help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Ikea do medium size kilner type jars with a screw top.

I have gotten smaller screw top jars in the cheap home please beside Marks and Spencers side entrance on henry st. - its the street leading from henry st to abbey street

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

I know the place and will give it a try. Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

hi, i bought 50 jars for 15e with heat seal lids from "alpack" in sandymount ind est.their online. just run the jars through dishwasher and while still hot fill them with hot jam or chutney, put lid on and the cooling down process creates a vacum that seals the jar. magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just collect and use old jam jars. Run them through the dishwasher and when you're ready to use them pop them in the oven for 20 mins at about 140 deg.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Looked at the alpack site..great value! So you don't have to process the jars in a water bath after filled? You've used these jars before? Sorry to disbelieve, Just never used that kind of preserving jar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Do Alpack not require a large minimum order though? Their site says "Customers please note we send all orders for glass jars out on pallets."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You can walk into Alpack and get whatever you want yourself in there.

I've bought beer bottles in there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bit of a hike from cork I'm afraid! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Bit of a hike from cork I'm afraid! ;)

Hi Padraig,

'homestore and more' do kilner jars. They have 500ml and 1l ones. The 500ml ones are approx €3.50 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

no processing needed,you know it works as when you open the jars(i've finished a few already) you can hear the gush of air rush in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i just collect old jars from jams and sauces and dishwash them and keep them hidden away in the spare room till needed and you can heat them up (again, in the dishwasher or submerged in a sink of hot water) and just put your sauces/jams in whist they're (the jars and the contents) still very hot and the little lids pop back in to seal them once they've cooled so you know they're still good if the lid re-pops once you open them again. :)

Advertisement