Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Analogue TV

• 15-10-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

What's this really going to do for those of us still dependent on midband bb? Is there an actual plan?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No there isn't. It is a plan to get €180m ( allegedly) and hand it straight to the IMF in cash for auctioning the spectrum off. :(

Apart from closing analogue telly they ALSO plan on shutting down GSM services in May 2013 covering around 98% of the population indoors and to replace this 98% 2G indoor coverage with c.70% coverage for 4g services by 2016.

Meanwhile they will continue to pretend that 3g works. :(

Start digging in fibre if you want a future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Hmmm. Didn't think so........who do you think will have an interest in buying the new capacity? And will they be interested in 'the final mile'?
    I'm one mile or so from the 01 area boundary (in 046) and haven't a hope of getting proper b/band anytime soon.

4G will work better than 3G but if you have no 3G signal and weak ( no indoor coverage) 2G signal right now in 2011 then prepare to have no mobile telephone at all by 2014.

You also have the best terrain in Ireland for fibre...ie no rocks and bogs only deep soil. Start digging it in so.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    4G will work better than 3G but if you have no 3G signal and weak ( no indoor coverage) 2G signal right now in 2011 then prepare to have no mobile telephone at all by 2014.

You also have the best terrain in Ireland for fibre...ie no rocks and bogs only deep soil. Start digging it in so.

My 3 dongle is on an upstairs outside window ledge connected to a wireless router. Actually ok for the moment apart from unpredictabilty, cap can be a killer though with a teenager in the house!

4 miles to my (Tara) exchange - would I have to dig that far??!!

As far as the old N3 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

both navan & dunshaughlin already have MAN fibre intrastructure, so you'd have to assume there's a cable going between them somewhere along the N3? (hopefully) :)

Any further news on a cunning plan from Mr. Rabbitte?

How much fibre did you install since you started this thead ??? :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How much fibre did you install since you started this thead ??? :(

I'm at the top of the road. Had to take a break for Bruce's European tour and the Olympics.

Advertisement