Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SU 2011-12: Who will leave a mark?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Who will be the movers and shakers?

Who will be in the frame for the 2012 elections?

Early days, but perhaps:

President - Lacey
    Ents - Darcy
    Education - Chris Wong
    Welfare - Regina Brady
    C&C - Aisling Sheerin

Serious contenders:

President - Brendan Lannoye / Martin Lawless
    Ents - Jamie Rath / Darragh Kinsella / Eoin Heffernan
    Welfare - Michael Gallagher
    C&C - Aidan Conroy
    Education - Aoife Nic Samhrain
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The Wong lad, deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

****ing love chris :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Nah, he's a ****

LOL JK friendly asian bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

oh y are they are changing them :O ...i grown rather fond of rachael and pat ha...

especially rachael ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

****ing love chris :)

Chris rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Jump aboard the oriental express.. Wong's the man

shut up aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

FIIIIGHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I heard chris once saved a baby who was choking. Nice guy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

WE LOVE CHRIS WONG!!!!

• Advertisement

See this is what irks me about the current set-up. Who the hell are any of these people? They are only known to a few friends and classmates.

Chris Wong is the man? What does he stand for? Let me guess: higher levels of student say in matters relating to the college. Wow.

If someone gets rid of the 150 euros extra I'm being charged every year (for nothing) they would get a vote from me. In fact, I might start a campaign myself to have it removed next year.

Have you ever talked to Chris though? He's lovely!

Have you ever talked to Chris though? He's lovely!

I don't doubt that for one second! I'm sure he's a great laugh and all that; my problem begins when he starts looking for a chunk of the money that I've paid in inflated registration fee's. And for what?

true true :/.. but sure run for it and try get rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Jamie Rath is such a big dick PLAYYYYA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If someone gets rid of the 150 euros extra I'm being charged every year (for nothing) they would get a vote from me. In fact, I might start a campaign myself to have it removed next year.

Do you see that gigantic new building with a cinema, swimming pool, gym, theatre etc? That is where your €150 goes. So don't say you didn't get anything with the money.
    The Student Centre Levy is €158.00 in 2011/12. This levy funds the infrastructural development of the Student Centre and is a component of all programme fees in UCD. Student agreement for this funding was approved in a referendum held in April 2006. This levy, as a component of programme fees, is not, therefore, a payment for services and is not discretionary.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/faq.html

Do you see that gigantic new building with a cinema, swimming pool, gym, theatre etc? That is where your €150 goes. So don't say you didn't get anything with the money.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/faq.html

How much is anyone going to use this, besides students living in the locale (generally students from well off parents) and students who live on campus up from the country (students who already receive massive subsidies to go to college)? I'm certainly not going to get 450euro worth of use out of it.

Ever hear of the term 'Spruce Goose'?

How much is anyone going to use this, besides students living in the locale (generally students from well off parents) and students who live on campus up from the country (students who already receive massive subsidies to go to college)? I'm certainly not going to get 450euro worth of use out of it.

Ever hear of the term 'Spruce Goose'?

Your point was that you are being charged €158 a year for nothing. One of the best facilities for students in the country does not sound like nothing to me. Given that students are in UCD every day, I think such a facility on campus will benefit a huge number of students, clubs, societies etc. I'm not exactly sure how you fail to see that it will benefit a massive number of students every day.

Your comment about students from "up the country" is a bit odd too.

• Advertisement

Your point was that you are being charged €158 a year for nothing. One of the best facilities for students in the country does not sound like nothing to me. Given that students are in UCD every day, I think such a facility on campus will benefit a huge number of students, clubs, societies etc. I'm not exactly sure how you fail to see that it will benefit a massive number of students every day.

Your comment about students from "up the country" is a bit odd too.

In a college awash with money (I refer you to the 'bonus' debacle), which rips students off on things like repeat exam fees, why am I being asked to cough up for such a facility? Where are the SU members campaigning for an end to college corruption and rip-off fees?

Lets be honest, many people may use it for something useful - the clubs and socs etc, but I would wager that more than half of the people who go through UCD will do very little more than step inside the place for a look. The fact that these people are being asked to subsidize another group based on a referendum held before they even entered into the college and in very different economic conditions is simply wrong.

In a college awash with money (I refer you to the 'bonus' debacle), which rips students off on things like repeat exam fees, why am I being asked to cough up for such a facility? Where are the SU members campaigning for an end to college corruption and rip-off fees?

Lets be honest, many people may use it for something useful - the clubs and socs etc, but I would wager that more than half of the people who go through UCD will do very little more than step inside the place for a look. The fact that these people are being asked to subsidize another group based on a referendum held before they even entered into the college and in very different economic conditions is simply wrong.

Your "awash with money" line shows how little you know about the finances in UCD or how much you know about the amount of money needed to fund the infrastructure projects around campus.

Whether people choose to ignore free facilities does not mean that they are not worthwhile. For example, many people ignore the library, but it is vital. Facilities such as those in the new student centre are also vital for a decent University. They are the norm elsewhere in the world. Your "wager" about how many will use it is far less important than the actual numbers that do use current facilities and those that will use the new building.

Your "awash with money" line shows how little you know about the finances in UCD or how much you know about the amount of money needed to fund the infrastructure projects around campus.

Whether people choose to ignore free facilities does not mean that they are not worthwhile. For example, many people ignore the library, but it is vital. Facilities such as those in the new student centre are also vital for a decent University. They are the norm elsewhere in the world. Your "wager" about how many will use it is far less important than the actual numbers that do use current facilities and those that will use the new building.

When college fees are being so poorly managed (I once again refer you to the bonus fiasco) is it any wonder that the financial situation of the college is going to suffer.

Also, comparing a cinema and swimming pool to the library? Hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I've heard that Irish officer Caoimhe Seoige is definitely planning on going for education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

students who live on campus up from the country (students who already receive massive subsidies to go to college)

They do?? How come no one ever told me!

Raphael wrote: »
    students who live on campus up from the country (students who already receive massive subsidies to go to college)

They do?? How come no one ever told me!

I apologise for my poor choice of words.

I apologise for my poor choice of words.
    It's ok, a lot of people confuse "get massive subsidies" and "have to pay rent/bills/food because they're not staying at home"

Raphael wrote: »
    It's ok, a lot of people confuse "get massive subsidies" and "have to pay rent/bills/food because they're not staying at home"

You can't do the second part without the first.

As a matter of interest, do grant students and other students who have their fees covered (BTEA students etc) actually pay the 158euro out of their own pocket or is it covered?

As a matter of interest, do grant students and other students who have their fees covered (BTEA students etc) actually pay the 158euro out of their own pocket or is it covered?

They pay it, so your point is null.
    When college fees are being so poorly managed (I once again refer you to the bonus fiasco) is it any wonder that the financial situation of the college is going to suffer.

Also, comparing a cinema and swimming pool to the library? Hah.

The bonus "fiasco" would not come anywhere near paying for the building work. I'm not sure you are aware how much it costs to build any of these buildings. How much do you think it costs to finance such infrastructure? Staff wages are not going to in any way account for the gap caused by the decreased funding available to universities.

This is not me defending high bonuses either, I'm just saying we should not be like Shylock and demand our pound of flesh. Could the budget be better spent? Yes. Is that entirely relevant? No.

I clearly didn't compare them on a like-for-like basis (it surely goes without saying that the library is more important than a gym in a university). However, the new student centre will house vital student services (health centre etc) and will also cater for extra-curricular activities which simply are vital to any University.

I'm sorry but your posts seem incredibly narrow minded and based entirely on your personal experiences (see your odd comments towards anybody from outside Dublin).

• Advertisement

Yeah you can - trust me on this one, I did it for 4 years. Location isn't factored into whether you get a grant, it's factored into the size of the grant you get if you're approved. So if you're ineligible, and outside Dublin then you have to spend a hell of a lot more money than someone who's got equal means, but is able to keep living at home.

Advertisement