Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

share data between laptop and xbox360 via broadband router?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just wondering if this is possible?

I have a wireless broadband router which my laptop connects to wirelessly. My xbox is physically connected to the same router for xbox live access. Is it possible to stream content from my laptop to the xbox with this setup?

Edit: The xbox does not have a wireless network adapter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Yep download and install tversity, thats the exact setup i have here and it works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I downloaded Tversity but I can't seem to get my xbox to communicate with my laptop:confused:

I went to network setting -> Wired Network -> Test PC connection, but it not detecting my laptop

Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

What router are you using?

It's a cisco epc2425. The one that comes with the UPC broadband. I can connect to xbox live fine, but it wont connect to my laptop. At 1st I thought this might be because you need a direct connection from laptop to xbox, and not via the broadband router, but GAAman says that setup works for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

doxy wrote: »
    It's a cisco epc2425. The one that comes with the UPC broadband. I can connect to xbox live fine, but it wont connect to my laptop. At 1st I thought this might be because you need a direct connection from laptop to xbox, and not via the broadband router, but GAAman says that setup works for him.

Mine ONLY works with a wired connection between everything with tversity, but it works perfectly as is. I've tried everything with wireless but couldn't get it working... Had some trouble with codecs at first, but its great now...

• Advertisement

Mine ONLY works with a wired connection between everything with tversity, but it works perfectly as is. I've tried everything with wireless but couldn't get it working... Had some trouble with codecs at first, but its great now...

Wow, I just tried wiring everything up and that works for me too! Weird. Anyone got any ideas why it will only work with my laptop physically wired to the router and not wirelessly?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow, I just tried wiring everything up and that works for me too! Weird. Anyone got any ideas why it will only work with my laptop physically wired to the router and not wirelessly?!

NAT maybe , thats usually the reason when it comes to xbox live/ media streaming etc. but end of the day in my experience if it was 2 pc's or laptops one wired one wireless it would not be an issue., but when it comes to an xbox .............. roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hmm thats strange, i have a different router but my laptop connects wirelessly to the router and the xbox is connected with a cable.

One thing that popped into my head is, if i have been streaming wirelessly and decide to connect the laptop to the router with the cable, i have to turn off the xbox and turn it back on again for it to be picked up could it be something similar there?

you may need to change the firewall setting on your router to low.

Thx Calex, GAAman and squaredude. I tried all those but no luck unfortunately. I tried port-forwarding, setting up a DMZ etc. I also tried disabling the router firewall, but no help.

It's strange that it will work when my laptop is connected to the router via ethernet cable but not when connected wirelessly. Would that indicate the problem lies with my wireless settings rather than NAT or port settings?

• Advertisement

It's strange that it will work when my laptop is connected to the router via ethernet cable but not when connected wirelessly. Would that indicate the problem lies with my wireless settings rather than NAT or port settings?
    Just did a bit of googling and seems your router isn't capable of doing it wirelessly.You'll have to keep the laptop connected to the router.I had that exact problem with the router I got from eircom did everything I could think of to try and get it up and running wirelessly.Turns out it was just a really crap router.Replaced it with a netgear router and everything has worked perfectly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Ah, this chestnut again. Basically the Cisco epc 2425 is a complete and utter POS unworthy of being called a router. It as a fatal flaw whereby it somehow does not bridge the wired and wireless LANs, despite using the same DHCP server and everything else for them. Loads of threads about it in the forum already, and I was a victim of it's crappiness before reaching this conclusion when seeing that 2 computers couldn't even ping each other unless they were either both wired, or both connected via wifi.

Ultimately if you want two devices on your network to see each other, they must both be connected by the same means. Either both wired, or both wireless.

Thanks for that guys, can I buy a replacement router that will work with UPC and do the bridging job ok? Or maybe it might be cheaper to get the wireless network adapter dongle for the xbox if the router will work with 2 wireless connections?

cython wrote: »
    Ultimately if you want two devices on your network to see each other, they must both be connected by the same means. Either both wired, or both wireless.

Confirmed. I got a wireless adapter for my xbox and now everything works fine.

Advertisement