Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sheep lu v cow

• 15-10-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi there
    just getting it hard to get a good answer to this question i am wondering how many sheep are equal to a cow as in livestock units as well as that what "LU" is a lamb......and finally any advice on stocking rates of 20 acres of reseeded ground heavy enough ground but good drainage in place (ewes wont be housed apart from lambing ) but hay will be fed over winter and some ground held for when they lamb

opinions greatly appreciated !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

roosky wrote: »
    hi there
    just getting it hard to get a good answer to this question i am wondering how many sheep are equal to a cow as in livestock units as well as that what "LU" is a lamb......and finally any advice on stocking rates of 20 acres of reseeded ground heavy enough ground but good drainage in place (ewes wont be housed apart from lambing ) but hay will be fed over winter and some ground held for when they lamb

opinions greatly appreciated !!!

i think one cow is equal to six ewes

20 acres could hold 80 - 100 ewes at best id say if your not housing them. but u would need to have paddocks and spread fertilizer fairly regular id say.

sure i suppose it all depends what part of the country u are farming in etc.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

ya im north midlands so ground is middling heavy , the groung is split into 7/8 fields so prity much paddocked !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

ya im north midlands so ground is middling heavy , the groung is split into 7/8 fields so prity much paddocked !!!

sure i suppose best thing to do is start with 60 and increase stocking rates as growth allows trial and error to suit ur farm.

ya id say 8 paddocks would be idea 2 paddocks a week a four week rotation would be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

ya sound ideal but with with the ground split into 3 blocks rotation isnt just simple but may have to be done had 30 ewes last yr and 3 cows on the ground and ended up rearing 3 calves 50 lambs and making 820 sq bales of hay so could do with more sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

ya sound ideal but with with the ground split into 3 blocks rotation isnt just simple but may have to be done had 30 ewes last yr and 3 cows on the ground and ended up rearing 3 calves 50 lambs and making 820 sq bales of hay so could do with more sheep
    My stocking rate is 5 ewes to the acre,50kg CAN in march and again in sept, housed mid jan, march lambing, on grass otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When in ag college the A husbandry lecturer tried to convince us that 1 cow (1 LU) = 10 ewes and that you could graze 10 ewes to the acre. I wonder how many would the neighbours have?

I reckon max of 80 ewes on 20 acres, bit more if they were housed and some hay bought in. Poly tunnels seem to work fairly well, feed them round the outside of it, put them out to grass as they lamb.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

one ewe = .15livestock unit v cow= 1 livestock unit. Reseeded ground, managed intensively 6ewes/acre allowing for 1.75lambs/ewe. i'm a long time out of sheep and the biggest problem then was margin was too small, from the size of your enterprise i think i'd stock at a lower rate 5ewes/acre and use less inputs but would need to be housed for 100 days approx, if you as said don't want to house about 3.7-4.2ewes/acre will be the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

6.6 ewes = 1 cow

80 ewes would be a lot on 20 acres. you would be better with 60 and little or no meal and alot less fertiliser. if you increased to 80-100 you wouldn't gain anything because inputs are so costly at the moment. a bag of ewe nuts costs nearly €10 at the moment. with 60 you would have good grass supply in the summer and good make some fodder and you should be able to keep them out in the winter provided you get rid of all your lambs by the end of september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

ewes equate to 0.2 of a LU, hoggets 0.15 lambs as far a s i know arent included until post weaning, but after weaning the ewes can be tightened up so the differance in demand kinda equals out,
    its a difficult one to work out, national average is around 3 ewes per ha - 5 getting to the limit - can work if there is cattle though - personally i wouldnt be leaving them out all winter - no grass in spring!!!!
    outwintering in a mixed syatem 4 per ac at best and you would need a certain ammount of grass built up

Advertisement