Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo.

• 15-10-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

What's everyone's opinion on campagnolo? I'm thinking of switching over from 105 5600 with a triple to campag something or other with preferably a standard double (although compact seems to be easier to find and cheaper).

I'm pretty sure I can't afford record or super record and I'm pretty sure I don't need anything quite that fancy so I'm looking at chorus. Thing is I've been thinking about maintenance and running costs and now it seems like 11 speed isn't worth the hassle although I still want something fancy, light-weight, carbon-ey, not sram, preferably campag.
    As it stands now I'm looking at a chorus mechs and crankset with either centaur shifters or old 10 speed chorus or record shifters if I can find them on ebay. Can anyone foresee any problems running a nominally 11 speed derailleur with 10 speed shifters?
    Also, are centaur shifters a major drop in quality from the likes of chorus? If so, does anyone know where I can get some nicer older 10 speed campag?
    Another option might be to buy the 11 speed shifters and fit 10 speed internals but I don't know if this is possible and if it is possible I don't know how well it would work? Anyone got any opinion on that?
    Or should I just give in and go with shimano tourney with grip****ers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would go for the cheapest 11sp group and stick the savings in your cassette budget.

Cassettes should last a long time. If you look after your drivetrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

ckeego is selling a chorus group in adverts that might be of interest.

I'm using a mix of 10 speed centaur/record and it's amazing compared to 105 triple which was crap.

I don't think there is any huge improvement in shifting/braking performance between Centaur/Chorus/Record groups. You're paying for weight savings and bling.

On the training bike, Veloce is very good too except the alu brake levers aren't as stiff as carbon and you get cheaper all in one brake pad/shoes. I replaced these with metal shoes and kool stop cartridges fairly cheaply.

If going 11 speed I think Athena is too heavy for the price so I'd go for Chorus but then you're stuck buying pricey cassettes.

Super record is a step ahead with a different lever shape and ceramic (if you believe in them) bearings.

I wouldn't waste extra money on expensive cassettes unless you're concerned about weight and then get the titanium sprockets. There are much more cost effective ways to save weight on your bike.

The only thing with campag is the crank bearings need plenty of loving. I regrease every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

If it were me I would look at Dia compe, no one uses that so it must be cool:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Dont be afraid to mix and match the components in Campy.
    The 2010 Ultrashift levers at the Veloce end are a great lever and will work with with a chorus/record RD. I ran it that system and had no issues. Just make sure you use Campy cables for the best results in shifting. I ran Jagwire cables at the start and shifting was slow. Changed to Campy and there was a notable difference.
    WRT to changing the internals - yes it can be done but is it worth the cost!?!
    Running an 11sp rd with 10sp shifters can be done be the setting on the rd is ultra sensitive. I know a guy on ww did it and had to make an adjustment on the bolt clamp by changing the waher that holds the cable in place or something like that.
    As for the jump between Centaur -> Chorus -> Record . A small jump in quality. A big jump in price with Record really just having some lighter weight ti bolts and some extra carbon etc.
    Mainteanace. with the exception of crank bearings as pointed out above - just set up and forget about them. Just keep the stuff clean (which you will anyway as its too nice to leave durrty)
    Levers are handy enough to come buy. Head over to the forums at Bike Radar and there is always a few hanging around. Check the wanted sections as they are a better hunting ground although RD's seem hard enough to come by.
    Brakes wise: with the pre 2010/11 skeleton brakes. The only difference between Veloce and Record is the addition of Ti bolts on Record as far as I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Ideally if you could find a 2010 Centaur Carbon group set, you'd be on the pigs back. Its basically a 10s Chorus with all the new levers and actual Record shifter internals. NOTE This is the pre Powershift boll!x !!

Your next best option, but an 11s, is to find a pre powershift Athena carbon groupset, which again is nigh on being a full Chorus.

Here is a link to exactly that :

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/Groupsets/Campagnolo-Athena-11s-Carbon-groupset.html

If you want it, move on it fast, these guys sell stuff very quickly. €599 for a proper full on carbon Ultra torque 11s Campag is a steal !

I was actually saving this for my winter bike project, but Canyon were out of my frame size, so no need of it now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Murph100 wrote: »

Your next best option, but an 11s, is to find a pre powershift Athena carbon groupset, which again is nigh on being a full Chorus.

Here is a link to exactly that :

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/Groupsets/Campagnolo-Athena-11s-Carbon-groupset.html

If you want it, move on it fast, these guys sell stuff very quickly. €599 for a proper full on carbon Ultra torque 11s Campag is a steal
    Agreed 600 nearly defunct euro dollars is a cracking price for that

Advertisement