Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

autumn calving

• 15-10-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭

this is my first year to try autumn calving
    just wondering what is the best concentrate
    to feed a cow that is rearing a calf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We find it hard to beat grass. We would build up a nice bit of grass for the few Autumn calvers, calve them in bare paddocks, and run them to a fresh bit of grass a few days post calving. We have a few on aftergrass at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

agree with bizzum , just make sure you have them covered for tetany , last night was exceptionally cold around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have to agree with Bizzum too. When the grass runs out, then good silage is the next best thing. Feeding concentrates to cows is a big no no on our farm (either before or after calving). If you have to feed concentrates to a cow to get her to have milk then would it not be more cost effective to have her calving in spring and going straight out to grass?? IMO Autumn calving becomes expensive if you have to feed concentrate and profit is small enough without adding a further expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

badshot wrote: »
    this is my first year to try autumn calving
    just wondering what is the best concentrate
    to feed a cow that is rearing a calf

I suppose by right if you have tested your silage it will give you an indication of how much meal is needed if any at all, try to feed your best silage that is usually early first cut, i'd suggest as last resort if average silage 16% dairy nut/blend 1-2kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Some of my cows calved in late July/early August. Are they Autumn Calvers or late Spring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

More like late summer early autumn:D They be fine weanlings next oct though:P

Advertisement