Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Rumours

Options
  • 15-10-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Heard a few good ones that I want confirmed or denied.
    • If you go up to the third floor in the james joyce library you can get pillows for overnight studying..
    • If you swim out to the middle of the lake and touch all the fountains before getting caught by security Hugh Brady will pay the cost of your injections AND give you €50..
    • The internal design of the Ag Science building was based on a 1970's farmhouse kitchen..
    • The steps around the Arts Block serve as an anti riot measure..
    • Librocop can and has been seen to kill a man with his eyes..
    • They have the flattest field in Ireland out the back of the Ag Science building for training the lads to plough..
    • The ghost of John Henry Newman haunts the corridors of the basement of the arts block..
    Any of these true? Any other ones I haven't heard yet? Pot your rumours here!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

I heard a rumour your all ponces down there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

*you're

emm.. the anti riot thing is correct i know that for sure :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

*you're

Thanks for that, il buy you a nice leather bag and a scarf in return

leather bag and scarf? I'm grand thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I heard theres an old man that stopped an arcade machine from being raped

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, none of those are true!

I've heard the riot argument before (as justification of the steps up to the arts building, the location of the lake and the concrete shutters over the windows of the library), but the design for UCD actually predates the Student Riots of the 70s. The tunnels under the campus (which are locked up), are just used for electricity wires and pipes etc. - notice how there's no poles and wires above ground in UCD.

John Henry Newman doesn't haunt the basement of the Arts building, but Dramsoc do - it depends on which you find worse :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I heard theres an old man that stopped an arcade machine from being raped

That old man is a scumbag, he litters like it is cool to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

No it is a BS rumour with no evidence supporting it. Here is what I had to say the last time it was mentioned!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69790588&postcount=30

oh right.. my peer mentor was convinced that thats what they were for!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not a rumour that Richview was a Masonic School, years ago. The Freemasons funded the building of Memorial Hall too, the Square & Compasses are on the wall next to the door. Cardinal Newman would not approve. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

bnt wrote: »
    It's not a rumour that Richview was a Masonic School, years ago. The Freemasons funded the building of Memorial Hall too, the Square & Compasses are on the wall next to the door. Cardinal Newman would not approve. :p

You should lift up the mat just inside the front door ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The lake is also an anti-riot measure.

Also, LibroCop beat a man to death with a 10th edition Britannica Encyclopaedia for having his ipod on too loud. All charges were dropped when it became apparent that the individual was listening to lady gaga.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    The lake is also an anti-riot measure.

No it is not.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69790588&postcount=30

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Everyone knows what a Golden Week is, yeah? Full attendance to all lectures/tutorials/seminars/labs, etc..

Similarly, a Platinum Week is when you achieve that, AND get locked every night. Properly langers like.

Well, rumour has it, if you manage this feat, Hugh Brady appears at your last lecture of the week and presents you with one of those massive Wrestler-style belts, calling out loudly "PLATINUM WEEK".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Everyone knows what a Golden Week is, yeah? Full attendance to all lectures/tutorials/seminars/labs, etc..

Similarly, a Platinum Week is when you achieve that, AND get locked every night. Properly langers like.

Well, rumour has it, if you manage this feat, Hugh Brady appears at your last lecture of the week and presents you with one of those massive Wrestler-style belts, calling out loudly "PLATINUM WEEK".

You were going fine up until you mentioned Hugh Brady, we all know he doesn't exist. Honestly, there's legends and then there is just being silly :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I reckon Hugh Brady does exist. But he's a lizard, like David Cameron.

THAT'S the part of my post you want to disprove??

[Jackass] wrote: »
    THAT'S the part of my post you want to disprove??

Surely it goes without saying that there is no need to disprove that? As in a 4 year old in Junior Infants would realise you were joking.

Whereas the lake as an anti-riot measure is actually something that many believe.

I'd say you're some craic on the beer....

Oh no, Jackass doesn't want to drink with me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The sexual tension that has developed in this thread makes me queasy.

The sexual tension that has developed in this thread makes me queasy.

It was all the talk of Hugh Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Tap that, all o' that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I heard rumour of a secret lake on UCD campus!

Locker10a wrote: »
    I heard rumour of a secret lake on UCD campus!

Now that is true! I'll let you discover it yourself. It is the peaceful oasis in the desert of chaos that is UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

If you walk across the stones between Newman and Tierney you fail your first year exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I reckon Hugh Brady does exist. But he's a lizard, like David Cameron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctIpUmJjkAs

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Surely it goes without saying that there is no need to disprove that? As in a 4 year old in Junior Infants would realise you were joking.

Whereas the lake as an anti-riot measure is actually something that many believe.

Personally I thought the whole of the post was meant to be ironic. Handbags, ladies!

Personally I thought the whole of the post was meant to be ironic. Handbags, ladies!

I did say that I only mentioned the lake as many believe it to be an anti-riot measure. So given the lack of an obvious joke in that part of his post (the internet is not the best place for irony), it could have been serious.

My handbag only came out a wee bit and it was in retaliation! I am just doing my best Mythbusters act here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

A reliable source informs me that underneath the UCD lake (THE lake, not the secret lake..), there is a huge nuclear missile silo complex.
    The fountain folds itself out, as does the floor of the lake, draining the water past a metal grating, which themselves are then drawn in to the side. The warhead is then exposed, and all that needs to be done is the subterranean platform raised.

Advertisement