Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 History

Options
  • 16-10-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭

Had to use the N59 between Galway and Recess a lot recently for work and I've noticed there are an awful lot of places where its been realigned with the old road remaining either in part or in full alongside/nearby (there's also areas where I may have confused the rail trackbed for the old road, but the rail trackbed wasn't tarmacced)

Its clear that before some of the realignments there were single track sections, particularly in some cases where the current road is in a cutting and the old road goes around an obstruction.

Anyone any idea when this was done? They look too high quality to be older than the 1960s, but surely there wasn't a single track T road? (it having been the T71).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

MYOB wrote: »
    Had to use the N59 between Galway and Recess a lot recently for work and I've noticed there are an awful lot of places where its been realigned with the old road remaining either in part or in full alongside/nearby (there's also areas where I may have confused the rail trackbed for the old road, but the rail trackbed wasn't tarmacced)

Its clear that before some of the realignments there were single track sections, particularly in some cases where the current road is in a cutting and the old road goes around an obstruction.

Anyone any idea when this was done? They look too high quality to be older than the 1960s, but surely there wasn't a single track T road? (it having been the T71).

It reminds me of the R132 in Meath where there are many sections of old alignment along the way - some of them appear to have been pretty wide in cross section - I think there are even some cases where the current road may have been the third alignment - apart from the tie-in with the Balbriggan Bypass section of the M1 and some minor realignment in connection with a shopping centre South of Drogheda, the road is pretty much as was for as long as I can remember (30 years) - however, I can't help you out with the N59.

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mainly in the 1950s and 1960s

Try this trick, click

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,516851,737274,5,8

Hit the numbers 1 and 7 on the keyboard to toggle between c.1905-1908 and modern day.

Advertisement