Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a gas fire to open fire, who?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone who can convert a gas fire to an open fire or stove?

They need to be Rgii to seal the gas point, or at least have someone who is to come in and do that part of the job. I dont want any cowboys who could kill us all in our sleep with carbon monoxide cos of a shoddy job! :eek:

I dont even know where to start looking for someone who would do this type of work, should it be a gas installer, or a builder, or what?

Any help would be much appreciated as the winter will be here soon and i cant spend another winter with a crap gas fire that wouldnt heat your toes, but huge gas bills!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Id go with a gas installer. Not something you'd want to mess with really. After that, a builder would do the stove part. Not a big job at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Cheers mate, knew you would come back with something. ;)

Did a bit of research myself and found out much the same, gas installer should be able to cap the gas points for less than €100, then its just to talk nice to one of the DIY expert brother in laws to fit a grate etc(as long as the chimney/fireback are suitable, which i think they are)

Thanks again for the reply.

Now roll on a cracklin' log fire this winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yea the fireback wil be the only problem i can see for an open fire. If the one there was good enough for gas it should be fine for a stove. Is the chimney a floo? If so and you go with a stove its just a simple pipe from the stove with a connection to the floo. Your bro in law wil know anyways id say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

We'll only go for a stove if its the only option, cos its a rented house so we want to do it as cheap as possible for ourselves. LL is grand about us changing it, not coming out of his pocket, but if we can get away with just having a grate etc then thats what we'll go for. Not as heat efficient as a stove, but definitely better than the yoke thats there at the moment. At the moment id be as well off to turn on all the gas burners on the cooker and stand over it to warm meself, it would do the same job! Same heat and same waste, literally burning money!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I dont want any cowboys who could kill us all in our sleep with carbon monoxide cos of a shoddy job! :eek:

Just FYI - you can also get CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning from a solid fuel fire/stove... People think it's just from gas, so they don't consider the possibility even. I got CO poisoning last year from a solid fuel stove that was poorly ventilated. I was lucky I wasn't asleep at the time or I wouldn't still be here. :(

Ps I know this is off the topic, but it's important for people to be aware - all public campaigns are centred on gas-related leaks. Buy a CO alarm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cherrycola wrote: »
    We'll only go for a stove if its the only option, cos its a rented house so we want to do it as cheap as possible for ourselves. LL is grand about us changing it, not coming out of his pocket, but if we can get away with just having a grate etc then thats what we'll go for. Not as heat efficient as a stove, but definitely better than the yoke thats there at the moment. At the moment id be as well off to turn on all the gas burners on the cooker and stand over it to warm meself, it would do the same job! Same heat and same waste, literally burning money!

I would consider the heat loss to be 80/20 versus 20/80 with a stove versus an open fire. For the sake of 3-400 euro, you'd have a stove in there, be toasty as hell, waste FAR less fuel being that toasty and perhaps the LL would be much more agreeable when you're leaving. Sound that he's letting you change that actually ! ps I'm no expert, and I'm sure you're not doing it from the description here, but a back-boiler on an open fire is the worst creation under God's starry sky.

pps I bought a kerosene heater last year, an Inverter 5006, that heats up to 600 sq ft no problem and has all the electrical bells and whistles you could want such as CO2 alarms, auto shut off if knocked etc etc. In an estate of 150 houses last year, I was the only one with running water; and my LL was supposed to have the kippiest house! The downside to a kero burner is its not vented. So its 1. putting slight moisture into the air and 2. slight pollutants. But hey, so will your open fire. In fact, as pointed out, the solid fuel scenario is often MORE dangerous for CO2.

Good luck with it though. Good to see someone with the thinking cap on AND taking action on their bills & comfort. To many 'frogs sitting in boiling kettles' in Ireland, hoping things will improve but doing nothing, not even using the grey matter.

Advertisement