Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been shafted by boss

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Howdee

Im working in my job just under a year, and since i started my boss handed his reigns over to his PA as manager as he is over the whole division and wanted a lesser role im guessing...

Anyway to cut a story short, since she has taken over i feel shes out to make her name and im been used as bait..

I wouldnt be the best time-keeper BUT everyone compliments my good work etc

I've been pulled in twice for lateness both over "Falsifying documents" basically because i was rostered for say 9am and wasnt in til 9:10 etc

So was on my last warning over this and after my last warning i was put on the late shift instead of early for 3 weeks which was unfair in my opinion!!

Anyway i went on 2 weeks hols come back to normal shifts etc then one morning i woke up 2 hours late and rang in sick, was told by original gaffer to get a sick note "as a get out of jail" kinda thing i was like ehh ok??

So next i hear im told to come see my manager as she wanted an "investigation meeting" so i was like ok, gave her the doc cert etc

Then she proceeds to say ye know you didnt follow company policy etc calling in 2 hours late is no good etc and using my past record against me, so now im on 3 months of late shift pattern...

Surely there taking the mickey with me???

Any help advice welcome :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

If weren't late for work all the time you might not have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why the inverted commas around falsifying documents?

Did you change a document to say you were in at 9am when you were actually in at 9.10?

What is the company process in relation to calling in sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

IMHO. Your taking the mickey with them.
    My advice is simple, be on time.
    Doesn't matter how good a worker you are, you are no good if your at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Easy fix. Be there 10 minutes early instead.

I dont see a work problem here. I see someone who is not happy about being pulled up on timekeeping issues.

You are not being shafted. Its obviously not a flexible workplace, so be on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

in business you must be on time could you not have got up earlier after your first warning looks like you treated it as a bit of a joke
    i am always on time or early and would always expect others to do the same
    would you like to be left outside standing in the rain by your boss if they were to be late every morning ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Appears to me she's doing her job and you're not. Being on time is not something that should be hard to do nor something you should be surprised to be pulled up on if you're late. Does not matter if "people say I do a good job" if you can't even be in on time.

I'd make sure to come early, not pull any sickies after a night out and keep my socks up because you're very close to getting fired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If the shafting goes away by you coming in on time then you have your answer.

Your latest was that you woke up two hours late and then ring in sick. If you were the boss what would you think of that employee? Unless you're the best worker ever you can be replaced by someone who also does a good job and come in when he's meant to.

Your boss may be using his PA to avoid confrontation. He can appear nice while getting her to do his dirty work. If it was all her he could tell her to leave you alone. More likely he wants staff he can rely on.

What's that bit about after your last warning you were put on the late shift. You find that unfair? After a last warning the next step is normally to be fired. So after your last warning you overslept and rang in sick two hours late. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't think it's "doing her job" to give out for calling in 2 hours late for being sick and with a cert for it. If she has no reason to think the OP was pulling a sickie/slept in or whatever, it's unreasonable to expect sick people to make phonecalls early in the morning when it can be more than tough enough to drag yourself in to the doctor.

It's fair to say the OP was asking for this but I don't see what justification the management involved have for changing to the late shift for 3 months. Even if he got what he deserved I don't see how "company policy" can demand someone call in sick before an AM deadline while they have enough to be worrying about. I.e. getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Consistantly being late will get up any employers nose. Seems like you had an easy ride till now... you sound unreliable. Theres alot of people out there who get compliments on their work but also are on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Howdee

Im working in my job just under a year, and since i started my boss handed his reigns over to his PA as manager as he is over the whole division and wanted a lesser role im guessing...

Anyway to cut a story short, since she has taken over i feel shes out to make her name and im been used as bait..

I wouldnt be the best time-keeper BUT everyone compliments my good work etc

I've been pulled in twice for lateness both over "Falsifying documents" basically because i was rostered for say 9am and wasnt in til 9:10 etc

So was on my last warning over this and after my last warning i was put on the late shift instead of early for 3 weeks which was unfair in my opinion!!

Anyway i went on 2 weeks hols come back to normal shifts etc then one morning i woke up 2 hours late and rang in sick, was told by original gaffer to get a sick note "as a get out of jail" kinda thing i was like ehh ok??

So next i hear im told to come see my manager as she wanted an "investigation meeting" so i was like ok, gave her the doc cert etc

Then she proceeds to say ye know you didnt follow company policy etc calling in 2 hours late is no good etc and using my past record against me, so now im on 3 months of late shift pattern...

Any help advice welcome :pac:

Advice: Change Thread title to a more appropriate one such as "I'm looking for sympathy"

Ok so maybe this PA is a bit of a meanie but come on...who is being shafted here? It is not you. You are extremely lucky to still be in a job, believe me.

I have been you (exact same situation) a few years back so i can somewhat sympathize with you but you need to straighten up. Only one person can fix this situation, and that is you.

Try to put yourself in the Managers shoes for a second. If you ever become a manager and have to deal with people like you describe above (you), you will appreciate how frustrating it is with people being late, pulling sickies, taking the piss etc. The hardest part for any manager is that it undermines his/her authority in front of the rest of the team. If you are being let away with it, other people might think they can too and the situation can spiral out of control fairly quickly.

Cut out pulling sickies - it is not on. See what you can do to make sure that you get up in the morning every day and come in 10-15 mins EARLY to work. It is not that hard, you should be able to do it.

Do something about this now, or you'll be out of a job very soon. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

standard to call in sick early so they can make arrangements
    not decide to not bother your backside getting up and ringing two hours late "sick"
    for all they knew you were out drinking and just slept in with a hangover

stop taking the piss with your hours ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I think they could easily pull you up on taking sick leave immediately after holidays, most companies would have a policy against this

bluewolf wrote: »
    standard to call in sick early so they can make arrangements
    not decide to not bother your backside getting up and ringing two hours late "sick"
    for all they knew you were out drinking and just slept in with a hangover

stop taking the piss with your hours ffs
    And what if you're too sick to do that? Come on it's not like it should be prioritised over visiting the doctor asap. This OP gets no sympathy from me but I don't think the boss was correct in criticising this. A medical cert was presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And what if you're too sick to do that? Come on it's not like it should be prioritised over visiting the doctor asap. This OP gets no sympathy from me but I don't think the boss was correct in criticising this. A medical cert was presented.

too sick to pick up the phone or send an email?
    yeah you should do it before visiting the doctor
    especially if you're only going because you were warned you should get a "get out of jail free card"

Dude the op only went to the dr because he was given the heads up by his colleague.

Seriously, please do not waste your time and energy defending the op's behaviours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Other way around, it is you Sir taking the mickey ;)

Managers don't want stress and you are making them nervous, you are unreliable.
    No point going on about your good work if you are not there to do it

The thread title says a lot about your attitude :D

They're about ready to let you go OP but all is not lost.
    Just sort yourself out, do well and in time this will be forgotton

amdublin wrote: »
    Dude the op only went to the dr because he was given the heads up by his colleague.

Seriously, please do not waste your time and energy defending the op's behaviours.
    I was not defending his behaviours. I clearly said I have no sympathy for the op. I'm pointing out that the boss is wrong to demand he called in earlier to say he was sick.

The OP could have even fraudulently written the med cert himself and if the boss saw no reason to see it was fake, then the boss shouldn't have reprimanded him for not notifying earlier. That point has nothing to do with whether the OP is right or not or whether he deserves it.

In answering the original question, while I think he deserves it I do also think they are now taking the mickey with using phoning in sick as a reason to give tougher work.

I was not defending his behaviours. I clearly said I have no sympathy for the op. I'm pointing out that the boss is wrong to demand he called in earlier to say he was sick.

The OP could have even fraudulently written the med cert himself and if the boss saw no reason to see it was fake, then the boss shouldn't have reprimanded him for not notifying earlier. That point has nothing to do with whether the OP is right or not or whether he deserves it.

In answering the original question, while I think he deserves it I do also think they are now taking the mickey with using phoning in sick as a reason to give tougher work.

In most work places there are standards/processes in place about what time you must call in by. The op obviously did not adhere to them. The manager IS entitled to pull him up on this.

Throw in his previous history, more than entitled to enforce a sanction.

The manger has done nothing wrong here. The op has caused this situation.

But as mikemac said, op now is the time to turn that around: be on time, don't call in sick, dot the i's and cross the t's and keep your nose clean and keep out of trouble.

Good luck!

It's being pedantic but the boss can only judge a situation by the facts to hand. It's plausible that someone can be too sick to call until the migraine or whatever passes on. The management would obviously prefer if they were told before the shift starts etc but that's not always practical or even possible when you're sick. The OP deserves to be fired really but that doesn't mean that his boss is doing nothing wrong in this latest incident simply because "he deserves it"?

If the OP was hospitalised, clearly any half-decent boss would not have given a reprimand for not making a call. But where is the line drawn then? I think it's good that med certs in my experience don't say why the employee was sick. It's not the employer's business.

I think it's good that med certs in my experience don't say why the employee was sick. It's not the employer's business.

Eh they do :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

She does seem like the strict type but that's her prerogative if she is looking to climb the corporate ladder she HAS to be seen to be making sure everyone is towing the line. Seems like you're giving her ammunition to shoot you. If other people are on time then you don't really have an excuse.

Eh they do :confused:
    Not any of the ones I've ever got. Your employer has no right to know what was wrong with you only that a medical professional deemed you unfit to perform your duties. Your personal sickness is a matter of privacy and for a doctor to put it on a cert without your permission is a breach of Doctor Patient confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's being pedantic but the boss can only judge a situation by the facts to hand. It's plausible that someone can be too sick to call until the migraine or whatever passes on. The management would obviously prefer if they were told before the shift starts etc but that's not always practical or even possible when you're sick. The OP deserves to be fired really but that doesn't mean that his boss is doing nothing wrong in this latest incident simply because "he deserves it"?

If the OP was hospitalised, clearly any half-decent boss would not have given a reprimand for not making a call. But where is the line drawn then? I think it's good that med certs in my experience don't say why the employee was sick. It's not the employer's business.

But in the vast majority of cases a person is perfectly capable of making the call, or getting someone else to do it for them. If you know the night before that you will not be well enough to work in the morning you can ring and leave a message or send an email. If you wake up sick it only takes a minute to ring and say you're not going to be in.

I'm a teacher and we have a policy in my school that if we are ringing in sick that we contact the school before 8.30 so arrangements can be made to cover our classes. It's a completely reasonable request, as it is in any other workplace where work needs to be covered.

OP is at fault, and looking for sympathy. The OP was not hospitalized, they were advised to get a cert to cover themselves because they slept in. It's the OP has a problem with getting up on time for work.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Not any of the ones I've ever got. Your employer has no right to know what was wrong with you only that a medical professional deemed you unfit to perform your duties. Your personal sickness is a matter of privacy and for a doctor to put it on a cert without your permission is a breach of Doctor Patient confidentiality.

I've never ever seen one without the reason.

MyKeyG wrote: »

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/sick_leave.html

See paragraph 4, the cert should state the nature of your illness.

But in the vast majority of cases a person is perfectly capable of making the call, or getting someone else to do it for them. If you know the night before that you will not be well enough to work in the morning you can ring and leave a message or send an email. If you wake up sick it only takes a minute to ring and say you're not going to be in.

I'm a teacher and we have a policy in my school that if we are ringing in sick that we contact the school before 8.30 so arrangements can be made to cover our classes. It's a completely reasonable request, as it is in any other workplace where work needs to be covered.

OP is at fault, and looking for sympathy. The OP was not hospitalized, they were advised to get a cert to cover themselves because they slept in. It's the OP has a problem with getting up on time for work.
    You can say "in the vast majority of cases" all day long, if there are people out there who will get severe migraine before work then they will be scarcely able to leave their bed for a few hours never mind make a phone call. Even if it's not common, it's certainly possible. If the boss doesn't know why the employee was sick, the boss shouldn't assume that he could have called in earlier.

@amdublin, I said that they don't state the reason for illness in my experience They may do so in any other job but that doesn't change how I didn't get certs with a specified reason.

@amdublin, I said that they don't state the reason for illness in my experience They may do so in any other job but that doesn't change how I didn't get certs with a specified reason.

It's not related to your job dude :confused:

Did you read the citizens information link I posted?

'nature of illness' is a very broad term. 'Female condition' would suffice instead of 'menstrual cramps' for example. Your boss cannot inquire of you personally the precise nature of the illness.

We're going around in circles here.

• Advertisement

We're going around in circles here.
    I don't agree! I was incorrectly under the impression you didn't have to tell your boss the reason because it's a matter of privacy, I stand corrected. I do however stand by my statement that your boss has no right to ask you personally the precise nature of your condition.

Advertisement