Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been shafted by boss

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

OK

Gonna clear a few things up here!!

Firstly i was asking for advice and opinions not sympathy im not that bad...

Also i see a few people saying your unreliable etc i never said i was constantly late i was late here and there not everyday, we all have bad habits and this is mine that i go through phases where im on time then fall back into bad habits etc Nobodys perfect...

Just another thing, as i said previously i called in sick as i woke up late.. Yes i woke up late as i just exhausted and obviously didnt get to set an alarm etc nor charge my phone etc but that was my first time calling in sick as my health is quite good despite me been a diabetic...

Anyway i just feel abit hard done by working til midnight instead of 6pm and miss out on training etc and feel its abit unfair to be put on a late pattern for such a long period thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OK

Gonna clear a few things up here!!

Firstly i was asking for advice and opinions not sympathy im not that bad...

Also i see a few people saying your unreliable etc i never said i was constantly late i was late here and there not everyday, we all have bad habits and this is mine that i go through phases where im on time then fall back into bad habits etc Nobodys perfect...

Just another thing, as i said previously i called in sick as i woke up late.. Yes i woke up late as i just exhausted and obviously didnt get to set an alarm etc nor charge my phone etc but that was my first time calling in sick as my health is quite good despite me been a diabetic...

Anyway i just feel abit hard done by working til midnight instead of 6pm and miss out on training etc and feel its abit unfair to be put on a late pattern for such a long period thats all...

Bad habits are not an excuse for being late for work. Bad habits will get you fired. I could just as easily say my bad habit is to go out clubbing on a Sunday night and therefore ring in sick with a hangover on a Monday. Not gonna wash with the boss.

You can choose to get up earlier or you can choose to be late. It doesn't take a minute to set the alarm clock or plug in your phone.

You're on the late shift because your boss can't guarantee you'll get out of bed on time for the early shift. Show them you're reliable and they might change your work pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Bad habits are not an excuse for being late for work. Bad habits will get you fired. I could just as easily say my bad habit is to go out clubbing on a Sunday night and therefore ring in sick with a hangover on a Monday. Not gonna wash with the boss.

You can choose to get up earlier or you can choose to be late. It doesn't take a minute to set the alarm clock or plug in your phone.

You're on the late shift because your boss can't guarantee you'll get out of bed on time for the early shift. Show them you're reliable and they might change your work pattern.
    The boss wasn't shown a particularly good reason to put the OP on the long shifts in the first place... If there was a med cert handed in for the absence, it should have been end of discussion. It's not reasonable to expect contact before some morning deadline in every circumstance. He's on the late shift because the boss seized on a weak excuse to punish for previous misdemeanours. I'll accept the boss may have had good reason to think there should've been an earlier calling-in-sick but the OP needs to clarify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The boss wasn't shown a particularly good reason to put the OP on the long shifts in the first place... If there was a med cert handed in for the absence, it should have been end of discussion. It's not reasonable to expect contact before some morning deadline in every circumstance. He's on the late shift because the boss seized on a weak excuse to punish for previous misdemeanours. I'll accept the boss may have had good reason to think there should've been an earlier calling-in-sick but the OP needs to clarify that.

Well you must work somewhere particularly lenient. Anywhere I've ever worked it's been expected that you ring in before you start work if you are going to be absent. It's common practice in most places I'd imagine. Whether the OP had a medical cert or not isn't really relevant, he's said himself he's been late a few times and this time he slept in, while he may have rung in sick it was over 2 hours after he should have been in work. That isn't acceptable in most workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

you are gone before you start, the company followed procedure even to an extant to change you on different shifts. You pretty much walked straight into it yourself. The only way your going to get out off being fired is go into the General manager or HR and break down and cry and say you have an addiction:D they cant fire you and have to send you for help;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well you must work somewhere particularly lenient. Anywhere I've ever worked it's been expected that you ring in before you start work if you are going to be absent. It's common practice in most places I'd imagine. Whether the OP had a medical cert or not isn't really relevant, he's said himself he's been late a few times and this time he slept in, while he may have rung in sick it was over 2 hours after he should have been in work. That isn't acceptable in most workplaces.
    Ah here, if someone had to be hospitalised for example then they wouldn't be grilled over not calling in by most reasonable managers. It's one thing expecting the call in, it's another thing discplining a broken rule in all circumstances. But if the boss knew the reason for "being sick" then I think it's harsh but justified at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

I thought i specified i handed in a doc cert when i had the "investigation meeting" which cost me €30...

Now i looked at my employee handbook and im not required to give a doc cert for 3 days, i didnt mind i still have a job im not saying calling in 2 hours late is excusable i just dont think it was fair to use my history against me...

After my previous disciplinary i made a huge effort and things were going grand(which they noted), came back from 2 weeks hols and then i had this calling in sick incident which is unsociable!

Im gonna prove them wrong whilst im looking for a new job at present, start a fresh slate elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The whole privacy implications of the sick note is completely off topic.

Op, of course they are going to use your past record against you. You have a history of lates. Then you come in late when already on your final warning and armed with a sick note that wasn't even requested...

Your employer was right to say "oh, another shaggy dog tale. The op has 101 reasons for being late, let's make it easy and just put them on the late shift from now on"

Anyone with several verbal or written warnings against them has clearly come to the attention of management for bad reasons. I think you're right to look for a new job and a fresh start. However, until you get one you need to keep your nose clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    What TF says.

You had a pattern of lates, you'd even been formally warned, twice, in relation to it. Then one day you ring in "sick" two hours after your shift was supposed to have started. Of course your history is going to come into it.

If you'd managed to hold down a couple of years without any patterns re-emerging, then I would agree that it would be unfair to drag your history back into it, but seeing as all of these incidents have occured within a couple of months (and in your first year!), then they would be silly not to look at your history when deciding what to do.

I think you've come up with a good solution tbh in searching for a new job elsewhere. If you stay where you are, it will take 2 - 3 years of diligent timekeeping and honesty to rebuild a reputation of being reliable and in the meantime you might find it hard to work there if your every move is being examined and reported on.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

OP i understand if you are looking for a new job but will things change though?

Not trying to pick on you but it comes across as you you are looking to blame someone / something else for your shortcomings, that is what you need to start doing less of.

Even if you are looking to change jobs for whatever reasons, turn this around first. It does not take 2 years or - can be done in 6 months or so. You are actually in a good position in a way because from now on all is an improvement. Ok you'll probably be watched but as long as you keep straight people will appreciate this change as something positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

swe_fi wrote: »
    OP i understand if you are looking for a new job but will things change though?

Not trying to pick on you but it comes across as you you are looking to blame someone / something else for your shortcomings, that is what you need to start doing less of.

Even if you are looking to change jobs for whatever reasons, turn this around first. It does not take 2 years or - can be done in 6 months or so. You are actually in a good position in a way because from now on all is an improvement. Ok you'll probably be watched but as long as you keep straight people will appreciate this change as something positive.

Good post. OP you mightn't like to hear this but you need to change your attitude and understand where your boss is coming from.They have decided to tighten up time keeping procedure so you need to fall in with this. When the PA became the new boss it's like you are back to starting a job again. You have to prove yourself to her again and prove to her that you are reliable. Remember she is new to the job as well and you are providing her with an unwelcome problem. You are going to lose out and it's your own fault unfortunately for you. Seriously I would advise that you turn this arround, accept your 'punishment' and see where it leaves you

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Things are not good in the job market at present, if I was you I'd take it on the chin and make a point of getting in early. If you can't be on time, then your never going to be appreciated in any job imo, its kids stuff.

Advertisement