Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Aid

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Have decided to invest and buy a Kitchen Aid. Anyone know the best place to buy one and where is the cheapest at the moment. Is there any negatives about them from anyone who has one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

www.nisbets.ie used to be cheap for kitchenaid, usually a limited choice of colours and only two models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I know they may not be the cheapest but Selfridges have a great selection of colours (if that matters to you)..

http://www.selfridges.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10052&catalogId=12151&langId=-1&freeText=KITCHEN+AID&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Have decided to invest and buy a Kitchen Aid. Anyone know the best place to buy one and where is the cheapest at the moment. Is there any negatives about them from anyone who has one.

<Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Having worked with a kitchen aid for years in a busy restaurant, I haven't noticed any disadvantages. My not-mother-in-law prefers the sloped sides of the kenwood tho I've noticed the new kMix has a kitchen aid style bowl. But the kitchen aid has amazing lasting power.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have always found the Kenwood Chef to be better than the Kitchen Aid. Felt there wasn't as much power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The version of the Kitchen Aid with the glass jug-type bowls looks very useful. But I'm a Kenwood Chef fan - grew up using my mother's machine, and I suppose it's just tradition to me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The KW chef is a lot cheaper as well, my local store has a version with a SS bowl for 239 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi

I originally wanted a kitchen aid as they look so lovely and all my fav tv chefs seem to have one, but when my other half brought me to Arnotts to get one we ended up getting a kmix, looks virtually identical and is absolutely fab. We got a great deal, got the mixer and the matching blender for approx. €320... which i thought was great value.

It is the best thing I have ever gotten, i love it to bits. it makes everything so easy to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

http://www.electricshopping.ie/
    was cheapest place i found online

Thud wrote: »
    http://www.electricshopping.ie/
    was cheapest place i found online
    How much was it?

• Advertisement

€463 to €475 depending on the colour and shipping was free.

http://www.electricshopping.ie/kitchen-cooking/food-preparation/food-processors-mixers.html?manufacturer=254

they are generally £399 in the UK so this works out about the same (if you include shipping) and a good bit cheaper than the shops in Ireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thud wrote: »
    €463 to €475 depending on the colour and shipping was free.

http://www.electricshopping.ie/kitchen-cooking/food-preparation/food-processors-mixers.html?manufacturer=254

they are generally £399 in the UK so this works out about the same (if you include shipping) and a good bit cheaper than the shops in Ireland

Is it really worth that? It's an awful lot of money for a mixer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well my kmix was €320 approx. and I think it's worth every penny. I use it a couple of times a week, and it's great that it's so sturdy for making bread & pizza dough.

But €463 is a lot..

supposedly they can last 20-30years, not many appliances nowadays can claim that, if you spread the cost out over that period it's decent enough value.

Depends on how much you'll use it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

It's worth it if you use it - it really is a lifetime machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I would go with a Kenwood. I have a Kenwood Chef Titanium which was bought for me on Amazon. It was much cheaper than what you'd pay in the shops here, and much cheaper than buying a Kitchen Aid on Amazon. Kitchen Aids are very good looking machines, and I'm sure they do as good a job as a Kenwood, but for the price difference I definitely think the Kenwood is the way to go. I'm delighted with mine, it gets great use and it doesn't take up as much counter space as I thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

My mother has her Kitchen Aid for about 20 years and it's still working like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I would go with a Kenwood. I have a Kenwood Chef Titanium which was bought for me on Amazon. It was much cheaper than what you'd pay in the shops here, and much cheaper than buying a Kitchen Aid on Amazon. Kitchen Aids are very good looking machines, and I'm sure they do as good a job as a Kenwood, but for the price difference I definitely think the Kenwood is the way to go. I'm delighted with mine, it gets great use and it doesn't take up as much counter space as I thought it would.

Exactly I'd pay the extra € for something that's going to sit on my countertop for the rest of my life. I've the red KitchenAid and it really is a lovely addition to the kitchen, the aesthetics are important to me and in comparison the Kenwood is a pretty ugly piece of kit. If you're going to store it in a press it of course wouldn't matter but I think to get the best use of it your best off leaving it out.

And I must add the best thing about a stand mixer (especially in contrast with the Magimix) is that the washing up is pretty much the same as if you'd done the job by hand. A huge bonus in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I don't think its quite fair to say that the kenwood is much uglier than the the kitchenaid. the new kMix is a valient attempt to look exactly like the more expensive, more established machine

in fact I'd be a bit pissed off if I were KitchenAid

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Thanks for your comments. I have always wanted a Kitchen Aid and even though the Kenwoods are cheaper and the comments about them favourable, I think I should fulfill my all-time dream of getting a Kitchen Aid, or I might regret it !!! Just need to decide on the colour !!!

I looked up Selfridges but they do not deliver to Ireland. Electricshopping.ie seeem to be the cheapest so far, so I will just do abit of shopping about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My mother's Kenwood Chef is about 35 years old and still going well. Amazing when you think about it. It gets regular enough use and is still used to make all the Christmas cakes and puds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The kenwood is on special in curries atm for 239.

Jealous :(

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Our Kenwood is about 35 years old too....my Mum gave hers to me and I use it almost every second day....!

I know what you're saying about the kitchen aid being a beautiful machine, but the kmixs are lovely as well (and strangely similar!!) to the Kitchen Aids. I know the standard Kenwoods are a bit boxy looking but the Kmixs are chrome / steel, mine is black and chrome, and so very pretty.

Advertisement