Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Cooper getting above his station?

• 16-10-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

MAtt Cooper, who now appears to have about 5 different jobs, now seems to have had The Last Word show renamed in his honour.

I always thought it was just plain old 'The Last Word', but when you hear Matt advertise the show during the breaks on TodayFM he says "previously on The Last Word with Matt Cooper".

You could leave out the Matt Cooper bit Matt, we know who you are, we see you everywhere these days.

Don't remember Dunphy doing that.

No man is bigger than the show itself......or is he?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

One simple four letter word beginning with C explains this trait.

Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

NIMAN wrote: »
    MAtt Cooper, who now appears to have about 5 different jobs, now seems to have had The Last Word show renamed in his honour.

I always thought it was just plain old 'The Last Word', but when you hear Matt advertise the show during the breaks on TodayFM he says "previously on The Last Word with Matt Cooper".

You could leave out the Matt Cooper bit Matt, we know who you are, we see you everywhere these days.

In Dunphy's day they only did 'The Last Word with ****' when it was a substitute (Ross, Cooper, Myers) filling in for Dunphy. If Dunphy was on, it was simply The Last Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get your job did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Saying "with..." seems to be a standard enough way of speaking about shows on the ads. They do it on Newstalk all the time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

If RTE is any kind of a yardstick for these things it probably means that he's now only going to be there about 25% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

HOW DARE HE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saying "with..." seems to be a standard enough way of speaking about shows on the ads. They do it on Newstalk all the time at least.

Put yourself in his position.

Imagine you presented that show. If you were doing an advert for it, would you not feel just a little big headed and egotistical to read out "previously on the Last Word with splendid101"? I know I would.

Surely it would have exactly the same meaning/impact with the dropping of your own name.

I guess its probably just the way that radio has gone over the last decade, where everyone on air feels like we care who the fcuk they are.

"Hello this is AA RoadWatch with Arwen Foley".
    Listen love, just tell us where the traffic jams are, I couldn't give a toss who you are".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

"Hello this is AA RoadWatch with Arwen Foley".
    Listen love, just tell us where the traffic jams are, I couldn't give a toss who you are".
    She does have a cool name though, and in my head she's hot... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

dulpit wrote: »

Runs off to google images... yep, she's hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ArwenFoley.ashx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

tbh wrote: »
    ArwenFoley.ashx

\o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm sure they'll change it when he eventually steps down OP. Wouldn't lose sleep over it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

\o/

jaysus the rest of them really fell off the ugly tree and then toppled over the ugly cliff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I don't think this is new. I have heard the show introduced in this way several times in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who sponsors the show now?

I remember in Dunphy's time it was Aer Lingus.

A voiced intro at the start, and after ad breaks used to announce
    "The Last Word with Aer Lingus . com", followed by one of a number of taglines for the airline.

So it wouldn't have made sense for Dunphy add his own name after this.

If the sponsors are announced differently now, then I don't see a problem with Cooper latching his identity on to the programme title. After all, he is the presenter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Agh, the poor thingeens love to hear their names on telly, ya kno yer wan, she's always tellin us who she is, this is "Samanthagh Libraragh" and all that shtie, like, who the fcuk cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bit of a coup for Cooper here this evening...got John Bowman on sniping at RTÉ...some pretty good insights into the place and where we're at now. He's on promoting his book (which I feel might outsell Duffy's one)

His treatment of Adams last night was OTT though.

Sirprised they didn't revert to the original opening theme by the Stone Roses this evening...missed a trick there...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭kitsy13

Wertz wrote: »
    Bit of a coup for Cooper here this evening...got John Bowman on sniping at RTÉ...some pretty good insights into the place and where we're at now. He's on promoting his book (which I feel might outsell Duffy's one)

His treatment of Adams last night was OTT though.

Sirprised they didn't revert to the original opening theme by the Stone Roses this evening...missed a trick there...

That was Dunphy doing the guitar solo on his les paul in the studio back then lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Gone off MC . he's gone downhill big time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement