Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro fighting game event?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

I wanna gauge the interest for a monthly/bi monthly retro fighting game event.

That is: a multi game event concerning only those games which have already had quite a long life span, and stood more or less the test of time.

I'd love to get regular SFII on the go, and more SFIII (already represented at Doc) and it could also host MvC 2, Garou, KoF 98 or 2002 easily due to xbla. Other games such as guilty gear, alpha 2 or 3 and CVS 2 would be more awkward but I'm sure there would be workarounds if they were popular enough.

Anyway, who'd be up for it, remembering there would be no SFIV, no MvC3 etc..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'd be up for an event like this but there's no point just running older games that nobody plays just for the sake of running them.

The older games that see play in order of popularity seem to me to be:

3s
    ST
    A2
    EX Plus Alpha
    Garou
    Breakers
    CVS2

With probably only the first 3 having enough play for a tournament. I'd say any KOF fans will be happy playing XIII when it comes out. I know there are a few GG fans as well but I've never seen it being played.

Would be great to see more play of older games anyway, hope there's some interest in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Old games are the best so I'd def be interested in this.

Of course being a northerner I'd be semi-regular at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

No Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We need a MD and SFII:CE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

mk2 and umk3...nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Dunno how retro you wanna go Kneecap, or if you're just looking for "less popular" games, but I can happily supply the following:

XBLA:
    HDR/ST
    3SOE

PS1:
    Darkstalkers
    Soulblade

Xbox:
    Street Fighter Anniversary Edition
    DOA 4(?)

GCN:
    Soul Calibur 2
    CvS2:EO
    Smash Bros Melee (do it!)

Wii:
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom

This seems like kind of a short list, I'll edit it later once I have the games in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha Please & Wu Tang: Taste The Pain.

Fcuk it, throw some Robo Pit in there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Shaq Fu is a must have.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

1 vote for pit fighter!

• Advertisement

Creature wrote: »
    Shaq Fu is a must have.
    No.
    Shaqfu.com's mission is to LIBERATE all the copies of Shaq-Fu from existence by buying them from anyone who owns the game, including local console retailers, Ebay merchants, normal citizens, and the like. Here are reasons why this is important:

Reasons for LIBERATING:

You prevent other generations from feeling the corruption of this game and its evil.
    You clear up the enormous copies of Shaq-Fu lying on the shelves in used console game stores. By doing so, you remove it from public display so that people will not be reminded of the game's existence.
    Purchasing many copies of the game shifts the demand schedule, consequently raising the price. Even though it costs you more money, it reduces the incentive for a non-liberator to buy the game; a worthwhile sacrifice.
    By getting it from another person, you remove the burden and embarrassment they feel.
    The reasons go on and on. Shaq-Fu must be eliminated for everyone to feel at peace. This website discusses the methods of how to obtain copies and how to dispose and/or make use of the copies obtained. It also serves as the front line for the Shaq-Fu Liberation Front. Here, you will be able to obtain current numbers of Shaq-Fu copies liberated, as well as membership for the Shaq-Fu Liberation Front. With your help, we may be able to obtain a Shaq-Fu-free world for our childen to grow up in. Join today and help our cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Snip--
    GCN:
    Soul Calibur 2
    snip....

YES!?! easily the greatest controller and version of the game. :)

Pretty sure you could set up a casual corner :) where you could play anything for ****s and giggles. I know I could bring some if not all of the following:

(Of the top of my head cause half of em are boxed away)
    Snes: Killer instinct, TMT:TF, MK2
    GC: Soul Calibur 2, Smash bros, CvsSNK(2? cant remember, Chun on cover)
    N64: I think I still have Fighter’s Destiny lol... :cool:

Im sure Im forgeting some... but now I just want to dig out Fighters Destiny :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Might be an idea asking in Arcade and Retro too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Samurai_Shodown_II_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

ST and 3S are locks.

I think 4 games would be the magic number, and both games above are significantly quicker than the modern mainstays.

The other games would have to be decided based on popularity and ease of access.

Simply put, if something isn't on xbla, it makes it awkward as hell. Both for consoles & connecting to the monitors and for arcade sticks.

That would be dependent on someone bring both a console and games and 2 decent arcade sticks. which is a big ask.

A Question; how many people do you reckon need to show up to the exchange to make this worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

DinoRex would be kind of a deal breaker for me on this:

1344539-dinorex_large.png

i'm gonna get on to the crowd to see about dates.

What games would people be interested in. There's 2 spaces to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Vanilla SF4 >:L

haha, but kiki says its not the best sf4...

I'm gonna look to book this for the 26th, which is the Last Saturday in November.

Edit: this should be the most moustached tourny ever so.

• Advertisement

haha, but kiki says its not the best sf4...
    Nah, Vanilla SF4 is cool.

Unbalanced but fúck it, makes for shorter games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Alpha 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

So you're booking this for the Exchange without anyone getting back to you about numbers? Or what?

I really think we've had enough miscommunication with them without yet another person booking a tournament.

edit:

Why are you booking this at all yet, let alone for the Exchange which we've had communication problems with in the past for separate people booking tournaments and them not knowing we're all part of the same crowd?

If you're going ahead with this, why not in the XGC to see if it's viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

CvS2 and Alpha 2 please!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    So you're booking this for the Exchange without anyone getting back to you about numbers? Or what?

I really think we've had enough miscommunication with them without yet another person booking a tournament.

edit:

If you're going ahead with this, why not in the XGC to see if it's viable?

My bad; poor communication. I'm seeing if it available on that date, and giving people a prospective date of when it could be held.

The 26th is the only Sat between Now and next year that could work.

Having a date is the only way I'll know if it'll work at all. And the other half of it, is a build it and they will come type hope.

Re: xgc; Everyone seems to hate it and complain of lag, etc. Maybe the exchange will make them get out of bed in the morning.

Nothing is set in stone yet.
    Why are you booking this at all yet, let alone for the Exchange which we've had communication problems with in the past for separate people booking tournaments and them not knowing we're all part of the same crowd?

This I know nothing about.

If Anyone can say if they are available or not on the 26th that would be a massive help.

Even if all you are saying is No, it would be very useful to me.

If no, can you tell me if the problem is the date or just not interested in the concept as a whole?

MK people, would you show up for UMK3?
    Marvel people Would you show for MvC2?
    BB people Guilty gear?
    KoF People eh... a different KoF?

etc etc.

(all responses are good, even negative ones!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be honest, I am in a tournament every week until that weekend, and Inferno after.

I could do with a weekend off recording/ Guile clone duties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I won't be available sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

If Anyone can say if they are available or not on the 26th that would be a massive help.

Even if all you are saying is No, it would be very useful to me.

If no, can you tell me if the problem is the date or just not interested in the concept as a whole?

MK people, would you show up for UMK3?
    Marvel people Would you show for MvC2?
    BB people Guilty gear?
    KoF People eh... a different KoF?

etc etc.

(all responses are good, even negative ones!)

I would love to go, but I'm running this tourney on that day.

• Advertisement

Right well since you were in there first, the date is yours.

I'll try have a retro tournament sometime in January if possible.

Advertisement