Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Work in NSW

Options
  • 16-10-2011 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok so Ive got a job driving a bin chaser with a friend and my sister, She is going to nanny and being put down as doing farm work, the thing is were going to be getting payed 600 a week and my sister 400 for 7 days a week with 12-14 hours just wondering what ye think of this

Mod I'll leave this open for discussion about the work situation - but not the visa i.e. no talk of getting around the farm rule. Or no encouragement of breaking rules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Sounds like someone is getting a good deal.
    If you are getting fed and your digs are included, that's the employer end probably covered and looks like you're just about minimum wage
    http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx

That figure is for a 38 hour week, most folk work 36-37.

If someone is doing a dodgy by working at one thing and putting it towards a second WHV as something else, they will probably have to put up with the unfairness/exploitation as awful as that sounds. Turn the employer in and you lose the position and are back in the job market.
    Is the employer approachable? Open to discussion about terms, conditions, $$ etc. If not, you either suck it up for the 80 odd days or cut loose and turn him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I thought myself it was a bit unfair, Its just the first offer we were made so I felt i should ask, I think itd be better for me to wait till january to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Thats actually one of the reasons i asked the question didnt seem right, my sister has no problem doing fruit work, i didnt think being a nanny counted and thought it strange when the woman said she would put down farmwork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod It's not counted, she wants some cheap labour and your sister will get a 2nd WHV in return. Many people would accept this. But at the end of the day it is up to her.

You can weigh up the pros and cons and decide.

As a mod point of view from a discussion POV, please stick to the facts when accessing this situation.

Advertisement