Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Condensation

• 16-10-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi. Would anybody here have any ideas as to why there is so much condensation on this double glazed bedroom window. Its the only room in the house to get condensation badly on the window. Its a small box room at rear of house south facing that i sleep in myself (male adult). Ive tried to remedy it by fitting a trickle vent but its still condensating..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

do you have an air vent on the wall of the room ???
    if so it may be blocked up or closed it may need to be opened up or cleaned
    that looks like a lot of condensation have you a gas or kero heater working in the room ??
    these items cause a lot of condensation and need very good ventilation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Hi. Would anybody here have any ideas as to why there is so much condensation on this double glazed bedroom window. Its the only room in the house to get condensation badly on the window. Its a small box room at rear of house south facing that i sleep in myself (male adult). Ive tried to remedy it by fitting a trickle vent but its still condensating..

Condensation is a manifistation of water vapour in the air condensing on a surface whose temperature is at or lower the dewpoint of the air.
    Water vapour is a constituent of air so will always have it. Why does is cause a problem in one instance and not another is one of (or a combination of) the following:
    1. Surface temperature:
    Glazing will generally be the coldest surface in a room and therefore shows condensation first. Not a lot to be done here without changing the glazing.
    2. Room Temperature:
    This has a big impact on the symtoms. If the temperature of the room is lower than the rest of the house through lack of heating or higher heat loss characteristics of the room (e.g. more external heat loss elements), the relative humidity (rh) of the air will be higher. The higher the rh the more risk of condensation you have.
    3. Ventilation:
    It is important to exhaust moist air as soon as it is produced by using good fans etc in bathrooms, kitchens etc and not to introduce moisture unnecessarily (e.g. drying clothes inside). Warm air at x% rh will contain significantly more moisture than cool air at x%rh. For this reason, by replacing warm air (wet) with cool air (dry) is the best way of removing moisture. Also, it is often the case that moisture generated in one part of the house (warmer part) causes problems in the other part (cooler bedroom).
    You need to look at this room wrt what is said above and improve the heating, ventilation, moisture exhaustion.
    This assumes, of course that there are no other sources of moisture in this part of the house such as leaks.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

vinn wrote: »
    do you have an air vent on the wall of the room ???
    if so it may be blocked up or closed it may need to be opened up or cleaned
    that looks like a lot of condensation have you a gas or kero heater working in the room ??
    these items cause a lot of condensation and need very good ventilation

No heaters in the room only radiator from gas central heating that is turned off. There is only a vent (Pic Below) over the the bedroom door leading out onto the upstairs landing..

No heaters in the room only radiator from gas central heating that is turned off. There is only a vent (Pic Below) over the the bedroom door leading out onto the upstairs landing..

looks like you are going to have to get an external vent fitted
    if you have a condensation problem like this all the time you will
    have mould growth problem as well pretty soon
    sometimes this can just happen with big temperature changer like we have at the moment so hang on for a couple of weeks before doing anything and see what happens before doing anything

if you have a condensation problem like this all the time you will
    have mould growth problem as well pretty soon
    sometimes this can just happen with big temperature changer like we have at the moment so hang on for a couple of weeks before doing anything and see what happens before doing anything

What is the external vent?

• Advertisement

Thanks vinn..but would this system cause alot of heat loss?

Thanks vinn..but would this system cause alot of heat loss?
    as with all vents you will have some heat loss but it will be very minimal once you dont have any large air volume passing through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chico_2002

@ OP - sorry to hijack your post... ... but ....

I also have this problem in my main bedroom, and the pictures of the original poster are all too familiar. recently i have started to see black mould on the walls around the window too.

I thought that double glazing should mean no condensation because there is a vacum or argon or something inbetween the panels of glass and so the cold and warm dont meet?

I have no idea how im going to solve this issue. I had thought it might have been a badly fitted window, would this be a possible cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

+1 on the external vent. It's the only way you'll solve this. As poster said, heat loss is minimal due to vent grill. All rooms in most modernish houses have their own vents...what year was yours built?

• Advertisement

+1 on the external vent. It's the only way you'll solve this. As poster said, heat loss is minimal due to vent grill. All rooms in most modernish houses have their own vents...what year was yours built?

Interesting. My own house was built in 1992..

Interesting. My own house was built in 1992..
    as i said in the previous quote dont panic to much at the moment as you will have a larger amount than normal of condensation when the temperature changes as it is at the moment
    when you first start using your heating again after the summer it will be worse for a week or two
    a word of caution wash of any black mould with disinfectant immediately this will stop it getting any worse and if it does continue to get worse you mayy have to get a vent fitted or alternatively you could use a small dehumidifier
    but the pronblem will come back as soon as you discontinue using it

Right ill hold off a while like you say vinn..thanks for the input peeps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

Would the window be damaged in any way in that the vacuum gas etc that should have been there initially has deteriorated in any way. A consequence of this would be that the window has become a better conductor of heat and cold.... If you are considering vents look at putting in a heat recovery ventilation unit even for just the one room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Get yourself a de-humidifier, run it on a timer for an hr a day when your at work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

+1 on the external vent.

Is it expensive to get an external vent fitted? :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Posy wrote: »
    Is it expensive to get an external vent fitted? :confused:
    there should be an external vent in each room along with an Mech extract in each wet room,utility and kitchen.

much of this debate is requires a 2 pronged approach : ventilate and insulate appropriately
    ventilate to remove excess moisture in the air
    and insulate, keeping the due point to the outside of the external wall.

in my house I have wall vents but still have the some condensation issues as the OP, (particularly on my rear patio doors, why? because the crap!)

but to really solve the problem I would need to remove the thermal bridges, by installing external insulation, replace the windows and refit units correctly overlap with the insulation and install a whole house mechanical extract system.

in lieu of doing all of the above, the best thing to do is open the windows during the day and let the areas around the windows dry out..
    and in the bedrooms leave the windows open at little at night..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irish miss

I have a similar problem, condensation in between double glazed windows!
    Bedroom window faces SE & 2 windows in living room & kitchen face SW. I have 2 other windows in both living room & kitchen. (2 windows in both rooms, in total) the other windows are ok, no condensation on them?
    My landlord wants me too run the de - humidifier ALL day, but that's in living room, so it's of no use in kitchen or bedroom, also the hose is 'in the window, so hose runs straight outside' & it can't be moved!
    No vents in bedroom or living room & 1 in kitchen above cooker, no handle too open or close + it's high up on wall, so I can't reach it.
    Any ideas on how I can get rid of condensation? I can't see through them properly, (they face the road - kitchen & living room) bedroom window is on side of house, only 1 window in bedroom.
    Oil central heating & living in country. (in the west of Ireland)
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    I hope I've given enough information for someone too help?
    Thanks in advance.

Irish miss wrote: »
    Bedroom window faces SE & 2 windows in living room & kitchen face SW. I have 2 other windows in both living room & kitchen. (2 windows in both rooms, in total) the other windows are ok, no condensation on them?
    My landlord wants me too run the de - humidifier ALL day, but that's in living room, so it's of no use in kitchen or bedroom, also the hose is 'in the window, so hose runs straight outside' & it can't be moved!
    No vents in bedroom or living room & 1 in kitchen above cooker, no handle too open or close + it's high up on wall, so I can't reach it.
    Any ideas on how I can get rid of condensation? I can't see through them properly, (they face the road - kitchen & living room) bedroom window is on side of house, only 1 window in bedroom.
    Thanks in advance.
    P s. de humidifier runs for hour in morning & hour at night. It's on the window that's ok!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭horse7

just leave your small window open slightly at night when your in bed,and see what its like in the morning.it wont cost you anything and the airflow should be a big improvement to the condensation problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks in advance.
    move..
    or if that's not an option, suggest the landlord pays for the humidifier..
    If the condesnation is between the panes, they need to be changed to solve the problem.

Move not an option!! :)

got humidifier in living room, landlord wont get any more, i'd have too get them for bedroom + kitchen + at moment can't afford it!

thanks for replies, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Thanks in advance.

You say that the condensation is in between double glazed windows.
    If so, the units might be broken down and need replacing.
    Leaving clothes on or near Radiators can cause vapours and is a factor in most cases. A 4" external wall vent will help in getting rid of the problem.
    Try and get hold of a Homebond House building manual. Gives great advice on all issues

Thanks for the information.

i was thinking also, there are 2 windows in living room + kitchen, but ONLY 1 in each room has condensation??????? :confused:

i don't dry my clothes on raidiator, i use a maiden. (clothes horse)

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

a 6inch vent is fitted for 80 euro+vat. Surely this is cheaper than a dehumidifier + electricity to run them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

[QUOTE=Irish miss;78262

i don't dry my clothes on raidiator, i use a maiden. (clothes horse)

thanks again.[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing - using a clothes horse. Your clothes use the heat of the house or central heating to dry and the moisture has to go somewhere.

Always open a window - preferably two - one at each end of the room/s to create a cross breeze to take moisture out of house.

Or put the clothes horse outside if possible. Or in a sunny room with open windows.

Advertisement