Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast fry in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do most of these places open on Sundays? Shels are playing in the FAI Cup final on Sunday so I'll be in much need of a hangover cure which also doubles up as a nice fry for the day of drinking ahead! :D Looking for somewhere decent but reasonably priced around D'Olier St/Pearse St/O'Connell St/etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Do most of these places open on Sundays? Shels are playing in the FAI Cup final on Sunday so I'll be in much need of a hangover cure which also doubles up as a nice fry for the day of drinking ahead! :D Looking for somewhere decent but reasonably priced around D'Olier St/Pearse St/O'Connell St/etc...

The Kingfisher on Parnell St (across from Jurys) is open as is Kylemore on O'Connell St. Stay away from the Lombard on Pearse St although good location for you but the Kingfisher serves a lovely breakfast. Despite a lot of people knocking the Kylemore, the breakfast there is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The odd fry that Ive had in the lombard was decent. Better than Kylemore anyway

There's a place right beside it called Lunch that does a nice fry or rasher sambos . Or you could go into the wee grocers shop next door (o'donovans or something), they do a top breakfast roll for pretty cheap. Dunno if they open on the weekend though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

Millstone restaurant on Dame Street is the best I've ever come across. Everything is cooked to perfection.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I've thought over the years the standard of Tea went down ...or is it me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Newscafe in Blackrock, never had better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Brahms in Marino Mart, around the corner from Fairview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Del Rio's across from the Abbey Theatre. All day breakfast and the pudding is unreal....

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Kylemore in Liffey Valley, €9 with tea/coffee and jaysus I couldn't eat for the rest of the day, was stuffed:D

One of my top spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

did 'honest to goodness' ever open back up in georges arcade after it suffered a bad fire a few years ago (been a few years since I worked in town). that was my favourite by a long shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

For me it's the woodstock cafe in phibsborough,great value and good grub E7 for fry,toast and coffee haven't found anywhere better than it in dublin yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

theteal wrote: »
    did 'honest to goodness' ever open back up in georges arcade after it suffered a bad fire a few years ago (been a few years since I worked in town). that was my favourite by a long shot

Yup. It's back open.
    paddyandy wrote: »
    I've thought over the years the standard of Tea went down ...or is it me?

It did a bit. Joy of Cha on East Essex St. has the best selection of tea in town I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

as mentioned previously Ikea does a damn fine breakfast from 10 -11 Mon- Sat and 11 - 12 on Sunday.
    You can have a small 6 item breakfast for €1.95 -- yes that's right €1.95. That includes one sausage, one rasher, one hash brown, scrambled eggs, tomato and beans.
    A regular breakfast is slightly heartier with nine items -- two sausages, two rashers, two hash browns, scrambled eggs, tomato and beans. All for €2.25 -- again you're reading it right €2.25. They also do a kids brekkie for 95 cent where you can pick three items.
    The sausages are very tasty and the rashers are nice and meaty. The hash browns are lovely and crisp and the beans are fine too. Scrambled eggs are done well. The tomato, however, suffers from what a lot of cafs tend to do -- undercook it. A cooked tomato should be softer and not resemble something you'd put in a salad.
    The other down side is if you're a fried egg fan -- you're out of luck here as they only offer scrambled.
    Also, the breakfast is set you can't choose one sausage, two rashers, no beans etc... you have a choice of small or regular.
    Still, it's the best value breakfast in the country - never mind Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Eddie Rockets do an amzing fry, I know frys and Eddie Rockets arent really two things youd put together but its a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Matt the Rashers is the best. Doesn't take long either, you'll have you're breakfast in front of you at most 5 minutes after you order.

Went to Monto's up from it twice because Matts was closed. Never again, it was poor food and the place was a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I tried the re-opened Bewleys in Grafton Street for breakfast this week. What a disappointment! The whole place is now waitress-only service for €9-60 for their idea of "full Irish breakfast". This included a "farl" - a Northern Ireland thing, surely! - and very poorly chosen food generally. It was as if any old sausage, any old puddings would suffice. When they said "mushroom" thats what I got: a single mushroom! The very small cup of coffee was lukewarm and served first to ensure it was totally cold when the food arrived - an old cafe trick to force people to buy a second coffee. The poached egg was rock hard and the "toast" was not toasted - just slightly heated. The mediocre food on offer led me to assume this restaurant to be run by the Bewleys Hotel group but checking the website I found that this did not seem to be the case - the cafe seems to be owned by Bewleys who sell coffees and teas and thus presumably the successors of the original Bewleys Oriental Cafes.
    The staff were nice enough but they couldn't do anything about the impossibly tiny round tables on which the food was placed in the upstairs section nor about these tables being crammed together so tightly that you could practically hear people in adjacent tables chewing and swallowing.
    All in all, a very disappointing experience which I would not repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

etcpub wrote: »
    Hi,

Where in Dublin can you get the best full Irish?
    The full package with hash browns, mushrooms, bacon, beans in tomato sauce, ...
    Share your opinion :)

Cheerz,

etcpub

Surprised no one has said it - gerrys on montage st off Camden st. 7 euro...always packed with cops n builders...best in town by a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I would recommend Kingfishers on Parnell Street. I have found the food to be very good and the service was excellent the last time i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hamstercrusher

Ikea food is tops - didnt know they did breakfast though? Never been there that early . . . .

Cafe Sofia on Wexford St is my favourite - freshly cooked and cheapest/best value i have ever seen

Viola on baggot st is v good also

Have to agree with cafe sofia, they have a range of fries of different sizes you can choose from or if you want something particular they will oblige, staff are awesome and look after whatever you want, he's closed this week for christmas and have no idea what to do for brekkie in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I would recommend Kingfishers on Parnell Street. I have found the food to be very good and the service was excellent the last time i was there.

I still think The Kingfisher is very good, although I know another poster here didn't like it. Also Woodstock in Phibsboro, 3 items for about €5.50. It consistently has good food, at any time of the day.

I was just in Del Rios today, opposite the Abbey Theatre. It's good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

The cafe in Glasnevin Museum (just inside the cemetery gates) has a small breakfast for €5 which has four items plus tea/coffee and toast. The portions aren't enormous, but they're always freshly cooked, and the toast is good too. I just about prefer it to Woodstock in Phibsboro, though that is excellent value.

Cafe Seven on St Andrews St (just around the corner from Suffolk St) has a great all-day breakfast. The veggie breakfast is the best value at €6.95 for tea/coffee, toast, wedges, 2 hash browns, tomato, beans and 2 eggs - had that many a time. The full Irish is €8.50 - can't remember what's in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Gerry's on Montague Street, great fry and the main man is a nice guy.

Kennedy's in Fairview, fantastic brekkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ernest wrote: »
    I tried the re-opened Bewleys in Grafton Street for breakfast this week. What a disappointment! The whole place is now waitress-only service for €9-60 for their idea of "full Irish breakfast". This included a "farl" - a Northern Ireland thing, surely!
    Same here a few days back, they're selling the Ulster fry in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

one I've found recently is the paris bakery on moore street. much more glam that you'd think (eggs benedict, smoked salmon etc) but also the fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Cafe Boulevard (or Boulevard Cafe can't remember which it is) on Baggot Street do a really nice bacon, eggs, toast breakfast but for some reason there's no sausages so I don't think it can ever be the best. In fact I don't think they do sausages at all in there - not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Cafe Hoggar in Stoneybatter does a savage all day breakfast for €8.
    Really nice and they also do lovely smoothies to wash it down so I don't feel so bad about my 'heart attack on a plate'.

Also a strange but equally nice place is Peoples Cafe chinese restuarant on Capel st.
    Havent been there for a while but they used to serve up a savage breakfast till 3pm every day for about €6.
    Good idea as there was nowhere to get breakfast around there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

A good budget option is the Kung Fu Buffet in Phibsboro, a full irish for 3 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Went to Monto's up from it twice because Matts was closed. Never again, it was poor food and the place was a dump.

Was in Monto's today, got the full Irish (minus the fried eggs, extra sausage and rasher) and I must say I thought it was lovely, decent sausages, nicely grilled rashers, beans nice and freshly cooked (no skin or crap on the sauce). My only gripe was the toast was a bit cold.

Was fairly packed aswell for a Sunday at 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Was in Monto's today, got the full Irish (minus the fried eggs, extra sausage and rasher) and I must say I thought it was lovely, decent sausages, nicely grilled rashers, beans nice and freshly cooked (no skin or crap on the sauce). My only gripe was the toast was a bit cold.

Was fairly packed aswell for a Sunday at 1pm.

You should have went to Matts instead!
    Monto isn't so bad, it's just that any time I went there it was because Matts was closed and it's just a poor substitute. Actually, last time Matts was closed we went to that cafe beside superquin and I thought it was better than Montos too.
    Matts gets extra marks for speed and consistancy. Any time you go there everything is cooked exactly the same. Fried eggs are always spot on. Toast is always hot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

kingfisher on parnell street

the fried eggs are amazeballs!

Advertisement