Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 3 month old pup

• 16-10-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all I have a 3 month old yorkie cross.
    On Friday she had an accident in the home and hasn't been the same since
    Bella is a dog that gets very excited over food (I posted a thread on here over it not so long ago) she was going around in circles as usual and whacked her head off a door frame. She fell to the floor and went all stiff and started to shake and wasn't alert and was very dazed and lost the power in her back legs and soiled herself.
    So i left her alone for a bit to see would she come out of it and she did and ate her food and drank loads of water but i still brought her to the vet just to get her checked out, the vet checked her over and said nutting was broken and she seemed fine and just gave her a shot of pain killers.
    When we got her home we out her into bed and all seemed fine but she was still shaking and after a few hours went by she stared to vomit clear fluid (She was still eating her food a this time and keeping it down) so i took it as she was given a strong pain killer that upset her little tummy. she was also vomiting the fluid almost every 20 minutes.
    So bed time came and we out her into bed and keep and eye on her threw the night and all was ok but when we woke up to go wake bella up she had pooed all over her bed and herself, the poo was very slimy but still solid.
    As the day went on we feed her and she seemed in great form, still eating, drinking, playing etc but we noticed she was pooing every hour again the poos were solid but very slimy and she vomited the clear fluid 5 time that day.
    Again bed time came and we out her to bed and this morning i woke up to the worst mess very she had pooed all over her bed and herself and the was also vomit in her cage but a tiny amount.
    The poo in her cage was very runny and a dark brown colour it also had like a mucus in it and she is pooing almost every 15 to 20 minutes.
    I haven't feed her today as i am afraid to and i have noticed her gums are a pale colour.

I have to add in when i brought her to the vets she suggested that bella should be wormed so yesterday morning i wormed her. I gave her 1.5mg of Parazole and it is supposed to be given for three consecutive days. I didn't give it to her today as i am afraid it will make her worse.
    And also the vet said the her anal glands very a bit full and she emptied them for me but now she is scraping her bum off the ground

If anyone can give me any advise on what could be wrong i would be grateful as there is no vets open till tomorrow morning
    And should i continue the worm does ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

To be perfectly honest unless there is a vet on here to give advice unfortunately you probably need to consult with your vet again. It may not be too serious and be down to the medication upsetting her stomach but better to be safe than sorry.

Has she lost her appetite and is she drinking plenty of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest unless there is a vet on here to give advice unfortunately you probably need to consult with your vet again. It may not be too serious and be down to the medication upsetting her stomach but better to be safe than sorry.

Has she lost her appetite and is she drinking plenty of water?

She will be brought to a vet 1st thing Monday Morning

Yep she is still drinking and eating

It's normally a good sign that they still have a good appetite but its not definitive. There could be a neurological  problem due to the bang on the head. In saying that the dogs skull is pretty sturdy. Give your vet a call and give them the symptoms and let them decide whether it warrants a second visit or whether you should simply monitor her at home. Best of luck.

My Local vets only takes after hour calls if its to do with live stock only.

Would you suggest feeding her today or starve her ?

I don't see any reason not to feed her. The clear bile she is throwing up is a result of an upset stomach probably due to the worming. It maybe too harsh for her. I'm surprised they did not give you the stuff you put on the back of her neck? That's what we do once or twice a year. I would continue to feed her for sure and plenty of water. It's a judgement call on the worming. Personally i would stop and call to the vet on Monday and ask for the stuff that can be applied on the neck.

My dog developed a heart condition a few hears back and he was on a cocktail of drugs and would occasionally throw up the clear bile. It was down to the medication. That is my only experience with that symptom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Not sure if its in any way helpful but my dog has colitis and when he has a flare up he vomits a lot and has lots of mucusy poos

Just an update

I brought bella to the vets today and she got the all clear for any viruses.
    I was told it was due to shock from the accident she had on Friday
    She was given a shot of antibiotics and was put on tablets for four days

Other then that it was nutting to worry about and shes fine and healthy

Advertisement