Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty phone - no receipt but they have proof I bought it.

Options
  • 16-10-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, this is probably a bit of a tricky one, so any advice would be really appreciated!

I bought a phone in my local Meteor store (PAYG) about 6 weeks ago. Three weeks on, the phone kept switching itself off and then just died completely and wouldn't turn on again. I brought it into the shop and they took my receipt and replaced it. They had me sign a receipt thing for them to keep on file and gave me a new receipt.

Fast forward two and a half weeks, and the new phone has the exact same issue (the phone was the same as the one I bought originally). It keeps dropping calls and turning off approximately 20-30 times a day. If I turn it back on, it says 'scanning network' and goes on, then as soon as I make a call, it dies again.

I went back into the shop and explained the issue, and the girl said that there is nothing they can do as I lost the receipt and even if I brought in the receipt, without all of the packaging, they'd only replace it with the same phone again. I don't mind getting a replacement phone, but not the same one again, this fault has happened with two of them!

I know I probably have no leg to stand on without my receipt, but they have a record of me replacing the phone, as I signed a receipt for them to put into the till/system. So what would my rights be in this situation? They have proof of purchase on their systems but said to have anything done, I need a receipt, and even then, without the original packaging, I would not get a refund or a replacement of a different model phone, even though the phone is clearly faulty!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Go into network settings in the phone and set it to GSM only and see does that cure it. Are there any updates out for your phone have you checked the makers website?
    The shop would have a point of sale system, the IMEI of your phone would have been recorded in it. Ask them from a reprint of the receipt, they should be able to provide that. If your having no luck ask for the manager. They will have a record of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Why oh why oh why do phone shops have such sh1te customer service.

If you can give them the exact day / date that you got the replacement, then they can get the record. Also every sngle phone that comes into the shop has a serial number and they have a record of it.

Look for the manager, explain the situation calmly and if you still get the same stupid answer, simply inform them that you are filing a small claims court case. - This costs €15 and can be done online.

And for any phone shop reading this - FFS LEARN BASIC customer service!!! This STUPIDITY gives retail a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks for the advice! I checked out all the settings and possible updates but everything is fine on that front. I think it might be a battery issue, because the day I charge it, it'll be fine, but the minute one bar of battery is used, the problems start, which was the same as the original phone.

I'll go in today and ask to speak to the manager, because my dad also said they'd have a record of the IMEI, but I wanted to be sure before going in! The way I figure it is yes, I was stupid to lose the receipt, but I know they have proof of purchase, signed by me, which is what the receipt is for, proof of purchase!

maxer68 wrote: »
    Look for the manager, explain the situation calmly and if you still get the same stupid answer, simply inform them that you are filing a small claims court case. - This costs €15 and can be done online.

That's one way to get kicked out. Making a threat is one way not to get helped, if your going to take someone to court take them to court but don't threaten anyone. That's terrible advice.

OP what phone is it? Nokia C3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

did you give your name adress and other details when buying the phone? if so they have a record of it they also have a record of the exchange, and unless they dont have printers you should be able to get them to print of a recipt

• Advertisement

Maxer - I can give them the exact date the replacement phone was given, and an estimate of the time too. I'll go in and talk to the manager today, thanks!

One other thing - I am totally happy to get a replacement phone of a different model to the same value, but do I really need all the packaging to get this?!

Lynda have you a load of texts messages on it?

That's one way to get kicked out. Making a threat is one way not to get helped, if your going to take someone to court take them to court but don't threaten anyone. That's terrible advice.

OP what phone is it? Nokia C3?

I won't threaten SCC anyway! Nah, it's called a SamSung Ping Chat in the store, but calls itself a GT - C3500 or something like that when I turn it on! Only a cheap phone but I bought it specifically because I've never had trouble with Samsung phones before now! :rolleyes:

Caspa - I didn't give address details, I just signed a receipt, but the fact that I signed it should be proof enough, I think.

Lynda have you a load of texts messages on it?

Nope, I have on average 3 at a time in my inbox, I'm always deleting them 'cause I don't like having loads of texts in my inbox, and I usually use my phone for calls mostly anyway. I also have absolutely no files saved on the phone, no pictures, no music, no games, nothing! I literally only use it for calls and work!

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I won't threaten SCC anyway! Nah, it's called a SamSung Ping Chat in the store, but calls itself a GT - C3500 or something like that when I turn it on! Only a cheap phone but I bought it specifically because I've never had trouble with Samsung phones before now! :rolleyes:

Caspa - I didn't give address details, I just signed a receipt, but the fact that I signed it should be proof enough, I think.

no i mean when you first bought the phone

• Advertisement

caspa307 wrote: »
    no i mean when you first bought the phone

Oh, sorry! No, I didn't give them any details. My local Meteor shop don't take customer details unless you're sending a phone in for repair. They just give you a bag, a receipt and you're done.

Have you reset the setting on the phone to see does it help, Can you demonstrate the fault in store?

Yeah I changed the settings and the same problem is happening. See there's a problem there - I can't demonstrate it in store because it happens about once every hour or so. I brought the first phone back after it had completely died and just would not switch on, so there was no denying that there was a fault with that, but I presume as this only happens every hour or so, they'll have to send it off.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Oh, sorry! No, I didn't give them any details. My local Meteor shop don't take customer details unless you're sending a phone in for repair. They just give you a bag, a receipt and you're done.
    hmm ok see thats what we used to do when i worked in cpw, ask them to look up the serial number as that has to be on thier system, that should lead them to all the dates they need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My boyfriend bought a Samsung Tocco through Vodafone about 2 weeks ago and he has had the exact same problems you describe. He also had no joy with their "customer service".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Had a similar problem with my Samsung, hadn't got the receipt and my GF bought it for me, but went in, and my friend that works there, RE-PRINTED my receipt that my GF had got when she purchased the phone. Problem sorted. They can do it, just push.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

My missus had the very same problem with a samsung trevvi. Constant restarts and dropped calls. Tesco were no bother in changing it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

did you give your name adress and other details when buying the phone? if so they have a record of it they also have a record of the exchange, and unless they dont have printers you should be able to get them to print of a recipt
    They dont want to take the phone back at all and will not print off anything for you, you are not entitled to a reprint/copy of your reciept afaik
    hmm ok see thats what we used to do when i worked in cpw, ask them to look up the serial number as that has to be on thier system, that should lead them to all the dates they need
    They will have all the sale information but they dont want to take back faulty phones as it involves sending them back which involves postage and insurance etc
    one2one wrote: »
    Had a similar problem with my Samsung, hadn't got the receipt and my GF bought it for me, but went in, and my friend that works there, RE-PRINTED my receipt that my GF had got when she purchased the phone. Problem sorted. They can do it, just push.
    Friends working in phone shops are great but if you are just a normal customer who does not get special favours you wont get much help as the shop are not obliged to help you and from their stance up to now it sounds like they do not want to help.

None of this is from the staff though who are just earning a living like most other people, it is policy in most phone shops.

Advertisement