Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Setup

Options
  • 16-10-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

With the fly fishing ended a few weeks I've been wanting to get into pike fishing. However, with my extremely limited experience, I've no idea of what to look for as regards a rod and reel.

Should I been concerned more with casting weights or test curves?It's confusing me a lot I must say. Also, for our rivers (Nore,Barrow etc) what length of rod is sufficient?Would a 12ft rod be too long?

Finally......what reels are regarded as ideal for this type of fishing.........I'll be spinning/lures more often than not I imagine.

I'm aware I've asked a lot here, but I taught I should ask in this audience rather than throw money at something I'm unsure about. I guess my budget is about €250-300?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

wouldnt worry about rod and reel too much, i caught two nice size fishes today on a 4ft ultralite rod, ultralite spinning reel and 10lb line, using a frog lure.

heres the rod here
    http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Micro-Ultralite-4ft-6---Rod-by-Fladen-of-Sweden---Blowout---.html

pics of the fishes in the 'post your catch' thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

if thats you budget then definatly get yourself a shimano aero baitrunner .a good quality carp rod is good for pike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

if your gonna spin, 11ft daiwa wilderness or whisker 20-60gram, abu 5600 multiplier, 50lb power pro braid, berkley wire traces, greys prowla unhooking pliers, wire cutters, soft mesh net, lightweight unhooking mat, and of course the lures... thats my kit for river lure fishing
    12ft deadbait rod and baitrunner only good for static deadbaiting or rod hopping, too heavy for roving with lures, arm ache and back ache after a short session

Advertisement