Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

huskqvarna 236 chainsaw

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

this chainsaw is under special offer in the uk this month for a price of 170 pounds down from 230 pounds with a free extra chain. i can get it delivered to cork for 218 euro from an uk website.
    2 questions
    is this a good saw?
    is this a good price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

paddy cork wrote: »
    this chainsaw is under special offer in the uk this month for a price of 170 pounds down from 230 pounds with a free extra chain. i can get it delivered to cork for 218 euro from an uk website.
    2 questions
    is this a good saw?
    is this a good price?

I have one. Its a great saw. Mine is only a 14 inch, but its great for branching bigger trees or felling smaller ones. Lots of power and extremely light - you could work it all day. The one from the uk may be a 16 inch at that price. You can get a 16 inch one from this Husqvarna dealer in Louth for Eur 209 + EUR 12 delivery and support Irish jobs etc. You will also have an accessible Irish dealer for any warranty work that may be needed. (Mine has cut a lot and needed none though)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Husqvarna-New-box-Chainsaw-236-16-Bar-Great-Price-/130465963310?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item1e60609d2e

Chains are approximately EUR10 on the US site that I posted in a thread here last week.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

paddy cork wrote: »
    2 questions
    is this a good saw?
    is this a good price?

I bought a 455 Rancher about 3 years ago, BIG mistake. The most useless, dangerous pile of cr*p chainsaw I have ever used. First day, chain came off, blamed myself for not being used of the saw. Next day chain off again, got dealer to fit and tension new chain as they too were blaming me for running with loose chain.

Next day off again and this time hit my hand, brought back and traded up for Stihl. (no trouble since needless to say)

I have a fair amout of experience with chainsaws, including many hours working old solid handle Homelites, which never once threw a chain while I was operating them. So personally I think the 455 at least is rubbish but perhaps the smaller models are better, cant comment on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Milton09 wrote: »
    I bought a 455 Rancher about 3 years ago, BIG mistake. The most useless, dangerous pile of cr*p chainsaw I have ever used. First day, chain came off, blamed myself for not being used of the saw. Next day chain off again, got dealer to fit and tension new chain as they too were blaming me for running with loose chain.

Next day off again and this time hit my hand, brought back and traded up for Stihl. (no trouble since needless to say)

I have a fair amout of experience with chainsaws, including many hours working old solid handle Homelites, which never once threw a chain while I was operating them. So personally I think the 455 at least is rubbish but perhaps the smaller models are better, cant comment on those.

Why do you think the chain kept coming off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

jeepers i thought they would be a good saw , did you find out why the chain was coming off ? Did the dealer say if many of them came back with the same problem you were experiencing ? Sounds odd

Bizzum wrote: »
    Why do you think the chain kept coming off?

I dont know but having googled it, it appears to be a fairly common problem.

What really bugged me was the fact that every time the chain came off the sprocket chewed up a few of the drive links. When you tried to put the chain on again it wouldn't fit into the guide bar groove, without filing the links flat again - far from ideal!

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    jeepers i thought they would be a good saw , did you find out why the chain was coming off ? Did the dealer say if many of them came back with the same problem you were experiencing ? Sounds odd

I had high expectations too, maybe that why I'm so disgusted with the bloody thing!

Of course the dealer denied all knowledge of any previous occurances and proceeded to bend me over the counter for the Stihl trade-up:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sam ford

Good evening, has anybody out there used the husvarna 236 chainsaw much,what are they like with a lot of work done,are they reliable,easy fix,any problems,etc.thinking of buying one as a second saw,how much new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

sam ford wrote: »
    Good evening, has anybody out there used the husvarna 236 chainsaw much,what are they like with a lot of work done,are they reliable,easy fix,any problems,etc.thinking of buying one as a second saw,how much new?
    There is a thread right under this one about the 236

I dont know but having googled it, it appears to be a fairly common problem.

What really bugged me was the fact that every time the chain came off the sprocket chewed up a few of the drive links. When you tried to put the chain on again it wouldn't fit into the guide bar groove, without filing the links flat again - far from ideal!

That's interesting.
    I've often had to take the file to a chain when it pops off alright, usually a bit of damage to smooth out!
    Was it oiling the bar fully do you know?

Bizzum wrote: »
    That's interesting.
    I've often had to take the file to a chain when it pops off alright, usually a bit of damage to smooth out!
    Was it oiling the bar fully do you know?

Yes, oiler was working fine, was using 1 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel. In fact I also found it rough enough on fuel.

Previous to buying the rancher I only ever saw one chain to come off a chainsaw and tbh it was my own fault, it was dog loose and working in brutal bad condtions.

• Advertisement

Yes, oiler was working fine, was using 1 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel. In fact I also found it rough enough on fuel.

Previous to buying the rancher I only ever saw one chain to come off a chainsaw and tbh it was my own fault, it was dog loose and working in brutal bad condtions.

I have a Husq 450, probably ten years now, the chain came off it a couple of times, my own fault though.It's a great saw and done a lot of cutting for me.
    I've never used a 455 rancher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi mods can we merge these?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

[Threads merged]

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Nearly bought one of these at the ploughing but I got a second hand stihl instead. The dealer told me he got a good few of the husky 550s that were on offer back with broken crankshafts. Said the 236 was fine. I'd still prefer the stihl though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bought a nearly new stihl 250 there recently, great little saw, delighted with it

Advertisement